JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i'm just wondering if anyone else out there is familiar with KRD mags. i picked up a brown. hi-power (fm argentine). according to the int. sources, it is the best out there-anyway -with it come 2 org. mags,and 3 KRD mags. 1st i used the org. mags-worked flawless-then opened up the new KRD mags-when loading, the springs were very awkward - only loaded 10 rnds in 13 rnd mags-almost had to use a hammer to put the mag in-fired twice,and the shells would not come up-pried the mag out,and all the shells just fell out -no spring tension at all-to me these things are a joke-like WTF-we can't even produce a mag that works right-this is almost 2010-any help out there?

thanks,
steven

I have no direct experience with KRD mags, but for Hi-Power, Mec-Gar is the way to go. They are the contract mfg. for FN, and sell after-market mags under their own name. I have also had good luck with the Argentine 13-rd mags that come with the FM Hi-Powers, but some folks have reported that the feed lips crack after several thousand rounds. I have heard bad things about the Argentine 17-rd mags, but I've never owned one so can't say for sure.

There is a difference between the Browning branded mags and the MecGar branded mags. Although both are made by MecGar, the Browning brand mags have a little mouse trap spring on their bases that basically insures they drop free. Unless something has changed, it is a patented feature the MecGar brand mags lack. I have found the MecGar mags do not reliably drop free. -I have heard that removing the magazine safety addresses this but I haven't tried it.

KRD's are Argentine made (some sources also say South African, but I think KRD's are made in Argentina and also a lot were sold to South Africa, and then made their way here as surplus). I think they are a couple of notches above generic or RamLine, and maybe a notch below factory. I have about ten and never had any problems, though the springs are very hard. I leave a new magazine loaded for a couple of weeks to help them take a set. I have fired maybe three thousand rounds through five or six of the mags.

I am guessing your mag jammed because the follower tipped over. Probably there is a lot of spring tension, but it cannot move because the follower is stuck.

There is a difference between MecGar contract factory mags and MecGar branded mags. The MecGar brand is often slightly thinner metal and the edges are more squared. Also, the "extra" capacity mags (ie, a 15 round sized mag that holds 17 rounds) gets the extra capacity from having a dinky little plastic follower that has a tendency to tip, and they seem to rattle a bit more when loaded.

I have five of the KRD-marked 17-rd mags, three in use and two in Obama Reserve mode. They're the only mags I've ever actually used in my Hi-Power, and they work great. I have read a number of negative reports on them (here, for instance), but can comment only on my own experiences.