JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just moved to Portland from Houston for work. Talk about a long bubblegum drive in a uhaul. I found the site by some cursory googling. From first glance seems like an open 2A forum for all gun loving Americans. I'm a born Texan so this will be a weather adjustment to say the least. I like all kinds of people and believe every man woman and child should be armed. Registered conservative but more realistically a libertarian, but they never win election. We will have to see how the Mexican food rates up here. I'm very laid back and friendly so ask me anything. The wifey and I hope to get out to shoot this weekend (most likely just end up unpacking and doing house chores!).

Welcome! I moved from Houston myself last year...be prepared for substantial differences in all matters related to firearm ownership Vs TX.
Oh yea, I did my research. It's not ideal in the least, especially Portland. Hopefully after some time renting we will be buying in a more gun friendly county in Oregon.

Don't let people tell you Portland is a terrible place. I enjoyed my few years living there. Amazing food, great breweries, endless weekend events, museums, music scene, short drive to the ocean, etc. The media makes it seem like the entirety of the city is going crazy when it's just a few blocks of downtown that have always been a little sketchy. Watch out for bicyclists, they seem to have a death wish. The only thing I don't miss is the traffic, I wouldn't trade my current five minute commute for much! Well, maybe for a steak dinner at The Acropolis...

Don't let people tell you Portland is a terrible place. I enjoyed my few years living there. Amazing food, great breweries, endless weekend events, museums, music scene, short drive to the ocean, etc. The media makes it seem like the entirety of the city is going crazy when it's just a few blocks of downtown that have always been a little sketchy. Watch out for bicyclists, they seem to have a death wish. The only thing I don't miss is the traffic, I wouldn't trade my current five minute commute for much! Well, maybe for a steak dinner at The Acropolis...
I've been here before and I agree with you! There's a lot to enjoy in the city. We're in a pretty relaxed neighborhood in NE which we like. The food options is a huge plus (as my gut indicates!). The MAX is a huge plus for me. I hated driving for my commute. The homeless issue is everywhere, so doesn't feel all that worse here. Thank you for the welcome!

Welcome!

Yamhill County is a great place to reside in Oregon, 2A friendlier than Multnomah/Washington counties.

As far as Mexican food, check out Dos Mundos in Newberg or Kopitos in Dundee while you are out looking for houses.

Last Edited:
Welcome!

Yamhill County is a great place to reside in Oregon, 2A friendlier than Multnomah/Washington counties.

As far as Mexican good, check out Dos Mundos in Newberg or Kopitos in Dundee while you are out looking for houses.
Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look into that county. I hope to find a decent piece of land for fair price in the long run. Beautiful land y'all got out here.

mmm yes! It was nothing but junk food on the drive here. I need some good beans.

Welcome to NWFA !
Lots of places to shoot on public lands here.
Deer season and then elk season are about to open.
Summer steelhead and Fall Chinook/Coho fishing happening now.

Looking forward to your reports on authentic Mexican food and authentic BBQ !

Howdy and welcome. Seems like most of Portland classifies ketchup as a spice so, good luck finding good Mexican.

King Torta out in North Plains is good and La Fuente in Tigard has about the best chilaquiles I've found so far…great Thai east of the river.

Downtown and the nightlife was fun while my wife and I were there…about 5 years ago. We've moved out to Beaverton since. WaCo seems to be very firearm friendly…or, at least, the sherif is.

Welcome to NWFA !
Lots of places to shoot on public lands here.
Deer season and then elk season are about to open.
Summer steelhead and Fall Chinook/Coho fishing happening now.

Looking forward to your reports on authentic Mexican food and authentic BBQ !
Sounds like a paradise! I gotta say I'm loving all the trees and green!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Howdy and welcome. Seems like most of Portland classifies ketchup as a spice so, good luck finding good Mexican.

King Torta out in North Plains is good and La Fuente in Tigard has about the best chilaquiles I've found so far…great Thai east of the river.

Downtown and the nightlife was fun while my wife and I were there…about 5 years ago. We've moved out to Beaverton since. WaCo seems to be very firearm friendly…or, at least, the sherif is.
Thank you for the suggestions, I will check them out!

I heard Beaverton is a good place to put down roots if one wants the Portland area options without being in Mult. County.

Thank you for warm welcome.

I think that the best place to see the Pacific Ocean for the first time is Cannon Beach.
Then drive south on Hwy 101 to see the most beautiful coastline in the USA.
I've seen pictures only! We are excited to have a weekend to do some exploring and camping. The gulf has its beauty, but there's something about the meeting of sand and trees, plus I just love rock formations which I hear there's lots to see.

Do you think bicyclist are bad where you are? they don't even pay attention to any laws here and then when they get hurt they blame everybody else. I saw some idiot go right through a four-way stop without even looking and some old lady ran into him and he started screaming at the old woman like it was her fault, I got out started screaming back at him because I saw the whole thing and when the cops got there he got in trouble not the old lady. It usually does not turn out that way because the bicyclist cry and moan and "oh my God I have the right away!" but this time the old lady lucked out.

I read the gun laws have gone kinda nuts in WA, which gives me pause.
I think we have a longer "wait period" for purchasing than Oregon.
I would say that concealed permits are easier to get in WA but OR isn't bad, just depends on which county.
I just heard from a friend yesterday that his OR concealed permit from Multnomah County took 3 months to get.
My concealed permit from Clark County took less than 2 weeks and no class required.

I think we have a longer "wait period" than Oregon.
I would say that concealed permits are easier to get in WA but OR isn't bad, just depends on which county.
I just heard from a friend yesterday that his OR concealed permit from Multnomah County took 3 months to get.
My concealed permit from Clark County took less than 2 weeks and no class required.
Good to know, I have to put in my CHL paper work this week. Hoping doesn't take forever.

Do you think bicyclist are bad where you are? they don't even pay attention to any laws here and then when they get hurt they blame everybody else. I saw some idiot go right through a four-way stop without even looking and some old lady ran into him and he started screaming at the old woman like it was her fault, I got out started screaming back at him because I saw the whole thing and when the cops got there he got in trouble not the old lady. It usually does not turn out that way because the bicyclist cry and moan and "oh my God I have the right away!" but this time the old lady lucked out.
I meant in Portland, it's one of the most congested cities in the U.S. Here in Montana I deal with inconvenient traffic and bicyclists for about ten minutes a day during tourist season!

Can we not turn my welcome thread into your personal complaint thread about cyclists, thank you. How about you say hello to me before hijacking it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top