1. JOIN OVER 30,000 NORTHWEST GUN OWNERS

We are an organization dedicated to supporting gun owners of the Pacific Northwest. This website serves as a common rally point for over 30,000 gun owners from Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Converse, organize, volunteer, learn, contribute, trade, and most importantly, help us defend our Second Amendment rights!

Join now to participate - it's quick, easy, and 100% free

2. Forest Fire Danger

Pacific Northwest outdoor shooting locations are in danger of closure due to firearm related forest fires.

Please be responsible when shooting in our forests.

HELP! I need 6-48 screws

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing, Refinishing, & Repairs' started by Generator, May 3, 2010.

1. Generator

Generator Member

As many of you probably know, for absolutely no good reason, a lot of older guns and scope mounts were tapped for 6-48 size screws which you can't find outside of the gun-world.
    The side mount I bought for my Savage 6a had no screws, and the ones that were filling in the holes on the rifle are tiny.
    Rather than pay 10 bucks in shipping for a dollar worth of screws, does anyone know where to get some in Oregon or Washington, a GunSmith who would be willing to ship them for a few bucks.
    Thanks!

2. mattt

mattt Member

have you tried a bolt and screw store like Fastenall, Tacoma Screw, Industrial Fasteners Inc? Dont know if any of those are around Bend though.

3. Generator

Generator Member

We've only got stuff like ACE and HomeDepot around here, and the one store that might have gun screws is closed today.

4. jordanka16

jordanka16 Active Member Bronze Supporter

6-48 screws aren't really used outside the shooting world, it is highly unlikely you will find them in a regular store or machine shop. Your best bet is to go to a local gunsmith or gun store and try and find them there.

5. Taurus 617 CCW

Taurus 617 CCW Member

Shooter's Pro Shop at Nosler would probably have some they could spare you. When I was working there, they had a cup full of extra scope screws just laying around. Go see them, at the very worst they will charge you for them.

6. dobeman

dobeman Active Member

Brownells. I also got a 6-48 tap.

7. darkminstrel

darkminstrel Well-Known Member

8. Generator

Generator Member

I always forget about Nosler since they are in the high-end hunting side of shooting that I'm not.
    Thanks for the wake-up call. I'll be talking to them soon!

9. numbnutz

numbnutz Active Member

Hey generator I know it may be a bit of a trek outside Bend but there is a Fastenal in Redmond by the airport. I can't remember the street name but if you turn right at the light where Lowe's is it's down there on the right.

10. spectra

spectra Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Not really sure but the 6-48 number seems to be in my mind from the RC car days. Not really sure but try a hobby shop they might have something.

11. huntpotter

huntpotter Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Brownells sells a tray with all the set screws and scope mount screws you could need. most gun counters at sporting goods stores has one. They usually sell them for a buck or two, per screw. I don't know about Bend, but you might call a couple gunshops/gunsmiths.