JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am thinking of selling my Ruger 1911 and using the cash towards an AR-15. I got the 1911 for a good deal new. I have only taken it out to the range once, sending less then 100 rounds down range.

I am sure I could get what I paid for it, maybe even a bit more who knows.

Is this even a good idea or just plain crazy. I know in the end it is my choice but would like to hear from others as a "sounding board".

If I end up not selling the 1911, an AR15 is next on my list anyways. Selling it would just get me there a bit faster.

I don't like selling guns unless they are ones I don't like to shoot. And I don't like the feeling of seller's remorse.

I'd keep the 1911, save up for the AR, and have 2 sweet guns.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

IMO, unless you don't like the 1911 at all then by all means sell it. But if your comfortable with it I would difinitely keep it and learn how to shoot it well and achieve good muscle memory.
You can't go wrong with a person well trained in their 45 for all around (defensive) pistol in your home or where ever you may want to take it. Save your money. These days there are so many
AR platforms out there that it's mindblowing and their all great starters for under $1k.

I should give some more info. I have a Springfield XD-9mm that I love and a Ruger 10/22 that is a blast. The 1911 would be a safe queen most of the time as we all know how spendy 45acp can cost.

The only thing about the 1911, and I knew this buying one. The field stripping of it not as quick as my XD-9, and I knew that buying one.

I hate second guessing myself, and buyers remorse is even worse. I sold a 45 a few years back thinking I'd replace it with a better one but I still have yet to settle down with something I'm comfortable with. Nothing to dwell upon, just a situation that I wont get myself into again.

Just like everyone's saying, if you don't like it or don't feel like you'll ever learn to shoot it well then trade it. But 1911s are generally solid purchases especially when you got it on the cheap.

1911's are easy to strip once you get used to them.

The only thing I can add id- IF, and this is an IF, there is another AWB or ban of sorts you'll be much less likely to get an AR after than a 1911. Whether or not that matters or influences is up to you.

I agree with most everything posted.I love 1911s and have sold many over the years,only to replace them with a better one.
Same with ARs. Not too many but a few.
Point is, I ,and apparently many others,buy something and decide I don't like it as much as I thought,after a few months. No big deal.Like a guy at one shop said,he could make as much money renting the guns cause they come back after a couple months anyway.

So sell the 1911,go buy the AR and see if it's everything you wanted it to be. Doesn't work out? Sell the AR and buy a 1911 again. Or something else new
I do it all the time.

Buy a sig 516 or sig 556 instead of a DI AR-15. AR's are not all that everyone makes them out to be I have the nicest AR's before and always go back to my sig's or my Scar that I just got a few weeks ago.

Buy a sig 516 or sig 556 instead of a DI AR-15. AR's are not all that everyone makes them out to be I have the nicest AR's before and always go back to my sig's or my Scar that I just got a few weeks ago.

I really have to second the SIG 556, I shoot 500-1000 rounds without a single malfunction and without cleaning. Chamber is still spotless clean and a late evening cleaning is easy and takes less than 20 minutes. I don't carry my ARs much any more.

You made a good choice with your Ruger 11. If you want to venture into rifle shooting, do not relinquish a gun that will serve you for life. You seem like a person who drifts with the wind where firearms are concerned. You can find anchor with your first choice, and branch out and not relinquish that first choice. Try the rifle gig with a Ruger 10-22. You will instantly find economy, and pleasure. You could do no wrong sticking with the Ruger brand name for any and all other choices you make toward firearm enjoyment.

I commend you on your first choice. Do not relinquish it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top