JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My interest in the 17 WSM has recently been piqued, so off we went to cabelas to put eyes and mitts on one. When I asked, he tells me they don't carry any...the cartridge is dying.

I have never been interested in a 17 cal. before now so I never bothered to look into it. Now that I have a little bit, it seems the advantages of the WSM over the HMR should be a no-brainer. Getting that extra yardage into 200+ makes it a viable tool in my mind...something between the 22's and overkill.

Savage seems to have screwed the whole thing up from the start, so I get that, but why aren't more manufacturers offer chambering?

I hate to say it but I agree. The 17HMR is just more accepted and ammunition is readily available. For the range, there are other calibers that fit the bill that aren't as sensitive to a 17cal bore.
Yes, Savage didn't do a great job with the original BMag, (which I absolutely love the weight of while doing walking verminting) and there are very few parts available to replace or upgrade apart from the factory or a custom gunsmith, but at that cost....
Additionally, the 17 is not as forgiving as the 22LR with regard to cleaning the bore, vs larger calibers.

Those that have one tend to either love it or hate it. I have heard more happy campers from the Savage BMag heavy barrel, (it's what the original should've been). But without widespread adoption among other factory options, it won't make the long term. Much like the 260 Rem.

The round is awesome, it's fun to shoot, almost zero recoil, and can produce decent groups. And you can get 50rnds for $18. Of course it is failing.

Last Edited:
So even if it drops off as a seller, what about those that have them? The ones who spent 2K or more for a nice volquartsen, the ones who sorted out the bubblegum the factory dumped out and the other one who did the usual?

Is there going to be ammo long term I would invest in a volquartsen if I knew the answer to that question was a yes.

The cartridge and its introduction is a test case and fine example of what role market hype plays in the firearms field especially regarding "the next best thing" of cartridges. The HMR was received well (despite being a concept tried and failed in the past: 5mm Rem). Because it did so well, the long rifle version of .17 stumbled (despite being a more accurate cartridge) and now the WSM is destined to the dust heap as well. There was no more room for a .17 rimfire.

Frustrated potential buyers of the cartridge should take a hard look at the .17 Hornet. It seems to be going pretty strong but time will tell. Regardless of that outcome, handloading insulates the happy .17 shooter from market twists and turns.

Frustrated potential buyers of the cartridge should take a hard look at the .17 Hornet. It seems to be going pretty strong but time will tell. Regardless of that outcome, handloading insulates the happy .17 shooter from market twists and turns

I don't have the space, money or time to get into handloading at this point...as much as I would like to. That's what was so appealing about the WSM, good range in a convenient and reasonably priced rimfire. The interest in a .17 isn't enough for me to make the leap to centerfire and the HMR just doesn't quite do it for me..oh well, figures.

To all those that invested, here a present from the industry...:s0124:

If I believed everything I hear from the guys behind the gun counter at Cabela's I'd me so misinformed on a lot of things.

It's hard to do better than something that is already pretty good. 17hmr is just plain good. Increasing the speed isn't going to mean it will instantly replace the one before it.

I don't think it will die off completely. It will just go into hiding like 40sw.

Maybe someone will release a gun chambered in it that will bring it back. Like ruger releasing their 57.

Hmmm, I'm going to follow this as I've been saving my pennies for a VQ in 17 WSM since they started building them. Only reason is; I absolutely HATE reloading for my 17 Remington.

There's prolly not gonna be much to follow...this thread is dying, much like the WSM:s0140:

If I believed everything I hear from the guys behind the gun counter at Cabela's I'd me so misinformed on a lot of things.
I asked the guy at Cabelas just before New Years to please show me any Savage model 10, 11, or 12 that they had, whatever was cheapest. He looks at the rack, grabs a rifle, then hands me a 110.

I explain to him that Savage makes two and three digit models and that I wanted one of the two digit models. He goes back to the rack...says they have 110's, 111's, but he's not seeing any 10's, 11's, or 12's. (He also tried to tell me that Savage didn't make a model 10, 11, or 12)

Meanwhile, just to the left of the long action Savages sat a whole 'nother column of Savages that he completely ignored...(these happened to be the short action Savages).

Yea, the guys behind the counter there aren't what you would call "product experts."

I got tired of the guy so I took my toddler to go see the fish. Came back and spoke to another guy who immediately found me a model 12 for $320. Turns out, they had 10+ in inventory. He was boxing it up when the first guy looked at it and said, "holy bubblegum where did you find that? I had a customer here earlier looking for one!"

Gents, they had 10+ in stock. Salesman 1 didn't even think the model existed.

:rolleyes:

I quit spending money in there a while back...only go in to look at something.

I guess I can't even do that anymore:(

If there is anyone in the St. Helens area that would like some 17 WSM ammo I have 3 boxes that I was given. I have no use for these so would like to give them to someone who could use them. Just come by and pick them up.

amm-1027-001-50.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR