Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Hunter killed by Grizzly

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by drew, Sep 16, 2011.

1. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the guy who shot the bear isn't charged with a crime or fined.

Hunter Killed by Grizzly - Bonners Ferry Herald : Local News: boudary county, grizzly, killed, man, bonners ferry

2. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you...

Looks like not only do they have to worry about the possibility of being charged or fined for shooting a grizzly - the update says it was determined that they were on the Montana side of the line so they may have been hunting in the wrong state...

Trlsmn and (deleted member) like this.
  3. 4Freedom

4Freedom Boise, Idaho Well-Known Member

The crazy thing is, I was just there in the Cabinet mountains, close to where this probably happened. I was just laughing to myself about how hard it would be to see a grizzly there. Considering, I just got back from Glacier NP and saw grizzly bears, I never would have imagined seeing a grizzly bear in North Idaho, much less being consumed by one. This really sucks and I know that any violent grizzly should be put down. I was told that you cannot be charged with a crime if you shoot a grizzly in self-defense. I guess I am very confused about what the laws are when defending yourself against attacking wild animals, especially grizzlies, cougars and wolves. Anyway, I'd rather be a fugitive then be eaten alive by a grizzly. If they are going to be increasing the numbers of dangerous wildlife in these areas, they have to do away with all the protective regulations in any defense situation.

4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

As long as they were legally engaged in a lawful hunting act they should face no charges. There are imminent danger laws that allow for killing even protected animals as long as you are not seeking them out. Now if it is found they went out and crossed the Montana border looking to poach a bear then the shooter might be charged...and should be. Just because you get injured/killed while committing a crime doesn't absolve your crime.

5. B-Towner

B-Towner Western Washington Member

I read this morning - somewhere - that they were legal to hunt in both states.

6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

7. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

8. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Sometimes the best of intentions....

9. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Now they will have to investigate whether the hunter killed his friend on purpose and then killed the bear as a cover story.