JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm currently filling out the form to get my concealed carry license, and shopping for my first EDC handgun. I'm excited to be joining the gun community, but I want to make the right choice on my first gun. I've got my choices down to just a few guns that I'd like to shoot and see how I like them:

SCCY CPX-2
Taurus 740 Slim
S&W Shield (kinda outta my price range)

If anybody in the Vancouver/Portland area has any of these guns and is willing to take me shooting, it would be much appreciated, and I would pay for any ammo I used.

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to owning my first gun!

Welcome to the forum.

The CPX-2 is 9mm, the Taurus 740 is .40 S&W, the Shield I see in 9mm and .40 S&W. Your first two choices are between ~$200 and $300.

If you are going to carry, FIRST - you will want reliability. You will want to know that if you have to use your weapon that when you pull the trigger it goes bang.....EVERY TIME. You will want it to fit your lifestyle and climate for concealment, you will want it to be comfortable, like and extension of your body.

I recommend you save your money, even if it is $20 a week. Pack a lunch to work, dump your internet service for a couple of months, sell some things you no longer need or use, and buy a firearm you have gone to the range and shot. Put it in an inside the belt holster and see how it feels to walk, sit and stand. Then, after you have the firearm, get some range training above and beyond that required for your CCL.

I've been researching pretty heavily. It's very difficult to find someplace to test fire guns around here though. None of the shops have someplace to test fire them, and none of the ranges carry compacts because they want the beefy, durable pistols. I was hoping someone might pipe up and say, "I'll let you shoot my 740!"

My budget is very tight because I'm just finishing up college, then I start pilot training immediately after... So I initially set my budget at $300-$400. The SCCY CPX-2 was initially my top choice, but as I shopped, I found the 740 and the Shield. I've visited several shops, and I've held all these guns in my hands, felt the actions, the grips, the mag releases, the slides, slide locks, safeties, etc. Doing so knocked a couple guns off the list immediately, for instance the Baretta Nano, and the Bersa Thunder CC.

All three of the guns listed are comfortable in hand, have good mag release functions, good triggers, and good safeties (or none in the case of the CPX-2). Now I need to narrow it down. I've been researching reliability and durability, and they all seem to be very reliable and durable, with the Shield coming out on top. The Shield also has the highest price range by far, and wasn't as comfortable as the other two, so I'm trying to decide if I want to save up longer for a slightly more reliable, but less comfortable gun.

I initially was also limiting myself to 9mm. I had decided I wanted more stopping power than a .380, but I didn't want to go too big for the sake of capacity and concealability. Now I've opened myself up to the .40, however I am concerned about the kickback from a .40. When I shot the .380 Ruger LCP, it was such a small gun that it was very difficult to control, however that was also a very small gun. I figured I'd up the size of the gun, and up my caliber to a 9mm... but now I've learned that 9mm is currently difficult to find, and expensive, so I've opened myself up to the idea of a .40... But if I get a .40 the same size as the 9mms I was looking at, am I gonna have trouble with controlling the kickback?

I'm probably being more nervous than I need to be. My friend has a .40 Glock (don't know what model), so he's gonna take me shooting so I can see what the recoil of a .40 feels like on a full size gun, then I can make a more educated decision about whether I can handle a compact/subcompact .40

I'm saving money up with odd jobs on the side currently, every dime from my furniture deliveries and such go straight into an old .30 cal ammo can I picked up. If I decide I want a more expensive gun, I'll start being even more stingy, and I'll resign myself to waiting an extra couple/few months to pick up my gun.

I don't know if you're gonna read all this, if you do, thanks! If not, then oh well, it was good to get it all down on paper for my own sake.

I'm over 60, 6 foot 190 pounds, I shoot a full sized Colt Government .45 ACP, and that is my primary carry weapon. I also carry a Taurus 24/7 in 9mm, but it is very uncomfortable IWB. The Colt I carry in a shoulder rig. I have shot several .40's and they are not as bad as you would think. Proper grip and stance supports the weapon and you don't notice the recoil much.

Some gun stores will let you put a gun on layaway. It's an option! Good luck in college, and in flight school!

I'm 5'11" and 140 pounds soaking wet. The only handguns I've fired are .22s and that .380 Ruger LCP, so I don't have a good comparison point. I did just set up a shooting session with my buddy on Sunday, so I'll get to see what a full size .40 feels like!

From what I know, I have proper grip and stance, but man, that tiny .380 kicked hard for it's size! I dang near lost the thing. I'm sure a compact/supcompact won't be nearly as bad as that little pocket pistol, guess I'll find out Sunday!

I asked my local gun store if that was an option, and he said no, the guns he gets in sell too quickly for it to be beneficial to him to provide a layaway option. I'm gonna shop a few more local stores and see what prices we've got, and if layaway is an option at other places.

Thanks man! College has gone awesome, I couldn't have asked for a better education in my field. I am super hyped for flight school! I can not wait to get a job and start working on my pilot's license!

Thanks for your input and your reassurance! I really appreciate it.

Because of their mass, larger pistols do not transfer as much recoil to the shooter and a small frame or light weight pocket pistol. A full metal pistol will feel more comfortable than a light weight pistol in the same caliber with the same load.

Done your ground school yet?

First welcome to the forums... NEXT ....

Not to be critical, but if, as you say "you almost lost..." Then I would start to question who said you That You had a good grip.

PLEASE, understand.... Recoil is different for all guns, and hand size makes a difference in handling recoil as well.... But the 380, can be held and used reliably in that Ruger, when properly trained...By most anyone.

Is your friend who owned that, an instructor in hand gun use ???? You might not have had it in Proper control... Just saying, try, try again....

I have taught a 98 pound women to hold and fire Pocket Pistols, and after traing her, I had to BEG her to give me back my gun (Kel-Tec P32) smaller than the Ruger 380.

My first semi-auto hand gun, a Kel-Tec P11, has worse recoil, than my Glock 22, which is 45acp, my Glock 17 9MM is tame, to the P11 (9 MM) but neither conceals as easy, and no, I am not suggesting buy a Kel-Tec, I now believe in, as you were told above, save up your $$$$ and buy higher quality.

I had to tune my Kel-Tec to function, and It is reliable, NOW. but I have lots of magazines, that have a big X on them, reminding me that they are not for CARRY USE, I'll use them for training, like as in "Failure to Feed" problems !!!!

There is a Lot to learn, if you NEED to carry concealed.

I carried concealed, in Washington, Pierce County, and Ferry County, but I Only Carried a revolver, and one that I knew had Zero problems, because it was a glass smooth trigger pull, and I had practiced forever with it. Ruger Security Six, SS, 4 inch Bbl.... Oh how I wish I had never sold that gun.

Good luck in your Flying, one of my friends is going to Africa, very soon, to fly "Bush Pilot" for a missionary group... He is certified four engine, and dumps fire re-tar/dent for a living... Forest Fires hate him! ;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads