JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After inspecting them from the standpoint of a gunsmith, they just aren't well produced. Their quality control is poor, their material selection is poor, and their design is poor. Like I said, if they work for you, more power to you. But I analyze things way too much to rely on a pot metal gun with a plastic frame. Just me though. The price is less important. I have no problem with Ruger auto-loaders, they're inexpensive. I have few problems with Kel-Tec, they're less expensive still.

i'v never owned a hi point handgun-but i have owned the 4095 and the 995-the 995 i still have-the 4095 gave me all the performance i wanted up to 100 yds,and then some if i manipulated it a little-out of about 500 rnds of whatever ammo i used, it jambed maybe 1 in 50-the only reason i sold it was to move myself up to the .44 rug. deerslayer-which i'v had on my wish list for five years.now for the 995-it has been awesome-maybe 1 jamb in a 100-buuuuuut-my biggest game has been pumpkins or milk jugs at 75 yds-its accurate enough to hit clays at 60, just as fast as you can pull the trigger-now if your planning on doing some kind of game hunting with this 995-i suggest you learn how to walk on rice paper-so you can sneek up, and smack it in the head-don't get me wrong,because i would'nt want to be standing in front of the 995, at 75 yds or less-with a pi$$ed off women,but in my opinion-its just a super fun gun to go plinken with-as far as hi-point themselves is concernd-you can be the 10th owner and send it in , and it will be repaired for free-just my thoughts-
steven

I would never argue that Hi-Point doesn't have one of the best warranties in the industry. But don't you want a gun that's built well enough to never need the warranty?

I would never argue that Hi-Point doesn't have one of the best warranties in the industry. But don't you want a gun that's built well enough to never need the warranty?

Is there such as a thing? I'm always reading something about someone who had trouble with x brand of firearm and never will buy one again.

I have a Hi Point C9 that has worked great from day one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Hi Point firearm.

When I initiated this thread, I was mostly thinking of the Hi Point carbines as a stop-gap measure for someone who couldn't afford to buy something better. I doubt I would ever own one of their pistols. They look like power tools, seem heavy and not to point right for me, and overall just don't do it for me.
But the carbines are something else. I'm planning to order one of the new stocks to replace the ATI stock I have (Hi Point tells me the ATI stock can actually damage the carbine) and I think it works well for me in the role I have it for: Cheap plinker and something to hand to a friend if things ever got ugly in terms of societal collapse.
But if I could afford a KelTec or find a Ruger or Marlin carbine for the right price I'd definitely opt for something made with better materials (I don't like the pot metal the Hi Points are made of, even if they work well). However, for survival purposes for someone who literally has no firearms and needs something on hand, I think a Hi Point 995 or 4095 might just fit the bill. :)

I understand the concept of a stop-gap measure. I just believe in saving money and starting with something better.

As for the no warranty needed, no there will always be gaps in quality control. But two things with Hi-Point. First, there seem to be a lot more people needing Hi-Point's warranty for non-kaboom issues. Feeding, fit, finish, and the like. Second, the fit and finish that Hi-Point allows through its quality control should be unacceptable. It takes an extra five minutes to deburr the metal parts and trim the rough mold lines on the plastic stock.

i do believe your on the right track-if you want to check out the guns from other owners, and their views-go to the (hi-point forum)-there's a lot of bubba stuff going on there, but these guys use these guns like they are colt ar's or sniper goods-bear has his points also,but i think your going to keep looking till someone co-signs your thoughts -good luck in your choice-
steven

When I initiated this thread, I was mostly thinking of the Hi Point carbines as a stop-gap measure for someone who couldn't afford to buy something better......for survival purposes for someone who literally has no firearms and needs something on hand, I think a Hi Point 995 or 4095 might just fit the bill. :)

For the purposes described, IMHO a Ruger 10/22 would be the better choice. Its quieter, its lighter,less recoil, the ammo is cheaper, you can pick up 25 rd mags at any Bi-Mart for $12 on sale, and with a cheap scope on it you can make 100 yard head shots with ease. At 50 yards you can select which nostril or eyeball to hit. And in terms of quality and long term durability it beats the Hipoint hands down.

I understand the concept of a stop-gap measure. I just believe in saving money and starting with something better.

As for the no warranty needed, no there will always be gaps in quality control. But two things with Hi-Point. First, there seem to be a lot more people needing Hi-Point's warranty for non-kaboom issues. Feeding, fit, finish, and the like. Second, the fit and finish that Hi-Point allows through its quality control should be unacceptable. It takes an extra five minutes to deburr the metal parts and trim the rough mold lines on the plastic stock.

I thinkt he amount of guns sent back to Hi-point are vastly overplayed and they are quite taken advantage of. You can send your gun in with minimal to no problems at all and they will do maintence on your gun and send it back to you with a new mag. How many places will do that, no questions asked? And have it back to you at the end of the week?

Their warranty/customer service is second to none and that is a HUGE plus.

As to the the extra quality control for cosemetics? Dude, your getting a reliable 150 dollar gun with a transferable lifetime warranty. Your not buying a glock, sig, xd or anything. Not to mention the finish was flawless on my c9 with no molding marks or rough edges.

I'm a firm believer in saving up instead of trading up but sometimes that is someones only option. Maybe they could wait a alittle longer to get that higher priced gun, if they can get a reliable one at the moment?

As to the the extra quality control for cosemetics? Dude, your getting a reliable 150 dollar gun with a transferable lifetime warranty. Your not buying a glock, sig, xd or anything. Not to mention the finish was flawless on my c9 with no molding marks or rough edges.

I'm a firm believer in saving up instead of trading up but sometimes that is someones only option. Maybe they could wait a alittle longer to get that higher priced gun, if they can get a reliable one at the moment?

I would still argue that they aren't getting a reliable gun. And if you've never had a molding line cut into the web of your hand when you're shooting, try it. Its not fun.

But its pretty obvious you're a Hi-Point honk. Nothing wrong with that. I have brand loyalties as well. But its no use to have you or I debate this any longer. Nothing you can say is going to convince me that Hi-Points are good guns. Nothing I can say will convince you otherwise. So, lets agree to disagree.

I have had no experience with the .40 Hi-point, but between my dad, my brother and I, we have 6 of the 9mm Hi-point carbines. Two of them are a couple of years old, and the others were purchased a couple of months ago. All three of us have a good few guns, including multiple AR's, AK's, and other weapons. In my opinion, the best bang for the buck out of all of them is the hi-point.

They have all functioned very well. Sure the fit and finish may not be what it is on a $1000 AR, but I wouldn't expect it to be. We have had absolutely no reliability issues with any of them unless we have tried to use the 15 round promags which will cause them to jam fairly constantly. We paid under $200 each for all of them, and we have been very happy with them. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for home defense as none of them I have handled have given me any reason not to trust them. They are more accurate than I would have expected out to 100 yards.

By the way, I have read multiple reviews that have pitted the Beretta Storm against the Hi-point carbine with the Hi-point coming out on top. Remember the Beretta is 3x the price of the Hi-point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top