JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks.

I work at a gun retailer, and recently had hands on a Henry "Long Ranger" chambered in 223.

Further digging revealed that there is a 308 version as well.

To make it that the rifle has long(er) range accuracy and to eliminate the typical requirement of having to use certain profile bullets for safety concerns, Henry made these so that they are magazine fed.

If you could accurately shoot 200 ish yards with 1.5 moa accuracy, I would think that a lever action magazine fed 308 with a 1-6 power scope, would be a great combo between a short to medium range hunting gun, but that also works really well in the brush too. It would be really cool, to dial in a 1 power on the walk to the stand, and if something flushes, take a shot, along with the ability to reach out to 200 yards and take elk..

If you could have an illuminated reticle, the close range shots get even faster. Any thoughts or other ideas or things I overlooked?

I want the 223/556 version myself. For other reasons. I want to cut the barrel shorter and have it threaded. It could be a great brush gun, varmint gun, and suppressor host.

I think the barrel length is a bit long as there are mag fed options in 223 and 308 with more "brush" friendly lengths. 16-18". That's about all I got.

Though the lever action takes the cake for cool factor. That and Henry usually comes through with beautiful stocks.

The one I looked at, I liked. These may come in handy if the day comes when we have to turn in AR's and M1A's. To use up some of the ammo. It is advertised as having a .223/5.56mm chamber, 1-9 bbl. twist. Which if true as to having a 5.56mm throat, is a good thing as it will take military-type ammo. Seems just a little expensive but what isn't today. I'd take the one with sights.

I bought the Long Ranger in .308 and with the iron sights. I have yet to shoot it though - how pathetic is that?...

I like lever actions, and I thought having a backup for the .308 caliber would be nice should other rifles be discriminated against...

You may buy extra magazines from here. It's a very Amazon-like experience.

I want the 223/556 version myself. For other reasons. I want to cut the barrel shorter and have it threaded. It could be a great brush gun, varmint gun, and suppressor host.

I think the barrel length is a bit long as there are mag fed options in 223 and 308 with more "brush" friendly lengths. 16-18". That's about all I got.

Though the lever action takes the cake for cool factor. That and Henry usually comes through with beautiful stocks.

I prefer the BLR, especially the lightweight stainless takedowns - of which I own one in .308. I have a scout scope mount for it and that is what I am going to put on it. I may have Velzey cut the barrel down to 16-18" and thread it, but it is a pretty handy rifle as is and is lighter than the Henry.

However, Browning tends to make their BLRs with a twist rate too slow for heavier bullets - IMO.

I prefer the BLR, especially the lightweight stainless takedowns - of which I own one in .308. I have a scout scope mount for it and that is what I am going to put on it. I may have Velzey cut the barrel down to 16-18" and thread it, but it is a pretty handy rifle as is and is lighter than the Henry.

However, Browning tends to make their BLRs with a twist rate too slow for heavier bullets - IMO.

A BLR takedown with an 18" barrel would be a great gun for travelling or stuffing in a backpack and the shorter barrel wouldn't be too much of a disadvantage with lighter bullets. 147-150can take care of most things.

Even the Henry at a 1/9 is pushing it.

I want Remington to bring back this. (Or one to pop up at a pawn shop for a good price) ((Or another company make one))

1606098184112.jpeg

@GunInEachHand would a single shot suffice for the same purposes?

Henry also makes one in 308 and the barrel length becomes even less of a concern.

1606098441036.jpeg
I did up a 223 single shot a while back, it might be the one and only gun I regret selling. Talking about handy and easy to carry around. And accurate as all get out. 84570987-204D-413C-A7A6-830243FB28B7.jpeg

@GunInEachHand would a single shot suffice for the same purposes?

Henry also makes one in 308 and the barrel length becomes even less of a concern.

View attachment 781374
I did up a 223 single shot a while back, it might be the one and only gun I regret selling. Talking about handy and easy to carry around. And accurate as all get out. View attachment 781375
I (still) own a CVA hunter in 223 break action.
Hammer fired and good trigger.
Not a bad gun to let the new to guns crowd shoot the same (scary) round as the horrible black death machine ar's

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top