JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to invest into an AR15. I have just under $1,000 and have found a couple of local gun shops that sell complete AR's for around $600-$800. Most GS's carry completes with name brands (bushmaster, S&W) without the forward assist and dust flap etc... a couple of stores carry completes with "off" brand lowers such as armstrong and surplus ammo.

Questions:
1) I know there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. Are these lowers just inexpensive because they don't carry a big name or are they cheaply made. I don't want to have to replace because it will fail.

2) Is there any reason not to get an "off" brand lower like this, then make upgrades as paychecks come in?

With all the newly CT "felons" (I Stand with CT) and our fairly liberal state (OR). I figure it would be better to have an AR now than to not have if/when needed.

The Specific complete I am looking at is an Armstrong lower .223 / 5.56; 1-9 twist.

Most blemish lowers are just as strong as standard lowers minus minor cosmetic differences.
For your lower, thats not where accuracy comes into play, so it isn't an issue. Fit and finish may be a little off but its well within acceptable levels.

I have lowers that I paid bigger $ for and I also have cheap anderson arms $70 lowers that provide the same level of performance. Honestly, i doubt anyone here has trained hard enough to really know if there is a weak point in/on these so called "entry level" cheaper lowers they balk at.
If you pay more for a lower.. There really isnt much you get out of it moreso than any other.
With ARs right now prices are back down to $580-650 for decent entry level ARs.. Id just get one of those rather than build one right now.. It wont really save you any money.

Uppers/barrels and BCGs are a different story. Your FCG
(fire control group) can play a part in it as well.. But again, unless its a person who competes or does precision target work then I doubt the average guy can really feel or need the benefit from a tier 1 FCG

And lastly, what did you mean in your post where you said you stand with CT? Do you mean you stand with the tyrants or you stand with the patriots
(folks who refuse to register)?

I picked up an Anderson Arms lower from lowpriceguns.com in Bellevue, at around 69. It is a non blem aluminum lower and I think it would suit me just fine. I have got a DPMS LPK, BCM mil spec buffer kit and a Tapco Mil spec M4 stock in transit for the complete lower. I am sure you can fine similar stripped lowers at the LGS. That is ~200 for a complete AR with decent parts. If you really like doing stuff with your own hands (I do) then its a decent option

Most blemish lowers are just as strong as standard lowers minus minor cosmetic differences.
For your lower, thats not where accuracy comes into play, so it isn't an issue. Fit and finish may be a little off but its well within acceptable levels.

I have lowers that I paid bigger $ for and I also have cheap anderson arms $70 lowers that provide the same level of performance. Honestly, i doubt anyone here has trained hard enough to really know if there is a weak point in/on these so called "entry level" cheaper lowers they balk at.
If you pay more for a lower.. There really isnt much you get out of it moreso than any other.
With ARs right now prices are back down to $580-650 for decent entry level ARs.. Id just get one of those rather than build one right now.. It wont really save you any money.

Uppers/barrels and BCGs are a different story. Your FCG
(fire control group) can play a part in it as well.. But again, unless its a person who competes or does precision target work then I doubt the average guy can really feel or need the benefit from a tier 1 FCG

And lastly, what did you mean in your post where you said you stand with CT? Do you mean you stand with the tyrants or you stand with the patriots
(folks who refuse to register)?

That is a great point. I am looking to just enjoy the firearm. I just don't want to get something that will need to be replaced in near future. I was shown a full composite upper and lower a week ago that is when I started thinking about overall quality and longevity.

With regards to the CT comment. I am frustrated by the officials of CT turning legal and responsible gun owners into felons. I stand with the patriot citizens of Connecticut.

Unless you have shot a bunch of different ARs or are wanting something specific, you are probably best to buy one and change it as you go and figure out what you like and don't like on the gun. Most of the guys I know bought their first couple complete then built one, or many for different applications.

Yeah I tend to enjoy building things and tinkering. However since this is my first I'd like to buy a complete and make upgrades. My only thing is, is it worth getting a less expensive lower and begin upgrading on to that platform?

Like was said earlier the earlier the lower doesn't do much for accuracy, if it's way out of spec you can have feeding issues (from what I have read, I'm new to building as well).

I'd buy one for the going prices now although I built one during the 2013 panic just because the last few years convinced me I really needed one if they wanted them banned that much. Spent near double on lower and about 20% higher on other components but I am pleased with mine. Got a good 1 in 7 twist Bravo Company middie complete upper, ACT trigger and magpul in the appropriate places. Took forever to get a BCG because the few that any one had were like 200% of retail. That was one of the last items I bought for about 120% of retail. I paid to play but no regrets. Got an Aero Precision lower because I wanted a EBR born in Tacoma, like me.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads