JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You appear to be driving in the opposite direction, so you likely took the video on your way back from the class.
That is, heading west towards Front Royal and the intersection of I-66 with I-81 between Strasburg and Middletown.
Exit 18 is the exit for Markham, VA, which is only about 10-12 miles east of Front Royal.

When the Clan Sobo repatriated from Italy in 1976, the Grand Sobo bought a spread up on a hill outside of Front Royal between the North and South Forks of the Shenandoah River. I finished high school in FR, and lived at my parents' place in the summers during my second attempt at a degree from VA Tech (ultimately successful, I should add). During those four summers, I worked as a surveyor on a staking crew for a construction company based in Warrenton. For four summers, I drove this same stretch of interstate highway from FR to Warrenton and back every weekday, not to mention how many times I drove it to WDC and back in high school and thereafter.

I captured a screenshot from Google Earth at the location of the exit in your film. The similarity is beyond striking. The mountain in center-frame and far background is the extreme northern end of Massanutten Mountain, and is a prominent landmark in the area, also known as Signal Knob. The high point on the north end of this mountain played a large part in the Civil War as an observation post.

Compare the image below, captured from Google Earth, to the screen capture from your video at about the 5 to 6-second mark. The direction of travel is west (away from Fairfax), as evidenced by the north arrow in the lower right corner of the Google Earth image. You may need to click the image and magnify it for close comparison, but to me, it's unmistakably I-66 near Markham, travelling west toward Front Royal.

I-66_MarkhamVA.jpg I-66_MarkhamVA_FrankRW.JPG

Last Edited:
Great reply sobo! My kin started out in the Appalachians late-1700s (by way of what would become the UK).

I was drawn to VA, but nah, changed my mind. :)

klanmove1700s.jpg

I spent most of my youth in Chicago, then later, WV. Got outta there about as fast as I could. Moved to CA, not sure it was an upgrade. :)

Oregon is "home" now. I've worn out the travel-bug I guess. Is that part of becoming an "old fart"? lol

10pm, earnin' my livin'... One of three PCs I have in process around the shack at the moment.

frankRWpcrepairshack002.jpg

Good view of that side of the man-cave (garage) too.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top