JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How do you like revolvers fed via moonclips?

• Yes! Can't get enough of them!

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • For a specific niche, it works.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Well, if I can use both clips or no clips in the wheelgun. If required, no thanks.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Nope, don't like them at all.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • No experience with them, so, whatever.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Don't like revolvers in general.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Oh, do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight!

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
The thread title kind of says it: do you like, dislike, or something else, revolvers fed via moonclips? Why or why not? If affirmative, which wheelguns do you like? If negative, which one(s) soured you on the concept?

Thanks sharing!

My US Army Model 1917 Colt 45 like any other runs moons but I also have some 45 auto rim handy. I have a stash of gov. ball so moons it is until I decide I want to shoot up and reload my rimless.

I've got a couple revolvers that use moon clips and prefer them over semi's. It's a toss up over a standard revolver though. I really don't enjoy chasing my brass or having a clunky brass catcher attached. I tend to be far more accurate with a revolver and shoot them far more than my semi autos. Not really a choice for someone like me but if forced I'd be in the top one.

I like moon clips, have several revolvers that use them, a S&W 586, S&W 625 and a Taurus 905. Makes loading/unloading quick and easy. And in the case of the 905, can carry four reloads easily in weak side front pocket.

If it's for defense or competition uses, I'm down. Not my thing particularly, but I've watched a few videos of Miculek using them in his highly customized 9mm revolver and that just makes a lot of sense.

Example of what I prefer: S&W model 627 or 327. Cylinder milled to take moon clips, or not.

In the don't like versions are the rimless 610 & 625 models.

If it's for defense or competition uses, I'm down. Not my thing particularly, but I've watched a few videos of Miculek using them in his highly customized 9mm revolver and that just makes a lot of sense.
I have one of the Jerry Miculek S&W revolvers and it's my favorite. The BMT Mooner tool is a must. I think I can unload and reload moon clips faster than magazines. Don't have to chase brass either.

Curious as to how yours shoots? I shot mine for the first time today, and I'm sad to say, my 629 outshot it as far as group size...by a LOT. I'm going to buy some dies, and reload some coated .357 bullets, as my bore miked out at .3567, so I'm thinking it may be a little big for a .355 bullet.

Curious as to how yours shoots? I shot mine for the first time today, and I'm sad to say, my 629 outshot it as far as group size...by a LOT. I'm going to buy some dies, and reload some coated .357 bullets, as my bore miked out at .3567, so I'm thinking it may be a little big for a .355 bullet.

Mine shoots lights out, I mainly shoot at steel plates at 25 and 50 yards. They range in size from 3" to 10". Even my kids can usually go 8 for 8 on the 50 yard line. Haven't shot for groups for a while now but I remember being shocked the first time I put it on paper.

I have multiple DA revolvers chambered in 9mm. For range use, I never burden myself with moon clips. It's easier and faster to poke 'em out with a pencil.

For overt or covert carry, my reload is a second pistol, so I still don't use moon clips.

My Smith 45 long colt wouldn't take the moon clips. I thought at the time that would be plain slick thinking powder consumption would drop way down.
It turns out, even if it had, the smith just refused to shoot .451 accurately, preferring .452.

My experience is limited to my Smith models 929 and 625. Have worked fine for me for my typical use of both of these, range use for ringing steel.

As others noted, loading and unloading is quicker than with a conventional revolver for me (I don't use speedloaders). And compared to firing my autoloaders chambered in the same rounds, I appreciate not picking up brass off the ground.

Loading some moons in advance makes a range trip a breeze, and the BMT moon clip tool works great. I have one for both of my moon clip S&Ws. Filling and emptying the moonclips would be less enjoyable without these tools, for sure.

Last Edited:
My experience is limited to my Smith models 929 and 625. Have worked fine for me for my typical use of both of these, range use for ringing steel.

As others noted, loading and unloading is quicker than with a conventional revolver for me (I don't use speedloaders). And compared to firing my autoloaders chambered in. The same rounds, I appreciate not picking up brass off the ground.

Loading some moons in advance makes a range trip a breeze, and the BMT moon clip tool works great. I have one for both of my moon clip S&Ws. Filling and emptying the moonclips would be less enjoyable without these tools, for sure.

It's always a race between my kids and I as to who gets to demoom and reload the moon clips. They think it's as fun to do that as well as shoot.

I like my 325 and its moon clips.

Normally I think they are better/faster than speed loaders.

However, I had one instance where trying to load the revolver with a clip didn't work so well - for some reason it jammed up and wouldn't load. I need more experience practice, but that was worrying. I also had problems with ejecting some Corbon +P loads - they were sticky, which is not surprising.

That said, I seem to enjoy shooting my revolvers more than my semis - or maybe it is just the chance of pace and manual of arms.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top