JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know if it may be worth it to take a charter out? Every time I have gone out has been summertime and I am just not sure what the fishing/conditions will be out there in the middle of January.

Doesn't look like a day I'd like to be out on.
They didn't nickname charter boats "pukers" for nothin'!

National Weather Service - NWS Portland

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR HAZARDOUS SEAS IN EFFECT THROUGH
TUESDAY MORNING...

.TODAY...S WIND 10 TO 15 KT...TURNING W TO NW 10 TO 15 KT THIS
AFTERNOON. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 9 FT EARLY THIS MORNING THEN
WILL BUILD TO 11 TO 12 FT THIS AFTERNOON. PERIOD AT 17 SECONDS.
.TONIGHT...N WIND 10 KT...VEERING TO E AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND WAVES
1 FT. W SWELL 11 TO 12 FT AT 16 SECONDS.
.TUE...E WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT. W SWELL 11 FT AT
15 SECONDS...SUBSIDING TO 9 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

.TUE NIGHT...SE WIND 15 TO 20 KT...BUT E NEARSHORE. WIND WAVES 2
FT. W SWELL 8 FT AT 17 SECONDS.

Last time I went, the day was gorgeous butt he Coast Guard would not let anyone out. I have a feeling that today will be like that, minus the gorgeous part.

I will keep my eyes out a few days before I do. I really hope they go out but if not, maybe I can find one just for crabbing in the bay.

Just an update. Went out Thursday morning and the weather was BEAUTIFUL!!! not a cloud in the sky, id say temp was in the 40s early and got higher as they day went on. The Ocean was calm with maybe 4-5 foot swells. The boat limited on rockfish and came close on Lings plus we averaged about 5 keepers per crab pot. I came home with 7 rockfish, 1 ling and 12 crab. I will tell ya, I was not expecting that kind of weather on the coast in the middle of January.

IF THE WEATHER and OCEAN COOPERATE then a great winter day on a reasonable ocean could be very productive. You are allowed 2 LingCod, and this year if the boat skipper will find the large ones, you could be in for a great adventure.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top