JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Given a 16" barrel (total length including any flash thingy) and a stock that will reach a 12" or better Pull when extended. How short can an AR-15 be? And I am not talking about the legal 26" min for a rifle. I know all about that. I want to know what can be achieved trying to get it to 26"

I'm looking for a Willys Jeep Gun I have room for a rifle with stock collapsed not more then 34" long. I would use a repop M1A1 (paratroop M1 Carbine) but they are just to expensive) So I am checking on other options.

Well, with a 10.5" barrel, a AAC blackout flash hider, and a MFT stock collapsed, I'm at 28" for my SBR.

I think the shortest configuration with a non-NFA upper would be a 14.5 barrel, pinned 1.5" flash hider, and a Troy PDW stock. You'd be right around 28" with that.
Figure 16" of barrel, 8" of upper receiver to the castle nut then whatever the stock adds. At least that's what the tape measure shows when I put it up to my 16" gun.

My 16" gun is 33" with the DD stock collapsed. That's a 16" barrel with a 2" AAC Brakeout. You've got plenty of room to work with and could get pretty much any 14.5"-16" AR in that space.

Your 16" barrel length is the absolute critical path here and that dimension does not include a flashider unless it is permanently affixed. Next is the OAL and that is measured with the butt stock fully extended to the end of the barrel or perm affixed muzzle attachment.

Collapsing to a minimum will be a factor of the length of the buffer tube to the end of the bbl.

You could get the LAW tactical folding stock adapter, and cut your barrel down and permanently attach a muzzle device for a total 16" barrel length. There are also a couple of options that involve using a proprietary bolt carrier that allows for a shorter buffer tube.

If storage is the only issue, the LAW tactical folder seems like the way to go. It's pricey, but I don't think it introduces any non standard components for potential reliability issues.

Find an Olympic Arms OA 98 and convert it in to a rifle with an 18in barrel and a folding stock it'll just be over the 26in mark... Also you don't need to fold the stock out to fire the thing....
Or if you can find one buy a Para-Ordnance TTR...

:cool:

Last Edited:
Or 2 PLR-16s which will nearly fit end to end in your Jeep if you wish. They come in at 18.5" long and weigh 3.4lbs without ammo. Takes any AR-15 mag and shoots 5.56/.223 ammo. Costs @ $600 or so last I checked.

Negatives, short sight radius, more recoil (due to light weight), more muzzle flash (due to short barrel).

IMG_5768-e1383282612572.jpg

Review: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/3/1/kel-tec-plr-16-556223-semi-automatic-pistol/

I can't recall the name of the fitting to have the quick removal of the barrel
That and a LAW folder would make for a small unit
But for a small AR without a stamp, I would definitely do a pistol. 14" barrel to keep the ballistics up and a sig brace would make a nice little truck gun
And if 10mm is accurate at 150 yards I'm sure a 556 pistol will be fine out to 250 maybe more

A *keltec* and nutbag dancy all in one posto_O? :s0140:
I'm going to go throw up
Two things I would never do...buy a keltec or watch that db
But that's just me:cool:
*damm spelcheck*:mad:

OK, I'll bite... Since you are making the claims I'll let you have the burden of proof
What exactly is wrong with the SU-16?
What makes Nutnfancy a dirtbag?

I'm actually interested in the truth here - show me and I'll stand corrected.

Last Edited:
Actually I made no claims at all. I simply stated I wouldn't buy a keltec. I would buy a better gun,one that "I" trust. Never have liked them
My opinion.
And I didn't say dirt bag, that was to be douche bag. I just can't watch his vids. I believe he's a self proclaimed expert. So what if he was a LT something in the Air Force? He could have been at a desk in charge of fuel. How much range time do they get if they ain't a SP?
Many better people to watch on you tube . And I consider most on you tube self proclaimed experts
JMHO

A *keltec* and nutbag dancy all in one posto_O? :s0140:
I'm going to go throw up
Two things I would never do...buy a keltec or watch that db
But that's just me:cool:
*damm spelcheck*:mad:
I dont really have anything particular against nutnfancy, but that man can talk just for the sake of talking... I watched half a dozen of his stuff and something about him just rubs me the wrong way.. you know one of those guys that the more he talks the more you get irritated with the person for no particular reason?? Yah thats what he does for me.

the keltec... its kinda like a high point.. some people love em, some people hate em.. they are cheap and you get what you pay for.

I dont really have anything particular against nutnfancy, but that man can talk just for the sake of talking... I watched half a dozen of his stuff and something about him just rubs me the wrong way.. you know one of those guys that the more he talks the more you get irritated with the person for no particular reason?? Yah thats what he does for me.

the keltec... its kinda like a high point.. some people love em, some people hate em.. they are cheap and you get what you pay for.
So can I just have you respond for me when there is a nutnfancy or keltec post? I mean you said it better:D

I don't mind nutnfancy, but that guy can sure talk... A lot... Some of his stuff could easily be 10 minutes instead of an hour.

As for Kel-Tec... To each their own. Used to consider some of their stuff, but by the looks of it they work more on designing cool things instead of making it so they last. Could be wrong, but I like my fingers enough to not risk it.

That being said, just get an AR with a 14.5" barrel and pinned flash hider if your goal is just to keep it under 34" OAL.

You can save 1-1.5" by replacing the flash suppressor with a knurled thread protector while keeping the 16" barrel. The only impact would be firing from an unsupported prone position and the dust it would kick up.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top