JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We've been using a Foodsaver II for as long as I can remember. We've used ours for meats, fish, dry goods, vegetables, jarred goods, pretty much every kitchen/cooking task there was a need for over the years. It's been a great unit.
Recently it's started having issues with sealing/melting the bags. I'm not sure if parts are available due it's age. I'll be looking into it.

If it plays out I need to replace it, WHAT it gets replaced with, being of the same quality and performance for the $$$ is my main concern.
I don't mind spending the money. I want what I expect. Buy Once/Cry Once. I prefer a commercial unit that will serve the purpose for many years to come.

Your first hand, long term use feedback may help me with my decision.
Thanks in advance for your input.

You may not want to go to the extent I did (Sammic 310 chamber sealer) but I highly recommend a chamber sealer. A decent one can be had for $700-800. The VP215 comes to mind in that price range. A chamber sealer allows you to seal liquids and juicy things without compromising the seal. Bags are comparatively cheap compared to the food saver type and you can do sous vida cooking in them. If you step up into a bit better model you can get one capable of sealing retort bags which are the metalized type bags that you can use for canning. I do Albacore Tuna, venison, chili and stews in the retorts and it works great. I bought mine for my charter fishing business several years back and spent good money on it but it has been flawless and I do not regret the purchase one bit. B73C6C8E-8770-40DD-BD4A-B95682639E39.jpeg
94D4C872-04A0-4D19-871E-1DED4BFBD7B5.jpeg

Last Edited:
@
osprey

The process is definitely more efficient, in the manner it does what's needed. Cheap over the long term, and financially the best approach.
My hesitation is the size and storage on viewing what's available, but surely something to consider.
Less mess and fuss, cheaper bags, in the right application, a very worthwhile investment.
My not even seeing this type of sealer until your bringing it to my attention, even I would/will recommend them.
Mrs. 2A likes the idea, as do I. I'll be looking into them more.

Thanks!

Last Edited:
Yes they are a bit heavy and bulky. The upside to that is if you find dedicated space for it on a counter you will use it more often as it is always ready to go. Mine lives out in the shop on a rolling table with drawers to store the bags and my meat processing equipment.

Nothing wrong with FoodSaver, when they were a quality product. Ours always performed, up until recently.
Parts for the model I have are no longer available, and like anything that was good quality, no longer is.
And since I learned Bloomberg has/had his fingers in the company, I'll look elsewhere.
Mrs. 2A and I are now on the same page, and are currently looking into the VP210 & VP215 models.
Only differences of the two, the 210 is a DBL piston (dry) pump -vs- oil bath (quieter/serviceable by oil change)
The size/weight was being a hang-up for me, if man-handling.
A wheeled cart with drawers under the shelf for bags, and it would roll right under the bottom shelf in the near pantry with other kitchen essentials.
Roll it out, the height would be more than manageable without bending over and processing.

The wife's talking. Christmas may come early.
I'm near sold myself.

I bought a couple of Food Savers from Costco. One is the wife's and one is mine. I use mine for fish mainly. I like it because I can cut a bag to fit any size filet I want to freeze. Never had any issues with either. I've never had an issue buying rolls or pre-cuts either. i think I bought the last one for 119.00

I bought a couple of Food Savers from Costco. One is the wife's and one is mine. I use mine for fish mainly. I like it because I can cut a bag to fit any size filet I want to freeze. Never had any issues with either. I've never had an issue buying rolls or pre-cuts either. i think I bought the last one for 119.00

This is my wife and me.
We bought ours at Costco for $125.
We can buy rolls at several places where we live.
It has been a little workhorse for at least 4 or 5 years now.
If it finally bursts into flame trying to vacuum seal a walrus leg
we will run out and buy another one.
At that price there is no reason not to especially since it has been so dependable.

Nothing wrong with FoodSaver, when they were a quality product. Ours always performed, up until recently.
Parts for the model I have are no longer available, and like anything that was good quality, no longer is.
And since I learned Bloomberg has/had his fingers in the company, I'll look elsewhere.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
SO WILL I!!! Thanks for sharing this information.

Mrs. 2A and I are now on the same page, and are currently looking into the VP210 & VP215 models.
Only differences of the two, the 210 is a DBL piston (dry) pump -vs- oil bath (quieter/serviceable by oil change)
The size/weight was being a hang-up for me, if man-handling.
A wheeled cart with drawers under the shelf for bags, and it would roll right under the bottom shelf in the near pantry with other kitchen essentials.
Roll it out, the height would be more than manageable without bending over and processing.

The wife's talking. Christmas may come early.
I'm near sold myself.

You mean you near soiled yourself?
:s0140::s0140::s0140::p

I too like that I can cut the bag to fit the contents with the old horizontal one as well. I could also seal the end almost 1/4" from the end but the newer vertical model you have to feed the bag till it touches and then it auto seals an inch from the end. So in all reality you lose 2 inches per bag with these new ones, I don't like that but it's all I have for now.:s0092::s0092::s0092:

Well, here's hoping Bloomberg doesn't have his fingers in the company that
makes the pacemaker that will save your life someday.
I don't care who makes a product. If it is a good one I will use it.
Waving my little flag of protest by not buying something I want and need is
only punishing myself. Bloomberg, or whomever, could care less.

The above is just my opinion and not connected to any breakfast cereal whatsoever.
(Just don't eat Wheaties--they're evil)

With the chamber sealers you can buy a bulk roll of the grooved food saver type bags and seal any length you want with the bag external to the chamber sealer. Best of both worlds !

costco food saver here too. been a couple of yrs. its got the attachment to do bags and containers. I like the rolls as mentioned to get fish laid into it and got a bulk deal on food saver 1 gal. bags on amazon.

One of the Foodsaver features I really liked was being able to pump-down their containers and canisters. It was a great way to extend the shelf life of fresh fish a bit, with minimal hassle and no issues with liquid from the fish screwing up the heat seal on a bag.
I think I got a top of the line Foodsaver at the time, and it worked well for a number of years. Then it developed a problem, and like what happened with 2A2Dend, the company said my model was discontinued and not repairable. :(

Thanks everyone for all the useful (and not so) info.
I decided to not get the chamber type, and instead we ordered one of these.
And then we (Mrs. 2A) cancelled. (sigh) And now more into researching the vacuum chambers again.

At that point, I mixed a stiff one and planted myself into my chair for the night

Last Edited:
Thanks everyone for all the useful (and not so) info.
I decided to not get the chamber type, and instead we ordered one of these.
And then we (Mrs. 2A) cancelled. (sigh) And now more into researching the vacuum chambers again.

At that point, I mixed a stiff one and planted myself into my chair for the night

Ahhhh, the search continues.;)

As an aside, last night I had a dream of Crown Royal Reserve.:D

Usually the vp215's go on sale for $699 or so a few times a year. If you wait until Black Friday I am sure you can find a deal on one.
I seen that, back in June of this year, they sold for $650.
Hot item. Guessing exposure to the masses was plenty at the time, so the sale was exhausted.
Good to know, the BF sales. Problem------------>> Do I have the patience in a time of need...ERR, want?

I'm currently working with a reseller on a price of $800 NIB.
Shipping of 85 LBS = ($150+) Not cheap. Obviously (some) calculated in-to over-all price.
Waiting on finals and possibly a sale.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews