JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
-A great mid-sized gun with full size capabilities that's light weight, hi-capacity, and small, medium, and large all in one package- if that makes any sense....

I just picked up this HK P2000 the other day. I have plenty of full size 45's, a few Hi-Powers, and 1 compact Kahr PM9. What I felt I realy needed these days was a pistol I could pack all day in an office but still had full sized capabilities when neeed. After a lot of thought, I chose this pistol.

At first look it's polymer, weighing in at just over 21 oz w/unloaded magazine. Close to a pound lighter than the BHP I have been carrying. It's 1.3" wide, .02" larger than a 1911 so it's still relatively thin. The pistol holds 13+1 of 9mm so the grip is nearly long enough for a full grip providing stability. Size wise, it wasn't too big and it wasn't too small.

The pistol comes standard with HK's version of a tough and durable weather resistant finish called "Hostile Environment." It looks blue and HK's manual speaks of how the metal itself is treated to creat the protection expected. I find the finish attractive.

The firing mechanism if very unique but operation is fairly basic. Called the "LEM" for Law Enforcement Mode; It's a "light double" action only trigger at about 6.5 pounds. The engineering that went into it sounds complicated and although my description is not entirely correct; it's as if a "pulley" type system takes away the full weight of what you'd expect from a DA pull. If you hold the trigger after a shot, the hammer stays cocked back and is slowly lowered as the trigger is moved forward, but not all the way if you decide to go just to re-set before cranking off another round. If you choose to go all the way forward with the trigger vs. just to re-set, the trigger doesn't seem any different to me. Again, looks a little different, sounds a little different, but all the same when your fireing.

I can't remember if my "assistant" is pulling back, or just "clicked" at the re-set.

The pistol comes with a variety of back-straps and I believe HK was one of, if not the first to offer such a feature. Small, medium, large, and X-large- something for everyone. The two larger sizes are a hard rubber where the small and medium are polymerish. Replacing requires a punch and takes seconds.

IMG_3074.jpg

This pistol came with 3 mags and I believe it's gun store prerogative and pricing that depends on how many you get. They aren't cheap and the best price I've found on-line was $40. At the same time they are high quality and I still have the original USP mags for another pistol from 12 years ago. Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but it looks like some stout metal to me.

IMG_3094.jpg

I hear from many not fond of HK's - point to the "paddle" style downward actuated magazine release as their reason. For me, it's in the right spot and I encourage anyone to give an earnest try before dismissing it too soon. IMO-had this been the "first" design, any other way would seem foreign.

Performance: I was at the range yesterday. The good news is I got to shoot about 500 rounds of .223 and a couple hundred rounds through my M&P45, but didn't get enough time to shoot the p2000 but for a 50 round course with varrying stages of standing, kneeling, etc. from as far out as 25 yards, and as close as 5. I found it very accurate, there were no malfuctions, the trigger was smooth, and the manipulation in general was natural.

I would recommend, to those like me who were searching for the right concealed carry piece for them, to give this pistol a look next time at the gun store..

And finally, there's a very interesting performance test of the "LEM" trigger and HK's in general at www.pistol-training.com if anyone is interested. A P30 went 91K rounds and a HK45 is up to 11K so far.

I just got a LEM P30 recently....at first I was iffy on the paddle mag release but now I really like it.

My trigger was the heavy pull variant (like 8lb) but after a couple easy spring swaps (which you can buy from HK) it's now at around 5.5lb

If you were one of the ones who searched and searched to find a fullsize SA/DA .357 Sig variant (V1), you can probably attest to how great this platform handles the powerful round.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top