JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've just taken in an HK USP (DAO) in trade. It seems it was converted, by HK, from a DA/SA variant. What would anybody do that? Question for another forum, I suppose. I've got the old parts and I'd like to revert it. Do any of you "Wise-Guys" know how difficult a job this is? Can you recommend any references? Or perhaps your best advice would be, send it back to HK.
Thanks,
John, CISSP, PMP, FFL, CCW, AoWD

I asked around about converting USP-derived P2000 from SA/DA to LEM and everyone l talked to (all end-users, not gunsmiths) said it isn't too difficult but requires patience.
I haven't done the conversion yet, but l think I'll try it with a range-gun first, like my P30L, to see if l dig it before moving to the other HKs in the safe.
Why?
Some people and PDs prefer the DAO trigger as a measure of safety against liability-heavy gun manipulation like decocking or carrying Condition 1.
It also narrows the gun quite a bit by removing the ambi-safety levers (Especially noticable on P30s, less so on USPs).
Some just like consistency of the trigger.... that's the whole reason the LEM was invented.

I personally hate safeties that also decock the gun. The best thing about a decocker gun is that you don't need a safety. I don't have to remember to thumb the safety off in order to make the gun ready. Also, a single action trigger of similar quality is generally smoother and, as mentioned above, more consistent. So to me, it's pick one: SA and safety or DA/SA and decocker. For that matter DA/SA with safety is not bad either; If you get a failure to fire you can try to fire that round again without having to manipulate the gun.

TLDR: If you need a safety and a decocker on the same gun, you probably shouldn't carry.

:D
:s0087:

Detent plates are easy to swap out. First time around I think the plate was $10 and it took about 30 seconds to swap out. Search changing detent plates and several videos will pop up.

Lots of good resources and detailed directions if you go on the hk pro forum. I have changed mine both directions- from DA/SA to LEM, and the reverse. The cool thing about the USP is that it is very modular this way. Yes it is a bit complicated, and your first time will be a learning experience and sometimes frustrating, but take your time and follow the directions on that forum as well as the various videos on YouTube, and should end up fine. Then once you have done it once it should be easier if you ever want to change it out or do another one ...

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top