JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lot's of people around here and around the world are dealing with high BP. Many of them are given medicine to lower the blood pressure. Assuming the high BP is due to clogging of the pipes, does lowering BP with meds cause a reduction in blood flow volume moving through the pipes?

Here is my reasoning. Assume you need a given amount of fluid to move through a pipe in a given amount of time. If the pipe is obstructed with build-up, the inside diameter will be reduced. That would require a pump, feeding the pipe, to increase pressure to move the same amount of fluid through the pipe in the same amount of time.

My belief is, the body needs a certain volume of blood to move through it's pipes. If those pipes become restricted, the heart works harder to increase pressure to maintain the needed volume. If our pipes are clogged and we reduce the pressure the heart puts out with meds, wouldn't that reduce volume moving through our pipes?

Last Edited:
I take two blood pressure reducing meds, but there's more than one way to reduce blood pressure. One of my meds, amlodipine, actually opens blood vessels

132210902372903182how%20does%20amlodipine%20work.jpg Amlodipine lowers blood pressure by blocking calcium from entering muscles in blood vessel walls. This relaxes and widens the vessels. It makes it easier for the heart to pump blood through the body. This is why amlodipine is called a calcium channel blocker.

Years ago my doctor gave credit for longer life to blood pressure meds

It would be too long explanation but you have your concepts wrong on this.

Pressure is pressure. Just like fuel pressure, oil pressure, air pressure and water pressure.

And just like water pressure in your water pipes in your house if you run too high of pressure stuff that is hooked to the water pipes like the water heater start breaking. Its why you have a water pressure regulator hooked up to the main water line running to your house.

You have pressure sensors in your neck and in your kidneys and (in a very simplified explanation) the heart does not detect or adjust to pressure.

Blood pressure meds can work in the kidneys, the heart, the brain, the blood vessels and several other ways. They are used alone and in combination and there is probably a few million different total combinations of medications that can he used for blood pressure in conjunction with simultaneously treating other problems.

What to trust is there are hundreds of thousands of studies on blood pressure and medications using millions and millions of patients and we have the management of blood pressure fine tuned so well now that we can do an amazing job slowing down the effects of high blood pressure despite all the bad things people do to themselves (smoking, bacon, gaining 500 lbs, aging etc)

My blood pressure was under control (120/80), with no bad side effects for twenty-plus years. This was, if I remember correctly Lysnopryl). Then my provider (K_____) decided to change me to a different prescription (Lostartan), dropping the secondary (I believe a diuretic) pill completely. My blood pressure went to 180/110, and they messed around increasing the dose, with no effect for about six months. Then they added Amlodipine, increasing from 2.5 mg up to 7.5mg. This got my BP back to 120/80, but I started to accumulate water in my lower legs. They cut me back to 2.5 mg of Amlodipine, but my BP went back up to 180/100. Now they are putting me back on 7.5mg of Amlodipine, and after a month, I haven't swelled up again, but it took about a year for that to happen the first time. The doctor told me that the swelling is a side effect of the Amlodipine. Meanwhile, despite making me take massive amounts of Potassium, I'm still below minimum, so something is making me excrete it, and they show no interest in finding out why.

It makes me wonder why they changed my prescriptions in the first place. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last Edited:
Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what works best. I've been taking BP meds for about 25 years. I think I went through three before one was found that worked best. Two, actually. I take 5 mg Amlodipine in the AM, and 25 mg of Atenolol in the evening. I also have bradycardia (irregular heartbeat) and the Atenolol helps with that as well. I've got a slow pulse, around 48-50 at rest, like a reptile, but without ill effects. Because of Atenolol, my heart rate never gets much higher than 60ish. Dr. said, "When you start passing out and / or get real winded, come back and we'll talk about a Pacemaker." Hasn't been needed yet. Since then, I've been wondering, "What happens if my first blackout happens while I'm driving?"

Re. arakboss's comments in the original post. That narrowing effect might be more of thing with atherosclerosis, the condition whereby arteries get lined with plaque from accrual of cholesterol deposits.

You need to focus on crackhead inspired gun modifications and cockamamie challenges instead of becoming a part time amateur doctor

My doctor had me try the common ACE inhibitors for HBP which caused me to cough all the time, so I switched to time release Verapamil every night. It works a little, but not as much as we would like.

I will check with him to see if Amlodipine is any better than Verapamil.

What really works for HBP is Snakeroot Rauwolfia serpentina. However, it gave me congestion so bad that I could not sleep.

You need to focus on crackhead inspired gun modifications and cockamamie challenges instead of becoming a part time amateur doctor
I agree, just because alot of cool rich people keep their BP managed, doesn't mean I should follow them. That would be keeping up with the Joneses type behavior. Back to my projects I go.

It would be too long explanation but you have your concepts wrong on this.

Pressure is pressure. Just like fuel pressure, oil pressure, air pressure and water pressure.

And just like water pressure in your water pipes in your house if you run too high of pressure stuff that is hooked to the water pipes like the water heater start breaking. Its why you have a water pressure regulator hooked up to the main water line running to your house.

You have pressure sensors in your neck and in your kidneys and (in a very simplified explanation) the heart does not detect or adjust to pressure.

Blood pressure meds can work in the kidneys, the heart, the brain, the blood vessels and several other ways. They are used alone and in combination and there is probably a few million different total combinations of medications that can he used for blood pressure in conjunction with simultaneously treating other problems.

What to trust is there are hundreds of thousands of studies on blood pressure and medications using millions and millions of patients and we have the management of blood pressure fine tuned so well now that we can do an amazing job slowing down the effects of high blood pressure despite all the bad things people do to themselves (smoking, bacon, gaining 500 lbs, aging etc)
You're the best, bolus.
I heard of a large analysis that claimed that when all was said and done, statins and whatall "miracle" drugs extended the lives of those taking them like 2 days, all told.. and to the tune of a trillion of dollars per annum? Anyway, it was nuts.

You're the best, bolus.
I heard of a large analysis that claimed that when all was said and done, statins and whatall "miracle" drugs extended the lives of those taking them like 2 days, all told.. and to the tune of a trillion of dollars per annum? Anyway, it was nuts.
There is lot to consider, especially with prevention drugs like statins. there is extending lifespan but there is also reducing morbidity. If you have 12 heart attacks and survive them all, there is a good chance quality of life is poor. Heart failure is not fun to live with even though we can keep people alive with it. Prevention of heart attacks even if you dont die from them is still worthwhile. (not to mention all the medical bankruptcy by being in the hospital)

Primary prevention with statins is like 20% (preventive first heart attack). Secondary prevention is like 50% (preventing second heart attack). But if someone is 20 years old and extremely low risk of heart attack starting a statin and reducing risk of zero by 20 % is still zero.

I'm still in favor of statins. They need to be directed toward the highest risk patients. For someone reason the internet has decided they are poison and I dont quite know the source of the hate. There are plenty of more toxic meds. We have medications where the side effects include CANCER. Why isnt the internet hating those?

I have prescribed thousands of statins and rarely see problems with them.

There is lot to consider, especially with prevention drugs like statins. there is extending lifespan but there is also reducing morbidity. If you have 12 heart attacks and survive them all, there is a good chance quality of life is poor. Heart failure is not fun to live with even though we can keep people alive with it. Prevention of heart attacks even if you dont die from them is still worthwhile. (not to mention all the medical bankruptcy by being in the hospital)

Primary prevention with statins is like 20% (preventive first heart attack). Secondary prevention is like 50% (preventing second heart attack). But if someone is 20 years old and extremely low risk of heart attack starting a statin and reducing risk of zero by 20 % is still zero.

I'm still in favor of statins. They need to be directed toward the highest risk patients. For someone reason the internet has decided they are poison and I dont quite know the source of the hate. There are plenty of more toxic meds. We have medications where the side effects include CANCER. Why isnt the internet hating those?

I have prescribed thousands of statins and rarely see problems with them.
I'll second Certaindeaf's comment. You're the best bolus.

I've been in Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide since around 2007. High BP well controlled. Wasn't raging high though. My mother had RAGING high BP without drugs. It was mentioned that it could have been mom's fault. :) Is High BP known to be hereditary?

Last Edited:
I also have bradycardia (irregular heartbeat) and the Atenolol helps with that as well. I've got a slow pulse, around 48-50 at rest, like a reptile, but without ill effects.
This is me as well. My doctor couldn't care less about my irregular heartbeat. When I expressed some concern over the fact my blood pressure monitor nearly always shows an irregular heartbeat, his response was - "Those things are a dime a dozen." I don't take anything for that. As for the slow pulse, I was in the hospital one time and the nurse asked me if I was a professional athlete due to the 50 pulse. My ever-helpful wife responded - "Yeah. He's a champion channel surfer." Since my pulse has ever been thus, none of the primary care physicians I've had over the past 40 years has shown much interest.

I just started taking Olmesartan for high blood pressure last year. They started me on a 20 mg tablet daily. I got dizzy every time I stood up. Then they moved me to 1/2 tablet, and I only got dizzy about every 3rd time I stood up. Now I take 1/3 of a tablet and only occasionally get dizzy. My bp is usually in the 130/80 range. I have noticed when I'm getting a lot of exercise (like during archery elk season) my bp gets pretty low. It was bad enough in September, I discontinued taking my medication until after elk season was over.

In November of 2020 I had been getting short winded. Finally I couldn't walk 20 feet without stopping. Took myself to the ER and discovered I had pneumonia & bronchitis. Got it under control but detected an irregularity in my heat and referred me to a cardiologist. In March, during an appointment at his office, I had a heart attack. That was Thursday, Sunday I had a triple bypass. They're still adjusting my meds. I have a sensor install that transmits heart rhythm and a BP monitor that texts my BP data twice a day. My BP goes down with work, 72 this January. PAX

I'll second Certaindeaf's comment. You're the best bolus.

I've been in Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide since around 2007. High BP well controlled. Wasn't raging high though. My mother had RAGING high BP without drugs. It was mentioned that it could have been my fault. :) Is High BP known to be hereditary?
My mother had high blood pressure. I assume I inherited mine from her.

As I complained above, my blood pressure was controlled with Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide until my provider decided to change to something else. They never gave me a reason. I assume cost was a factor. It has taken well over a year to get the new treatment (Lostartan and Amlopine) to work right.

My blood pressure is finally back to normal (120/80) but my Potassium is still a little low. They are talking about having me take a fourth tablet each day. My observation is that no matter how much they make me take, my blood only contains the same amount. They keep doing the same thing over and over to change this, but have the same result. Doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different outcome - where have I heard this description?

My mother had high blood pressure. I assume I inherited mine from her.

As I complained above, my blood pressure was controlled with Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide until my provider decided to change to something else. They never gave me a reason. I assume cost was a factor. It has taken well over a year to get the new treatment (Lostartan and Amlopine) to work right.

My blood pressure is finally back to normal (120/80) but my Potassium is still a little low. They are talking about having me take a fourth tablet each day. My observation is that no matter how much they make me take, my blood only contains the same amount. They keep doing the same thing over and over to change this, but have the same result. Doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different outcome - where have I heard this description?
Luckily the once a year blood draw/test comes back within spec. Knock on wood. Due back in June.

This is me as well. My doctor couldn't care less about my irregular heartbeat. When I expressed some concern over the fact my blood pressure monitor nearly always shows an irregular heartbeat, his response was - "Those things are a dime a dozen."
Most of the time, it isn't a problem for me. The bradycardia is noticeable when I'm sitting in the recliner or laying down in bed before sleep. I've had a few more serious episodes where the irregularity was, well, not regular in my experience. It was VERY irregular. So I had to see a cardiologist, do a few treadmill tests, etc. Also, my heart rate has temporarily dipped into the 30's a few times, and then I experienced being winded but not dizzy. The cardio guy says, "Call us if it gets persists or gets worse." So far, these episodes have been relatively brief.

My mother was treated for tachycardia for the last 20 years of her life, so my irregular heart rhythm is likely an inherited thing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top