JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anybody have current info on this location? Pictures? What's it like? Thought about going just not sure what to expect.
After exiting the highway, go towards Browns Camp, and when you get close there is a T with a stop sign. Turn right towards the gravel pit instead of left towards Browns Camp. It's a short way down. I like it but it tends to close for gravel mining at unpredictable intervals. There are a couple spots close by I'll go to in that event. It's a cool spot. Good long distances to shoot and if you get there early (before lunch haha) then there is usually lots of room. Bonus points for off road atv & motorcycle spotting in the area.

I'm heading out there in a couple few weeks to try out some new toys if you want a tour. Let me know. Thanks.

I stopped going to the rock quarry a while back because it was always crowded and I bumped into waaay to many country blumpkins who drink and shoot or don't understand the concept of a cold range or muzzle control... Best of luck though. I would recommend wolf creek road ranges over browns camp every day of the week.

What kind of range are we talking about? Anywhere in this area to stretch 100-200yrds and still do it safely? One other question, any issues setting up steel for rifles in any of the pits up there? Never been out this area before but I need to start scouting as I want to shoot more often. TriCounty waiting list is out till next year :/.

Another question: this may totally lend itself to purely peoples opinion, but...would any of you have recommendations on which areas would be the best for me to go? Off 26 or 6? I'm only looking to hit paper/steel at 100 or more. Shooting prone on a mat. Any help would be appreciated.

Another question: this may totally lend itself to purely peoples opinion, but...would any of you have recommendations on which areas would be the best for me to go? Off 26 or 6? I'm only looking to hit paper/steel at 100 or more. Shooting prone on a mat. Any help would be appreciated.
You could do that at Brown's or Wolf Creek provided they aren't crowded but I'd go to English Pit in Vancouver if you want a true marked off lane.

You could do that at Brown's or Wolf Creek provided they aren't crowded but I'd go to English Pit in Vancouver if you want a true marked off lane.

English Pit may be out of the way but it's always a good option. For indoor I like Rich's in Donald near Wilsonville. Both English Pit and Rich's are under $20 and you can use you own ammo.

I stopped going to the rock quarry a while back because it was always crowded and I bumped into waaay to many country blumpkins who drink and shoot or don't understand the concept of a cold range or muzzle control... Best of luck though. I would recommend wolf creek road ranges over browns camp every day of the week.

The only Aholes I've seen up there were city folk's being stupid.

The only Aholes I've seen up there were city folk's being stupid.
True haha. That said, I haven't had others experience with bad actors there vs anywhere else. I think these bad shooters show up anywhere that is known. Wolf Creek I'm sure will see an uptick as it's easier to get too and fairly well known now.

What I've seen is just getting there in the morning anywhere minimizes the dummy factor. They tend to show up after lunch. Browns camp DOES have a reputation for rowdiness after it gets dark. And as someone who has been there overnight for off-roading fun, I would say that reputation is warranted although I hear it is getting better.

You guys have had much better luck than I have. I prefer shooting at places that are so how vehicle lane type spots. That way you never even have to worry about other people. There are spots like that all over timber off 26.

You guys have had much better luck than I have. I prefer shooting at places that are so how vehicle lane type spots. That way you never even have to worry about other people. There are spots like that all over timber off 26.

Where at ? I live in Hillsboro and can't figure out where to go. It can be small I just hate crowded areas haha

What kind of range are we talking about? Anywhere in this area to stretch 100-200yrds and still do it safely? One other question, any issues setting up steel for rifles in any of the pits up there? Never been out this area before but I need to start scouting as I want to shoot more often. TriCounty waiting list is out till next year :/.
If you're on the wait list for tri county, I'd be happy to meet you and have you shoot as my guest. Ping me if you like.

Have you been out to Browns Camp yet? Google earth coordinates are: 45.6097, -123.3626
It's a big gravel pit - you can drive a passenger car up there - just dodge the potholes on the gravel road. I haven't been there in a couple of years - there is a bulletin board with a few rules - seems like one rule was no explosive targets (don't want to start a forest fire) - don't know about steel. Per Google Earth the pit is about 200 yards long. You can drive right up to where you shoot - for example you could back a pickup in and shoot off the pickup. If there is gravel excavation equipment in the pit you can't shoot there. There are other places nearby that I've used - not sure what the rules are, but you'll see old targets at the other places (I try to pack out some of it). During the week you might be the only one there. I have seen law enforcement patrolling the roads back there - not sure what for - ATVs? Hunters? Firewood cutters?

Here's a question for those who shoot at Browns Camp - when you shoot there - and you want to walk out and look at your targets, do you:
a) lock gun in car
b) leave it out near car
c) carry it with you
d) leave a shooting partner to guard stuff while you go

I've never heard of anyone snatching a gun from a place like that, but I guess it could happen.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top