JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently found myself needing a second CA legal CCW gun. [ Yea I know CA problems]
I settled on a Shield in 9mm. But could not find any in stock at an LGS. Sportsmans was advertising one but when I went there it was take a number and wait a couple hours to even find out if they had one in stock!
So I went home and ordered online through Davidsons. The choice was use one of their Preferred FFLs and they would give a firm Out The Door price. or they would ship to my LGS. I took the Preferred FFL that was closest to my home [ in a City about 45 min away.]
The FFL had 5 stars, a business address, had been around for awhile, and had an active FFL.
So I pushed the buy it now button!
When The FFL got my gun in He called and we set up a appointment to do the paperwork, He gave me his business address, and a phone number.
On the meet day I drove to the address an Auction company in the very worst part of down town. There were Drunks , Homeless and Bums sleeping on the sidewalk, and no where to park but on the street. Had I not already paid, I would have driven away at that point.
The Auction company had been closed since Covid and had become a dump for junk that had not sold in remote auctions. The office was in the corner of a wherehouse full to the ceiling with more junk.
When I met the FFL he started talking and at some point asked what I did? I told him I was retired from the County Jail.
Boy was that a mistake! He went on and on about his time in jail, what housing units he had been in, and even that he had joined a gang [ for protection].
He went on about how the Sheriff would not sign off on his license renewal [ probably the gang thing] and he had to move his business into a city lot [ the junk yard].
I think if it were my business I would have kept that to myself! With all his yapping about his time in jail it took over an hour to fill out the 4473 and a couple CA forms. And then his computer kept timing out and he would have to start over. I finally escaped and found my truck still in one piece.
After the CA 10 day wait that ended on Christmas eve, I finally got ahold of him the Mon after Christmas, and set an appointment to pick up the gun the next wed.
On that Wed, He did not show up, But the Homeless, drunks and bums were still there!
I had some other business in town and just as I was getting ready to leave for home when the FFL calls me back. He had taken a nap and over slept. Back down town I went. I signed a few pages and escaped with my new gun.
So how do you check out an FFL without driving down to meet in person? He had a good online score, had been in business awhile, and had a valid license.
Anyone else had this happen? DR

Like anything else, I would "shop where I trust." May be from personal experience, recommendation from a trusted person that I then check out, or just "stopping by." See how they greet and treat me as well as other customers. Buy a few things from time to time to see how it goes. If good, then ship it there. I would not rely on a Davidson's recommendation. Personally, there are many great stores that probably have it below Davidson's without all the hassle.

Shop local with the little guy wherever possible. When you can't Google map the business address, normally that doesn't give you a ton but in the case it could have helped.

I normally buy local but none of the LGS's would accept an internet transfer. And none had an acceptable gun in stock at a price I would pay.
I will remember the Google earth tip. Thanks DR

I guess I am fortunate in that there are a few great local gun stores in my area. They have a good selection and if they don't have what I am looking for in stock, they can order it for me. I avoid internet purchases unless it is a last resort.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top