JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
HD now requires veterans to have an app on their phones with a QR code that identifies them and tracks the amount of discount they have received in the calendar year. The maximum discount per year is now $400. I believe the app is only available for iPhones. I just spent about a half-hour wading through all the BS on the HD website to find that since I already had an online account the QR code can be found on the HD website under Store Mode. I haven't tried it yet as it appears it only comes up if I am in the store. HD is pissy about their discount and it mysteriously does not apply to some items that may be on sale.

If you purchase online for in store pick-up they apply the discount automatically as long as your account shows you are a veteran. Then just your picture ID when you pick it up. The $400 limit is a bummer.

I prefer to get stuff at HD as it's closer but Lowe's offers a 10% veterans discount on full-price items [presumably not sale items] and there is no annual limit.

I'll probably still keep getting stuff at HD as the mere thought of having to figure out where to shop for some everyday home maintenance item gives me a headache. Big ticket items are a different story of course.

On the other hand, my wife shops sales relentlessly, uses coupons if available, always asks about senior discounts, etc. I'm convinced she thinks food tastes better if it was purchased on sale. However, I have learned not to 'humor her' with comments about how much I appreciated her saving ways as it allowed me to purchase more tools, guns and ammo. :rolleyes:

I have to use a qr code at my gym. Instead of firing up the app every time I screenshotted it and uninstalled the app.
I was tempted to do the same with this Home Depot thing but noticed a blurb in tiny print saying they will "update" your QR code from time to time (I'm guessing so everyone doesn't end up with a copied .jpg of somebody else's code on their phone).

A few more things occur to me:

- I agree it'll be handy to get the discount with online purchases. That was not available before.

- After working for decades to serve those who serve(d), I can assure you that MANY Veterans do not have "smart" phones or the tech savvy to create an online account, then download the phone app and verify their status. Sadly, a great number of those folks could benefit from the discount as much (if not more) than those who can flash an electronic QR code on demand. For that reason alone, I'd appreciate seeing Home Depot continue to accept physical ID cards for those individuals at checkout. Just seems like the right thing to do.

- And I hope we don't see a typical news piece soon announcing that Home Depot's database has been compromised (or the entity with which they interact to verify qualifying service). As with anything electronic today (military or not), "you rolls the dice and you takes your chances."

Last Edited:
I prefer to get stuff at HD as it's closer but Lowe's offers a 10% veterans discount on full-price items [presumably not sale items] and there is no annual limit.

I'll probably still keep getting stuff at HD as the mere thought of having to figure out where to shop for some everyday home maintenance item gives me a headache. Big ticket items are a different story of course.

On the other hand, my wife shops sales relentlessly, uses coupons if available, always asks about senior discounts, etc. I'm convinced she thinks food tastes better if it was purchased on sale. However, I have learned not to 'humor her' with comments about how much I appreciated her saving ways as it allowed me to purchase more tools, guns and ammo. :rolleyes:
Lowe's has required a physical ID card AND a phone number for a few years now. One of my sons flashed his active duty card at Lowe's yesterday. They drew a blank on his phone number, so he completed some sort of enrollment process at checkout to save 10% ($20+) on his purchase. Said he was glad no one was waiting behind him while they jumped through the hoops to set it up.

Last Edited:
Must be a recent change. Bought stuff in Beaverton HD and used my ODL with Veteran on it just last month.
A couple of years ago the HD here in Corvallis would no longer accept my VA ID because it didn't specify that my disability was service-related. I had to get a new ID. I'll go to Lowes if I have to but it's a few miles farther than HD.

It really depends on who's at the checkout stand. Same store, same location, different employee, sometimes I get it and sometimes they tell me I need a HD account to gain access to the discounts. Lowes doesn't have that problem but it's further away.........

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top