JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I am a first time Mosin owner as of recent. I purchased a 91/30 through J&g Sales. A 1930 Tula. It was just packed in cosmoline, and the finish was horrible. I cleaned it up and noticed this while considering a method to clean up the bore. (Check the attachment).

What would cause the silver band? Does this look counter bored? Any ideas on how to clean up the bore ?

1410098308111.jpg

Another pic of the bore.

Hello all,

I am a first time Mosin owner as of recent. I purchased a 91/30 through J&g Sales. A 1930 Tula. It was just packed in cosmoline, and the finish was horrible. I cleaned it up and noticed this while considering a method to clean up the bore. (Check the attachment).

What would cause the silver band? Does this look counter bored? Any ideas on how to clean up the bore ?

1410100069958.jpg

1410100361426.jpg

I've owned and cleaned many surplus mosins. Best method I've found to clean the bore is a 32 cal nylon brush on a rod. Chuck the rod into your favorite drill. Inside a plastic bin with the stock and bolt removed. Add enough warm water to cover the action and barrel. Add a good amount of simple green. Then brush like crazy. Follow it up with a thorough drying. A good after clean with your favorite solvent. Then run a few patches saturated with your favorite solvent through the bore followed by a few dry ones. If it still isn't clean repeat.

The silver band is newly exposed metal from being turned on a lathe to counter bore the muzzle.

Keep in mind those rifles were used by an illiterate, poorly trained (and apathetic) peasant-army, and if/when they cleaned those things they most likely just crammed "whatever" down the bore via the muzzle, thus "boogering up" the rifling at the original crown which would be a detriment to accuracy.

Shoot that puppy and let us know how it works! :)

Hello all,

Yes, It does look like a re-crowning and counterbore. The rifle I own does not look like this.

I had the same experience with mine. Same counter-bore as well. It took me a whole bottle of Hoppes and plenty of good wood cleaner/polish.
Mine groups within 3 inches at 125 yards, which works for me. I use mine for my big game hunting and I usually take my shots within 75 yards.
My complaint is that it eats Winchester ammo which is all I can usually find. The Winchester soft points always get the tip nicked off when they get chambered in the bolt. The Tulammo that can be found on occasion chambers best and gives me the tightest groups.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top