JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome, wanna 3D print me some parts? :D
I'd totally be up for it once we get our print settings down. Right now we are playing around with some of the printable AR lowers and whatnot from Fosscad but getting way too much warping to consider using them (we have only had the printer about a month now). Lemme know if you have anything in particular you are thinking of getting printed and I'll see what I can do.

Welcome, and be sure to post some videos when you blow some sh1t up!
Hah, I was considering looking into the local pyro club (North West Pyrotechnics Association) and seeing if they actually do any events where you actually get to build 1.3g shells/rockets/salutes instead of just buying and shooting 1.3/1.4g stuff. Its tons of fun but when you consider you end up spending 20+ hours and depending on the shell/rocket up to maybe 60$ for something that discharges in a couple seconds its not the best hobby for someone on a tight budget. At least with guns I can save my brass and reload =)

With a witty Moniker like MooThulHu, an HP "Bove"craftian nod that any nerd, whether gun, book, or 'puter can appreciate, you couldn't come up with something punny? Oh, wait...you did. My bad. All our bases are belong to us. (Now I'm showing my age.) Welcome aboard. :p

hello-cthulhu-cthulhu-demotivational-poster-1242092957.jpg

Just how Cthute is that, eh?

tac

Huh, I had no idea. But that's not hard, giggity.

Now I know what the heck that purple octopus was all about.. strung up at The Greek Cuisina for all those years.
Now it's by a storage place on Barbur.

th?id=OIP.uueVbVjOSEkXmV5QylhE2AEsDh&w=283&h=202&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.7.jpg

Welcome.
Once you get your ARs put together you should consider attending a local Appleseed. You'll get to shoot on a "new to you" range and will meet some like minded people.

I'd totally be up for it once we get our print settings down. Right now we are playing around with some of the printable AR lowers and whatnot from Fosscad but getting way too much warping to consider using them (we have only had the printer about a month now). Lemme know if you have anything in particular you are thinking of getting printed and I'll see what I can do.

Hah, I was considering looking into the local pyro club (North West Pyrotechnics Association) and seeing if they actually do any events where you actually get to build 1.3g shells/rockets/salutes instead of just buying and shooting 1.3/1.4g stuff. Its tons of fun but when you consider you end up spending 20+ hours and depending on the shell/rocket up to maybe 60$ for something that discharges in a couple seconds its not the best hobby for someone on a tight budget. At least with guns I can save my brass and reload =)

Just curious what print media you are getting warping on.
I have a home brew machine printing PLA for the purpose of lost PLA casting.
I have found the FOSS CAD prints to require some "tweaking" to produce good g-code.

I have a well refined, completely manifold 1911 .stl if you want to slice it and try it.

~Whitney

orygun: its funny you say that because I've been wanting to do an appleseed event ever since seeing it mentioned in one of Freds m14 stocks ad's in Shotgun News years back. I've put the idea out there with my partner, her father and mother and it sounds like we are going to make it happen. Thanks for the suggestion, I had totally forgotten about Appleseed!

Whitney: we have been printing in ABS on a Monoprice maker ultimate. Thus far we only have made one other attempt printing with ABS and it didn't fare much better so I'm thinking it may be part of the learning experience ( In fact we are pretty new to 3d printing in general, thankfully my partners father is an engineer and has been able to help out considerably).

As for the quality with the stuff from Foss Cad I can't say it all seems to be very plug and play or workable (especially that mortar shell, It seems like something that even Ragnar Benson or Kurt Saxon would nope away from in an instant). But troubleshooting stuff and figuring out what works is totally part of the fun for me.

I would be very interested in the 1911 .stl, out of curiosity are you using it to cast frames ? I only know what lost PLA casting is, not any good places to learn about it, where would be a good place to learn more about it ? Last time I did any casting was in metal shop back in middle school but I remember it being pretty awesome.

orygun: its funny you say that because I've been wanting to do an appleseed event ever since seeing it mentioned in one of Freds m14 stocks ad's in Shotgun News years back. I've put the idea out there with my partner, her father and mother and it sounds like we are going to make it happen. Thanks for the suggestion, I had totally forgotten about Appleseed!

Whitney: we have been printing in ABS on a Monoprice maker ultimate. Thus far we only have made one other attempt printing with ABS and it didn't fare much better so I'm thinking it may be part of the learning experience ( In fact we are pretty new to 3d printing in general, thankfully my partners father is an engineer and has been able to help out considerably).

As for the quality with the stuff from Foss Cad I can't say it all seems to be very plug and play or workable (especially that mortar shell, It seems like something that even Ragnar Benson or Kurt Saxon would nope away from in an instant). But troubleshooting stuff and figuring out what works is totally part of the fun for me.

I would be very interested in the 1911 .stl, out of curiosity are you using it to cast frames ? I only know what lost PLA casting is, not any good places to learn about it, where would be a good place to learn more about it ? Last time I did any casting was in metal shop back in middle school but I remember it being pretty awesome.

I am indeed using the model to cast frames. I am pretty much self taught. I have a copy of machinerys handbook and I can read about as good as anyone else. What I can not get from the handbook I can find on the internet. My main source of material is silicone bronze, it is strong as steel and with the advent of stainless steel you can easily find it in boatyards.

I have also found printing long horizontal shells is difficult. Try printing the long axis in a vertical plane, you may need more support, the premise being your heat is consistent and even. Concentrating the heat in a central area as opposed to a long back and forth extrusion may get you there.

With regard to learning I would suggest some research on "investment casting" as that is the basic process to transform a plastic or wax model to metal.

~Whitney

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads