JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought an Instant Pot but haven't used it yet. Does anyone else own an Instant Pot and have a good recipe to share?

I found this recipe today and I may try it on the weekend.

Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff

upload_2017-12-13_12-47-36.png

Make this Umami Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe (Pressure Cooker Beef Stroganoff)! A satisfying mouthful sensation of tender beef in addictive umami sauce. Satisfying meal bursting with layers & depths of bold flavors.

Instant Pot Umami Beef Stroganoff Recipe

Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 6

Ingredients
  • 2 pounds (937g) well marbled chuck roast
  • 1/2 pound (226g) white button mushrooms , sliced
  • 1 (253g) large onions , sliced
  • 3 cloves (11g) garlic , sliced
  • ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine (Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, or Unoaked Chardonnay)
  • 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon paprika , separated to ½ tsp (Optional)
  • Salt & black pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon (8g) flour
  • 1 cup (250ml) sour cream or greek yogurt , room temperature

Chicken Stock Mixture
  • ¾ cup (188ml) unsalted homemade chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon (15ml) light soy sauce (not low sodium soy sauce)
  • 1 tablespoon (15ml) fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon (15g) dijon mustard

Thickener
  • 2 tablespoons (18g) cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons (30ml) cold water

Noodles
  • 360 grams dry egg noodles 90g per person, cooked 10 minutes in lightly salted water

Garnish:
  • Finely chopped parsley or chives

Instructions
  1. Prepare Pressure Cooker: Heat up your pressure cooker over medium high heat (Instant Pot: press Sauté button and click the adjust button to go to Sauté More function). Make sure your pot is as hot as it can be (Instant Pot: wait until the indicator says HOT).
  2. Prep Ingredients: While the pressure cooker is heating up, prepare ingredients as indicated (you should have about 24 mins including the time for browning the chuck steak).
  3. Make Paprika Salt Mixture: Combine ½ tsp paprika, 4 pinches of coarse kosher salt, and black pepper in a small mixing bowl.
  4. Brown Chuck Steak: Season one side of the chuck steak generously with Paprika Salt Mixture. Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in pressure cooker. Ensure to coat the oil over whole bottom of the pot. Carefully place the seasoned side of chuck steak in pressure cooker. Generously season the other side with Salt Mixture (you may not need all the Salt Mixture). Brown for 7 mins on each side without flipping. The chuck steak may look "blackened" or burnt. Don't worry, it will be fine! Remove and set aside on a chopping board.
  5. Make Chicken Stock Mixture: While the chuck steak is browning in pressure cooker, mix 1 tbsp (15ml) light soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) fish sauce, 1 tbsp (15ml) Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, and ¾ cup (188ml) unsalted chicken stock in a glass measuring cup.
  6. Sauté Mushroom: Add ½ lb (226g) sliced white button mushrooms in the pressure cooker. Sauté until mushrooms are slightly crisped and browned (roughly 8 minutes). The mushrooms will begin to release their moisture in roughly 3 minutes. Use the moisture to deglaze bottom of the pot by scrubbing the flavorful brown bits with a wooden spoon.
  7. Sauté Onions & Garlic: Add in onion slices and saute for another 2 minutes. Add in sliced garlic and saute until fragrant (~30 seconds). The Instant Pot may turn off itself after 30 minutes of sauteing (safety feature). Turn it back on if it turns off.
  8. Deglaze: Pour in ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine and completely deglaze bottom of the pot. Allow the wine to reduce for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat briefly to cut the chuck steak.
  9. Cut Chuck Steak: Cut the chuck steak into ⅛ inch thick beef slices. Since chuck roast grains run in different directions, slice it against the grain the best you can. Mix beef slices with 1 tbsp of flour (8g) in a large mixing bowl.
  10. Pressure Cook Beef Slices: Stir in ½ tsp paprika and Chicken Stock Mixture from Step 5. Place beef slices and flavorful meat juice in the pressure cooker. Make sure all beef slices are partially submerged in the cooking liquid. Close lid and pressure cook at High Pressure for 12 minutes + 12 minutes Natural Release (wait 12 minutes then carefully release remaining pressure). Turn off the heat. Open the lid.
  11. Cook Dry Egg Noodles: While the pressure cooker is cooking, heat a large saucepan filled with lightly salted water and bring it to a boil. In a small mixing bowl, place 1 cup (250ml) sour cream from the fridge and bring it to room temperature. When the pressure cooker is natural releasing, place dry egg noodles in boiling water and cook for about 9 - 13 minutes (see package's direction for more accurate cooking time).
  12. Temper & Add Sour Cream: Press Cancel Button, then Sauté Button to heat up the sauce in the pot. Slowly mix 1 cup of sauce mixture into the sour cream (at room temperature) to temper it. Slowly pour sour cream mixture in the pressure cooker while mixing.
  13. Thicken Sauce: In a small mixing bowl, mix cornstarch with water and mix it in one third at a time until desired thickness. Taste and adjust the seasoning with kosher salt and black pepper if necessary.
  14. Serve: In a serving bowl, layer beef slices on top of cooked egg noodles. Drizzle with the yummy sauce and garnish with finely chopped parsley or chives.

My wife has one of these...
I've gotta say, at first I thought it was an "as seen on TV" gimmick.
But the quality of the materials and construction is very high, and the chow coming out of it is excellent.
She's already a good cook, and this thing has upped her game.

Cut your beef stew meat in 1/2" cubes, chop half a white onion, chop 3 or 4 stalks of celery, slice about a cup of carrots, and cube a couple of large potatoes. Press "saute" on the pot and put in the meat and onion, add a tablespoon of chopped garlic, a little thyme and basil, and maybe a bay leaf. Stir until the meat is browned. Add 1/2 cup of sherry, 1/2 cup of water, a little salt, and stir. Dump in everything else. Put the lid on and press "meat/stew", put your feet up and pop a brew. In about 30 minutes you'll have beef stew that tastes like it's been cooking all day, with chunks of meat that melt in your mouth.

I like to also add some chopped mushrooms, but I don't tell my wife. :)

I have made chili by putting in a 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef, plus all the usual ingredients in the pot, putting the lid on and pressing "chili".

You can also make cheesecake in it. That's my wife's department and the result is amazing.

If you make soup in it you'll have soup that tastes like it cooked all day in about 20 minutes.

The best part of this whole thing is there's no babysitting. You can go read a book or reload some ammo.

Tagged!

Just bought one too. The 8 qt monster. I need a chicken recipe for it. Something I can throw a "Costco" pallet of chicken into and come out the other end with a truckload of delicious "chickeny" yumminess.

Look for a 50's or 60's cookbook;).

My dad just recently told me a story about when he was just out of college and a co-worker asked where he lived. When he described the area the co-worker said, "Oh, down by the pressure cooker bars!".

My dad ask the obvious question and his co-worker said he called them pressure cooker bars because all of the house wives would put dinner together in the morning and go hang out at the bar all day, then head home and pretend they had been working on dinner all day:D.

I like crock pots but would love a pressure cooker.

When I saw instant pot, I figured they were smoking it stems and seeds and all.

Probably a variant on the processing. That is the stuff left after they trim the bud off, then they just grind it all up and roll it up into those .50 cent joints the dispensaries run as their specials. Give you a brief buzz followed by a headache that will roll your eyeballs out.

Comparable to the Folgers coffee in cans that seem to be the standard at every police and fire station in the Untied States, brewed by the gallon and consumed in mass quantities. Swept up off the floor of the coffee processing line with the dust and rat sh*t mixed in. I got buddies that are 10 years retired still slamming that nasty sh*t every day.

My wife just bought our older kids each one of the big ones for X-mas. They're always busy and have families, she watched the commercials and figured they could make good meals quick w/then. I don't know anything about them personally and really haven't paid any attention as I figured it's just another one of those new fangled things people just have to have then they sit in the pantry for 10 years after being used once or twice before taking them into Goodwill. I'm intrigued now, may have to look into them. We love to cook, sounds like a great way to tender up some game meat among other things.

Rice:

1 cup rice
2 cups water
a little salt (optional)
a little butter (optional)

Put the lid on and press "Rice".

15 minutes later you have perfect rice.

Well, it's probably cheaper than a few cooking lessons.

Fortunately I acquired my cooking lessons a few at a time over a number of years, so I'm good.

So I think I'll save the money and buy some more ammo.
But thanks anyway.
Merry Christmas!

It took me a few years to convince the wife to get one, but glad we do.

One issue I have is finding easy to use recipes. Not as in easy to cook like a bake potatoe
but not having to thru pages and pages and videos.

I like simple

Week Chicken Lunch

Take out frozen Chicken. 3 ~4 lbs.
Put in Pot - still frozen.
Add 1 cup water
Add seasonings ( find a combo you like or regional ie: Chinese/Italian/French - American is Garlic Salt Pepper )
Press go, on high temp
Set timer for 1hr.
Natural cool down/depressurize
debone, chunk or shred meat
Store in 1 qt canning jars

This is mostly cooked chicken. Then use in a stir fry / stew / over with rice&veggies / omelet where this finishes the cooking.

I fill the jars about half way with chicken, (by weight ~8oz chix) store in fridge
Then fill with frozen veggie mix (CostCo) and take the jar to work for lunch. Just dump on a plate and microwave. The frozen veggies will have thawed by lunch mostly, and it's about 3mins in the 1000 watt micros here.

Tagged!

Just bought one too. The 8 qt monster. I need a chicken recipe for it. Something I can throw a "Costco" pallet of chicken into and come out the other end with a truckload of delicious "chickeny" yumminess.
If I was cooking the non-frozen Costco packs, then I use 3 packs in the Instapot, cause that is what fits in mine, and shorten the time 15 mins.
I like the chicken thighs from Costco best.

Check out this site Cooking for Engineers
just a random recipe as an example. He doesn't have any Instapot/pressure cooker options, but I do like the way the steps are presented.

Do you have any good - straight forward - type sites to recommend?

My 2 Go-To sources:
America's Test Kitchen
Alton Brown

A couple examples:

ATK on U-Tuby
The standard version behind their paywall though

Alton
this one says 10 hrs, but that includes 8 hours of waiting for the dumpling dough ...

I will say that ATK with the girls is a p0rn experience. Listen/watch as they taste. Giada is another p0rn star for that reason.

Wife bought a couple of these things. First one worked so well she bought another and gave old one to one kid. Both of them really love them. When I was a kid people used pressure cookers. They did a great job but were a lot more work. These things you just program and walk away. Hell even I can make stuff with one. That tells you how easy they are to use :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top