JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A buddy of mine is way into 9mm semi-auto pistols and likes to take them all out whenever we go turn money into noise. Problem is, they all use black metal, double-stack single-feed magazines. And, depending on the magazine manufacturer, some have rubber bumpers on the bottoms and some don't. Last week, he was cussing under his breath, shoving a Sig or CZ mag into his Hi Power (or maybe the other way around) and the catch wouldn't engage. After 3-4 tries, he realized what was going on.

I'd be inclined to mark or engrave them somehow to avoid doing that (if they were just wrenches, I'd simply spray paint all the metrics red, but they're not). I told him I'd ask here. Do you guys and gals use any sort of marking system to keep things straight?

Last Edited:
Learn what the mags look like? I can immediately tell you which of my mags are for Sig, CZ, FN, HK just by a glance. They're all black double stack single feed.

Barring that, I use paint pens to number my mags. You can buy a multi color pack online and have each brand represented by a single colored line, meaning for example: Sig gets green, HK red, CZ blue, FN white or whatever your choices are. My numbered mags have had the same paint pen marks on them for about 4 years now and they're still easily visible

I suggested a gold permanent marker I once had and probably tossed. So he went and got a Silver Metallic Sharpie. Says it works well on the black mags.
Z = CZ
S = Sig
HP = BHP

I don't. I've gotten very good at deciphering what mags are what. I love the misc mag bins at gun shops. Have gotten some crazy good deals from them. I have the problem of figuring out what caliber AR mags are for by the follower as the bodies are the same.

Something that might be worth trying is paint pen. Maybe dots, lines or letters to ID what the mag goes to. Ptouch labels are also a good idea. Could do color coding with a paint pen.

Color code baseplates with tape or paint?
....this. I've got different colored vinyl tape (red, blue, yellow, etc.) for the different mags I use. 300BO and .223 go in the same mags, and I'd hate to grab the wrong one. A band of tape is thin, doesn't hurt a thing,

Paint pens are another great suggestion. Either should be fine.

All the short straight ones go in 1911s
All the bent ones go in AR15s
All the big straight ones go in M1As
All the short thick ones go in M&Ps
All the square-ish ones go in Ruger 22s
All the itty bitty ones go in CZ 22s

Pretty much this, if I am unable to instantly tell the difference both visually AND tactilely something has got go. Different colors and/or writing does do any good at night/low light. I would look at varying base plates.

Same reason I won't have both 9mm and .40S&W, they are too similar.

Same reason I won't have both 9mm and .40S&W, they are too similar.
....take 300BO and .233, for example.....

Colored tape is a reasonable way to go. I still glance at the ammo before it goes in the gun. The tape helps me get it right the first time. .308 Mags are indeed a bit larger than the .223 / 300BO mags, but they all look enough alike that they all get colored tape.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top