JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Stumbled on a BHP at lunch today. It's a new style but very tight, nice trigger (a bit heavy) Not that it matters but it has the '75 Year Anniversary of the Hi-Power' engraved on the top with a little spot of the finish worn off. Original box & two mags for $689.00 (asking anyway - pawn shop I am known in) so maybe I could get it for a slightly better deal. Opinions please.

Like this, made in Argentina?

Frankly, I think they're OK but lack the high quality finish of the Belgian made pistol. In fact I think thaat rather than spend that money for one of those I'd look to buy one of the Belgians.

I've got one and modified it with trigger work, ambi safety (I'm southpawed) and grips from C&S to be one of my favorite pistols amongst more than 20 1911, a bunch of S&W revolvers, and a lot of other pistols of high finish and quality. I don't think one of those would fit well for me. It seems cheap and a BHP shouldn't be like that IMO. 2rrtbeu.jpg

It seems cheap and a BHP shouldn't be like that
Yep - I agree. I stopped by to look at it one more time and that confirmed it. Also it has an alloy frame which I didn't realize the first time I looked at it but realized it seemed kind of light when I looked at it again. I'll wait for a good Belgium made one to come along.

I would take a third look at the 75th anniversary. Does it have fixed sights or adjustable? Wood grips? It should have a Made in Belgium Assembled in Portugal roll mark on the slide. The Browning Hi-Power is made by FN (Fabrique Nationale) of Belgium. They have been assembled in Portugal since the early 1970's from an article I read.
May our lives glorify God. Jesus is the reason for the season,
Michael

Fixed sights and cheesy plastic grips and the alloy frame ended it for me. I'll wait until a 'real' Belgium made one comes along - OR a Charles Daly - like the one I passed on at a gun show in LaPine a couple years ago - that was one of my biggest gun 'mistakes' of all time......

Just a note that FN/browning has not put out a Hi power with an alloy from since the 80's.
the 75th Anniversary model is all steel. I have owned a couple of the alloys and they are fantastic guns.
I would not hesitate to own another if I came a cross one but they are a bit on the uncommon side.

A 75th anniversay model for under $700 is a respectable deal.

Andy

Man I want to believe you but when looking at it there were a couple small nicks in the mag well and the exposed metal looked like alloy. And when tapping on it with my fingernail it had that dull, alloy 'thud'. Now you have me wondering - One more look-see at it - with a magnet to confirm!

Also the only alloy Hi powers ever made we roll marked FN all the roll marked Browning were steel.
I guess it is possible its a franklin gun with an old FN frame and a newer browning slide... I have seen stranger things.