JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Woke up early this morning (couldn't get back to sleep from the aches and pains of crawling around under my daughter's Jeep all day yesterday installing a lift kit!) and I caught part part of the Henry Rifle 'infomercial'. The CEO/Pres (whatever his title) while describing the manufacture of the parts he picked up a receiver and referenced it as 'cast steel'. I thought the Henry .22 receivers were of some sort of cast alloy. If that is the case it seems a little disingenuous to represent them as 'cast steel'. No big deal, just a habit of mine of listening very carefully and picking up on things like this.

Well it took a while to track down, but if this quote, attributed to the company's owner, is accurate, then the receiver materials are different depending on the rifle's caliber.

...alloy recievers (all our rimfire rifles are these ones), solid brass receivers (all Big Boy rifles and the brass .30-30), and steel receivers (our .30-30 and our .45-70)...

Considering that the industry-standard AR, the Ruger 10/22, a metric buttload of Beretta, Sig, Colt and Springfield pistols, and even the Bushmaster BA50 .50 cal. rifle are all made of aluminum or other alloy, I think Henry's entry level lever action .22 will last a long, long time.

As a side note, further research in to the 'solid brass' receivers revealed that the material isn't really brass, its more akin to the old 'gunmetal', but the modern version is much stronger and in the league of structural steel.

I am starting to Jones for a Marlin M39A though :) .

Keith