JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in my buy/sell/trade days where I would take an arm load of guns to a gun show and take home a different load of guns I had a couple #1's one in 30-06 and one in 7mm Mag. In the ensuing frenzy somehow those guns went away and have never came back and I really don't know why. I liked them both but apparently something else shiny cought my eye so away they went. I'd have another if the price and timing was right.

Back when Ruger first came out with those "boat paddle" stock model 77's, a lot of guys must have turned in their man card. I lived down by Roseburg at the time and the local gun shop walls were filled with used .338 and .300 Win mags. I had one in .223 and did not care for the way that gun felt against my cheek. Would never have considered shooting one of those magnums equipped with that stock.
Yes sir some magnums can be brutal in a bad configuration for example a Tikka T3 Lite in 338 WM !

I always liked the looks of those Ruger #1 rifles, even the ones that weren't as fancy. My dad had one in .25-06 many years ago. It broke his heart that he could never seem to develop a load that provided solid accuracy. (We are both big .25-06 fans.) He gave up on it and sold it long before he passed away, so I have never owned a #1 myself. I would still consider it though. As stated earlier in the thread - the accuracy seems to be hit and miss with them. I would hold out hope for a hit.
This little gadget will fix'em.
e.arthur brown

I had a 1V heavy barrel model in 22-250 that was a tack driver! Slaughtered lots of rockchucks laying down on the rocks (2" target zone) at 200yds.

Man it was a beauty and I really miss it... had to sell a bunch of rifles to finance my divorce. :(

Thanks for the advice. I can see from the Ruger mount that is on the rifle that the rings need to be of equal height so that part is figured out. I'm not going to cheap out on the rings, I'll just try to get new Ruger brand rings for it. I'll probably get the scope first, then size the ring height as appropriate. The rifle doesn't have a Monte Carlo stock comb, obviously, so I don't want a scope that is too high.
You're most likely going to need to find a nice leather cheek riser. Even with the lowest scope mounts and rings, my No.1 needs one. Bought a cheap nylon one off Amazon while I look for a leather one to match the "elegance"

I had a 1V heavy barrel model in 22-250 that was a tack driver! Slaughtered lots of rockchucks laying down on the rocks (2" target zone) at 200yds.

Man it was a beauty and I really miss it... had to sell a bunch of rifles to finance my divorce. :(
I'm dating myself a bit, but I bought my first No.1 from Butch's Gun Shop on Aurora back in the 20th Century. Fortunately, those clowns didn't know what they had. For $750 I got a 22-250 that I could never get to shoot to my satisfaction. The Leupold target scope on the rifle I sold on EBay for $500 and let the rifle go a few years later for $800. No wonder Butch's cratered.

My 375 H&H #1 was really accurate. Not benchrest, but close with a 275 gr Woodleigh soft point.
Purchased that rifle with fantasies of hunting African plains game, but that never happened, so used it to hunt locally.
My longest shot was on a blacktail with that gun. Kneeled, and took a accross-the-canyon shot at a enormous feeding 4 point. Hit him broadside right in the heart from about 300 yards.
Maybe a mixture of luck, skill and good equipment, but the stars always seem to be aligned with that rifle.

My 375 H&H #1 was really accurate. Not benchrest, but close with a 275 gr Woodleigh soft point.
Purchased that rifle with fantasies of hunting African plains game, but that never happened, so used it to hunt locally.
My longest shot was on a blacktail with that gun. Kneeled, and took a accross-the-canyon shot at a enormous feeding 4 point. Hit him broadside right in the heart from about 300 yards.
Maybe a mixture of luck, skill and good equipment, but the stars always seem to be aligned with that rifle.
My .458 Lott Ruger #1 shooting 500gn was also quite accurate though shooting it off the bench was not much fun.

I purchased a Ruger #1 b Red Pad in 270 win from Cabellas for $700 with a Glossy Leopold gold ring VX something it was fate guess what my dad got for his 70th birthday ! The thing was in great shape they had just taken it out of the gun room and put it on the rack with other mic stuff lol.
Is that the one you wanted me to buy LOL?
I did want to sell it was a bit spicy but after a few updates it is like a 308 my daughter will even shoot it

C02CD23E-848F-414F-A445-BB4EE4F1E2E6.png

As you certainly know, one's shoulder geometry is different on the bench versus standing or kneeling.
Some use shooting sticks when sighting in a handheld artillery piece.
It was certainly a handful even with the truck axle sized barrel. Shooting 350gn Barnes copper hollow points was a little easier on the shoulder.
Now I'm starting to regret selling my #1's, why did I start reading this thread! 😭

When I decided to buy a quality modern Single Shot rifle, I had no rifle. Fresh out of the service where my guns were stolen, I came home unarmed. First, I bought a Ruger Single Six (because I could feed AND defend myself with it). Then I bought the Single Shot. It was a Browning B78 .25-06 (because I could hunt anything with it).

Dad had the Ruger. His is the one in the middle, and my inspiration toward the other two.
1678491008930.jpeg
Top to bottom: Ruger Number 1S .218 Bee./ Ruger Number 1B .25-06./ Colton Custom Ruger Number 1 .257 Colton Magnum. Note the offset rings on the top 2 guns.

When I decided to buy a quality modern Single Shot rifle, I had no rifle. Fresh out of the service where my guns were stolen, I came home unarmed. First, I bought a Ruger Single Six (because I could feed AND defend myself with it). Then I bought the Single Shot. It was a Browning B78 .25-06 (because I could hunt anything with it).

Dad had the Ruger. His is the one in the middle, and my inspiration toward the other two.
View attachment 1381034
Top to bottom: Ruger Number 1S .218 Bee./ Ruger Number 1B .25-06./ Colton Custom Ruger Number 1 .257 Colton Magnum. Note the offset rings on the top 2 guns.
Wowzers would you look at the wood on those smoke poles beautiful !

I'm not ashamed to say I'm just not a magnum guy for any extended range sessions. Go ahead take my man card... But the thing was pretty darn abusive to shoot.
My man card is forfeit as well. One time I got a screaming deal on a circa 1976 Win. Model 70 in .300 Win Mag. It was a visual mate to my 1977 Model 70 in .308 Win, no recoil pad from the factory on either one. How bad can it be? So bad that the ebony tip on the front of the stock backed out on its dowels. I fired four shots; after that I found a new home for it.

You're most likely going to need to find a nice leather cheek riser. Even with the lowest scope mounts and rings, my No.1 needs one. Bought a cheap nylon one off Amazon while I look for a leather one to match the "elegance"
That is a distinct possibility. I have one of those black nylon sets with the three different risers, I will try that first if necessary.

Scope selection is cause for ponder. A scope long enough for proper eye relief of course projects back over the chamber area. I've been reading about scope technicals for these rifles. Some have been fitted with LER scopes, I'm wondering if that is a way to go. I had a nice Leupold LER scope on a Swiss K.31 that worked out well.

I'm dating myself a bit, but I bought my first No.1 from Butch's Gun Shop on Aurora back in the 20th Century. Fortunately, those clowns didn't know what they had. For $750 I got a 22-250 that I could never get to shoot to my satisfaction. The Leupold target scope on the rifle I sold on EBay for $500 and let the rifle go a few years later for $800. No wonder Butch's cratered
Oh yeah, I am a former Butch's customer. Yes, you could get some deals in there. Of course, we have to remember that this was pre-internet. Before the days of everybody knowing within five cents what the value of any object is at any given time.

I would just about gag every time I went into Butch's, the rank smell of stale nicotine permeated everything in the store. These days, it's hard to imagine a retail establishment to be found that is as run-down as Butch's was. But I miss those old places, like Hardwick's Hardware in the U district. Ne'er a QR to be found there. If I need a fix for old and ramshackle, I can always go to Second Chance or Habitat for Humanity.

What I really miss about Butch's was the time I went in there and they were closing out reloading supplies. Everything was 90% off marked price. Powder, bullets, the works. I really loaded up that day.

Later wood may have become less noticeable, but the exceptional wood on most Number 1's "back in the day" was a sort of taken-for-granted thing.

Even to the degree that when a Model 77 showed figure, it was a running joke to claim the wood had missed being diverted to the Number 1 line. :cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top