JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hopefully, the guy who shot the bear isn't charged with a crime or fined.

<broken link removed>

A hunter was attacked and killed by a grizzly bear Friday morning near the Montana state line, according to Boundary County Sheriff's officials.

The attack was reported shortly after 10 a.m. It occurred in the remote Buckhorn Mountain area about 15 miles northeast of Moyie Springs, the sherif's office said.

Another member of the hunting party shot and killed the attacking grizzly. The man who was attacked was fatally injured, however.

Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you...

Looks like not only do they have to worry about the possibility of being charged or fined for shooting a grizzly - the update says it was determined that they were on the Montana side of the line so they may have been hunting in the wrong state...

The crazy thing is, I was just there in the Cabinet mountains, close to where this probably happened. I was just laughing to myself about how hard it would be to see a grizzly there. Considering, I just got back from Glacier NP and saw grizzly bears, I never would have imagined seeing a grizzly bear in North Idaho, much less being consumed by one. This really sucks and I know that any violent grizzly should be put down. I was told that you cannot be charged with a crime if you shoot a grizzly in self-defense. I guess I am very confused about what the laws are when defending yourself against attacking wild animals, especially grizzlies, cougars and wolves. Anyway, I'd rather be a fugitive then be eaten alive by a grizzly. If they are going to be increasing the numbers of dangerous wildlife in these areas, they have to do away with all the protective regulations in any defense situation.

As long as they were legally engaged in a lawful hunting act they should face no charges. There are imminent danger laws that allow for killing even protected animals as long as you are not seeking them out. Now if it is found they went out and crossed the Montana border looking to poach a bear then the shooter might be charged...and should be. Just because you get injured/killed while committing a crime doesn't absolve your crime.

<broken link removed> ....

A hunter attacked by a wounded grizzly in a Montana forest was killed not by the bear, but by a gunshot fired by a companion trying to save him, authorities said Friday.

Lincoln County Sheriff Roby Bowe said an autopsy determined Steve Stevenson, 39, of Winnemucca, Nev., died of a single gunshot to the chest. The cause of death was determined by a medical examiner with the Montana State Crime Lab.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top