JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Notice how smoothly the R-1830 runs compared to the others! I suspect that it had already been warmed up before the start in the video, but still, the -1830 is a very smooth engine. Compare it to the other 14-cylinder, 2-row engine in the video, the R-2600.

It is too bad that they didn't have a R-2800 in the video. Those are sweet. The R-3350 is pretty similar, but not as smooth sounding, despite the Power Recovery Turbines acting as mufflers to smooth out the exhaust pulses. Or perhaps because they smooth out the pulses!

Look closely at the Bristol Hercules cylinder heads. They have no rocker arms, because they use sleeve valves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeve_valve

Graduated in '63 from Aviation HS in NYC with my A&P ticket at 17, joined the AF and was immediately given a 5 level bypass specialest and thrown on the flight line. I ended up on C-124's with 4 R-4360's to care for. 28 cylinders, 2 stage super charger with ADI, a pressures carb that had about 100sq/in of barrel area and as big as most 4 cylinder car blocks. Loved wrenching and doing run ups on them, good times.

Graduated in '63 from Aviation HS in NYC with my A&P ticket at 17, joined the AF and was immediately given a 5 level bypass specialest and thrown on the flight line. I ended up on C-124's with 4 R-4360's to care for. 28 cylinders, 2 stage super charger with ADI, a pressures carb that had about 100sq/in of barrel area and as big as most 4 cylinder car blocks. Loved wrenching and doing run ups on them, good times.
Wasn't that the big engine that was responsible for many deaths due to the rear cylinders not cooling and starting on fire?? Forgot what bomber they were on that it caused so many to go down. They were stuck with them at the time because there was no time to come up with anything else due to the war raging.

Not the race boats with those engines - they went fast!

I spent one summer in the CG at the Tri-Cities with the races there. That was fun. Our job was to keep the people near the shore. Lots of bikini babes on tubes/etc.
Slo-mo-shun was the name of my favorite hydro at the time

Last Edited:
^^Are you thinking of the magnesium in the B29 motors?

Post WWII there weren't many radial engined bombers. B26 and A1 come to mind
Actually, until the B-52 was introduced, the B-29's, B-50's (B-29's with P&W R-4360's) and the B-36 were the strategic bomber fleet. B-47 jets were a stop-gap, but were "medium-range" and the piston-engined bombers were expected to carry the trans-continental loads. All these were outmoded, and were replaced as soon as an acceptable jet was developed, but they soldiered on.

Wasn't that the big engine that was responsible for many deaths due to the rear cylinders not cooling and starting on fire?? Forgot what bomber they were on that it caused so many to go down. They were stuck with them at the time because there was no time to come up with anything else due to the war raging.
Yes.

Here is a good article on that subject:

https://www.historynet.com/superbombers-achilles-heel/

Actually, until the B-52 was introduced, the B-29's, B-50's (B-29's with P&W R-4360's) and the B-36 were the strategic bomber fleet. B-47 jets were a stop-gap, but were "medium-range" and the piston-engined bombers were expected to carry the trans-continental loads. All these were outmoded, and were replaced as soon as an acceptable jet was developed, but they soldiered on.
Forgot about the B-50.

How"s about a radial powered pickup?
1674623650218.jpeg

Last Edited:
I was driving through my home town, returning from buying a Lycoming R-680-9 (300 HP 680 cubic inch 9-cylinder radial aircraft engine from WWII) when a neighbor who was into motorcycles pulled up beside me at a stop sign and said "Wow,! Where did you find the big motorcycle engine?"

Heartened to see so many guys here are into flying machines, and especially old ones.

I have a soft spot for old piston engine aircraft. One of my other hobbies is collecting 1/72 diecasts. Primarily WWII.

p47.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top