JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
companies like LMT and BCM warranty their parts, because they sell parts first, complete guns occasionally. some companies, like BCM, ONLY sell parts- so warrantying a complete gun is actually impossible for those guys. BCM did, in fact, very, very recently start selling complete guns.. but their 10000% excellent warranty and customer service haven't changed.

First off, I would like to show my appreciation to everyone that has responded to my query. Also, thanks to everyone that has written about the AR platform on the Northwest Firearms Community Forum.
I have to tell you, this past month has been very educational. Balistics, twist rates, recoil springs, chrome or not, everything. I never shot with an AR, but I feel like I have. I had a goal, get the best for the money. I am confident I did.
I bid on a few rifles this past week and almost gave up. But then, I recieved an e-mail. :s0166: I won on auction a Daniel Defense DD20000 for $1k even. All in all I went $100 over my budget(including shipping and FFL transfer), but hey, like Dutchy556 said, get what makes me happy and I have enough time to get all the goodies later. I have always done that with my big purchases. I shop and compare and shop some more and compare even more. So thanks to everyone!

So, now you know what I have(well, in a week anyway), what should be my next step? Get 1K rounds and shoot up the range? :gun12: Nah, didnt think so. What would you do?

well being a colt snob i would check this place out first a couple colts under $1000

<broken link removed>

then i would say

<broken link removed>

also +1 for dpms i have owned dpms as well and for what has been critisized as being a budget rifle i have been very pleased

Congrats on a fine purchase!

If I were you I would invest in a quality sling (1 pt, 2 pt - you'll need to figure out what works best for your needs.) I like Gear Sector and Blue Force Gear offerings the most for 2pt and the Magpul MS2 for 1pt, personally.

Next would be half a dozen or so pmags. They are the best mags for the AR platform, period. Shop around to find the best deal. Continue to buy up more whenever you get a good deal.

Next comes ammo and practice. If you don't have a lot of experience running a carbine try and hook up with someone local who does at least at first just to learn the basics. If you don't have a buddy who's into ARs then try and hook up with someone from a forum, just make sure they're squared away. M4 Carbine .net would be a good place to look. The Magpul Dynamics DVDs are also a good learning tool. I'd advise sticking to the basics until getting proper training to avoid training scars as much as possible.

As soon as time and money allow I HIGHLY recommend taking a basic defensive carbine class from a reputable training outfit. I cannot stress enough how important taking a good class is if you ever see yourself going to the AR for use in a defensive role.

After having an opportunity to see what all is out there optics and accessories wise (a class is a great place to try stuff) figure out what best suits the primary use of your rifle and go from there.

A white light is key if the weapon is to be used for defense. Do yourself a favor, go with an LED Surefire. The X300 works great on the DD M4 rails. Or, An E-series or 6p or G2 in an offset mount is an awesome combo (The new Gear Sector offset mounts put all others to shame IMO & the VTAC offset mount is great on a budget).

A quality optic would come next in my mind. An Aimpoint for defense and recreational use out to 300 (Money no object - H1/T1 in DD mount, budget - used Comp M2/M3 in any quality mount), something like an ACOG or an Accupoint for reaching further out would be my choice.

Any quality optic will be expensive. If it doesn't hurt a little bit when you buy your first serious RDS or scope you're not buying nice enough glass. "Buy once, Cry once" is a motto I've learned to embrace. If money is tight just remember that iron sights work just fine and comb the EEs on the forums for a good deal while saving your pennies.

Also, at some point along the line you may want to try either a VFG or AFG or handstop or what have you. I recommend trying before you buy to see what works best. Again, a class is a great place to do this.

I base this advice on having trained on the AR platform extensively and having spent a ton of money trying different kit to see what works best for me. And also observing what works and doesn't work for people at different classes and training sessions. YMMV

Again, congrats on a fine purchase! DD makes a top-tier rifle, it'll serve you well.

Congrats on a fine purchase!

If I were you I would invest in a quality sling (1 pt, 2 pt - you'll need to figure out what works best for your needs.) I like Gear Sector and Blue Force Gear offerings the most for 2pt and the Magpul MS2 for 1pt, personally.

Next would be half a dozen or so pmags. They are the best mags for the AR platform, period. Shop around to find the best deal. Continue to buy up more whenever you get a good deal.

Next comes ammo and practice. If you don't have a lot of experience running a carbine try and hook up with someone local who does at least at first just to learn the basics. If you don't have a buddy who's into ARs then try and hook up with someone from a forum, just make sure they're squared away. M4 Carbine .net would be a good place to look. The Magpul Dynamics DVDs are also a good learning tool. I'd advise sticking to the basics until getting proper training to avoid training scars as much as possible.

As soon as time and money allow I HIGHLY recommend taking a basic defensive carbine class from a reputable training outfit. I cannot stress enough how important taking a good class is if you ever see yourself going to the AR for use in a defensive role.

After having an opportunity to see what all is out there optics and accessories wise (a class is a great place to try stuff) figure out what best suits the primary use of your rifle and go from there.

A white light is key if the weapon is to be used for defense. Do yourself a favor, go with an LED Surefire. The X300 works great on the DD M4 rails. Or, An E-series or 6p or G2 in an offset mount is an awesome combo (The new Gear Sector offset mounts put all others to shame IMO & the VTAC offset mount is great on a budget).

A quality optic would come next in my mind. An Aimpoint for defense and recreational use out to 300 (Money no object - H1/T1 in DD mount, budget - used Comp M2/M3 in any quality mount), something like an ACOG or an Accupoint for reaching further out would be my choice.

Any quality optic will be expensive. If it doesn't hurt a little bit when you buy your first serious RDS or scope you're not buying nice enough glass. "Buy once, Cry once" is a motto I've learned to embrace. If money is tight just remember that iron sights work just fine and comb the EEs on the forums for a good deal while saving your pennies.

Also, at some point along the line you may want to try either a VFG or AFG or handstop or what have you. I recommend trying before you buy to see what works best. Again, a class is a great place to do this.

I base this advice on having trained on the AR platform extensively and having spent a ton of money trying different kit to see what works best for me. And also observing what works and doesn't work for people at different classes and training sessions. YMMV

Again, congrats on a fine purchase! DD makes a top-tier rifle, it'll serve you well.

--------------
Thank you thank you:D
Just went out and bought 2 PMags($24 each) and 100 rounds of cheap ammo(various kinds) and targets. Talked to a guy at on of the gunshops around and he offered basic tactical training for the AR for $25/hr. Not sure what that entails, but $25 is cheap enough just to do some shooting.
I was talking to a buddy of mine and he has a couple AR mags for me(he switched to AK47 for his family) and another buddy has an LED flashlight and mount on the cheap.
Also, I just found my new toy's website... DDM4.COM - Daniel Defense M4 Carbine
Anyone familiar with Brown Bear ammo? I found some online for $250/1000rnds
As for optics, I was gonna go with something from Walmart for under $50 for now and just keep watching the auction sites. Thanks for all the great info.

--------------
Thank you thank you:D
Just went out and bought 2 PMags($24 each) and 100 rounds of cheap ammo(various kinds) and targets. Talked to a guy at on of the gunshops around and he offered basic tactical training for the AR for $25/hr. Not sure what that entails, but $25 is cheap enough just to do some shooting.
I was talking to a buddy of mine and he has a couple AR mags for me(he switched to AK47 for his family) and another buddy has an LED flashlight and mount on the cheap.
Also, I just found my new toy's website... DDM4.COM - Daniel Defense M4 Carbine
Anyone familiar with Brown Bear ammo? I found some online for $250/1000rnds
As for optics, I was gonna go with something from Walmart for under $50 for now and just keep watching the auction sites. Thanks for all the great info.

Shop around for Pmags. Expensive guns shops in my area charge $19.99 for the ones with windows and a few bucks less for the windowless ones. I find them at local gun shows consistently for less than $15.

The only thing about that is, I am in Maryland, so I have to go to PA or DE to get them. Online retailers wont send me 30 round anything. grrrrrrrrrrrr :angry:

oh.. lame. well you're within driving distance of several great tactical shops. almost road trip driving distance, but driving distance all the same. i'll pull some addresses up if you want. what the hades you doing all the way over there?

Hey bkb0000 that would be great. I went to Patriot Arms and X-Ring Supply in Delaware. X-Ring was fairly large with a lot of stuff on the walls that I could touch and hold and look at closely but their prices were rather high compared to Patriot Arms. I liked Patriot Arms, but everything was accross the counter on the wall and, well, because I dont "look" the part stereotypically, the gentleman in there seemed disinterested if that makes sense. I bought 2 pmags(1 w/window, 1 w/o). They were $4 cheaper than X-Ring so I didnt mind so much. Maybe next month when I walk in and say "gimme 10 of them", he might be a little friendlier. ;)
But seriously, I am close to both PA and DE, so if you know some good places, let me know. But wait, arent you all they way over there in Oregon?!?!?
Oh, to answer your question... "what the hades you doing all the way over there?" Thats where my wife and kids are. This is where my wife grew up, but I am always, and I mean ALWAYS, telling her we need to go west.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top