JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
I know we are drifting away from the original post but since the drill press in question has been found and acquired I'm gonna say no harm no foul :D

I make my living with tools, including machinery I've got several million dollars worth at replacement cost.

There is a lot of truth in the old adage "buy once, cry once" meaning if you buy quality you only cry at the price, if you don't you cry every time you use it.

Not everyone has a need for the kind or quality of tools I do, but my personal feeling is it is simply more enjoyable to do things using a quality tool, especially tools I use every day. On my tool cart/welder I have a hand made damascus center punch as well as a hand made scribe and hand made hammers. They don't work any better than a "good" version bought at a store but they bring a little joy to me each time I pick one up, which is dozens of times a day. There is something satisfying about using a good tool. I create things from an idea every day and the soul of every tool I use I think can be reflected in the finished product, a man who is passionate about his tools is likely passionate about his work.

Unfortunately we have become a "good enough" society. The vast majority don't even know what a real quality tool is and has no appreciation of craftsmanship in every day items. There was a time where men coveted, protected and obsessed over things that today we don't give a second thought to.

This has nothing to do with a $100 drill press. I get that it's not an item that justifies more of an expense for your need, just an observation.

Many, many years ago I bought a drill press for $125. It did the job then and still does . . . HOWEVER it has always had a little run-out. But ever since I used it the 2nd time I have wished I had spent the $$ to get a good press. Now I'm too old to justify the expenditure . . .
Good enough isn't good enough. AAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh!?!?!?}}}}}}}}}!

Sheldon

Here's a older well made floor model drill press that's coming up in an Oregon City estate sale this week.
It's run by an outfit called Cottage 2 Castle Oregon
<broken link removed>

1-t.jpg

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.