JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So from what Im seeing doesnt make too much sense to me. Im seeing glocks used for just as much as new, I was just down looking at the Glock chambered in 357sig with the compenstaed barrel NEW at a local dealer, his price was 579 and the Non compensated barrel was 559... Why is it used i cant find this weapon less for 600 even used and there's absolutly nothing special about it, no rounds or acc' just regular stuff.. Im not tryin to be an *** but does this mean I can ask 30 bux off what i paid for my SW md 659 12 years ago? can I ask 300 for my walther p22 i paid 329 for? I just dont really understand.. Ive been on the hunt alot lately and im seeing that most weapons used are going for nearly new prices, so why wouldnt one just choke spend the extra 40 bucks on a new piece?? Please clarify if im totally missing something..:confused:

From what I have seen you can go in a gun shop and buy a gun cheaper than a lot of private prices so shop a little. The high priced guns don't seem to be selling very well.

I hear you. From what I gather, firearms have historically been a 'good' investment compared to other things we buy. When properly cared for, they can last generations. Another thing to consider, is that a used gun purchased thru a private party has a value to some people in that there is no record of the sale or background check.

From what I have seen you can go in a gun shop and buy a gun cheaper than a lot of private prices so shop a little. The high priced guns don't seem to be selling very well.

OK so Im not crazy!!! I can understand sentimental value for sure, my 659 is probably worth 275 bucks but id never sell it for that.. :p

I hear you. From what I gather, firearms have historically been a 'good' investment compared to other things we buy.

I'm not sure I'd phrase it like that. In terms of durability, sure, guns hold value better than, say, an automobile (which drop in value what, 75% in five years?)

However, I would never term a firearm an "investment". There have been periods where you could buy some guns and resell them for more than you paid, true. Buying an assault rifle or hi-cap mag before the ban and selling it during the ban, for example. Of course, your hi-cap Glock mag would have shot up in value and now dropped back down. The reverse is also possible - if you'd bought a $75 17-round Glock mag during the ban, you'd have lost a lot of money. Heck, I saw a 50-round Thompson drum mag on a gun show take for $1,000 (!) during the hi cap ban. Today they're $200 at Midway.

Guns are a consumer item, and while some go up in value, most go down. Sure, that old pre-64 Winchester is very valuable compared to what you paid for it, but on the other hand, you'd probably be further ahead if you'd invested the money in 1963. And for every gun that goes up because the manufacturer discontinued it or some government regulation makes it valuable, there are ten others that slowly slide down in price.

Perhaps an exception is NFA weapons, just because there is a hard, unchanging limit on the number now and for the future. There will never be any more civilian-legal M16s. I don't know if they'll appreciate at the same rate as a traditional investment, and of course they are not as liquid (you have to find a buyer who has the money, etc.)

Another thing to consider, is that a used gun purchased thru a private party has a value to some people in that there is no record of the sale or background check.

That is a good point, though on the other hand, gun shops take credit cards.

I think a lot of people just have unreasonable ideas about what their guns are worth. If you buy a new Glock for, say, $500, fire 100 rounds through it, and then decide to sell it, don't expect to get $500 for it. I can buy one brand new for that price and I have a little bit of guarantee in that if it doesn't work as advertised, I can take it back to the dealer.

I'm not sure I'd phrase it like that. In terms of durability, sure, guns hold value better than, say, an automobile (which drop in value what, 75% in five years?)

However, I would never term a firearm an "investment". There have been periods where you could buy some guns and resell them for more than you paid, true. Buying an assault rifle or hi-cap mag before the ban and selling it during the ban, for example. Of course, your hi-cap Glock mag would have shot up in value and now dropped back down. The reverse is also possible - if you'd bought a $75 17-round Glock mag during the ban, you'd have lost a lot of money. Heck, I saw a 50-round Thompson drum mag on a gun show take for $1,000 (!) during the hi cap ban. Today they're $200 at Midway.

Guns are a consumer item, and while some go up in value, most go down. Sure, that old pre-64 Winchester is very valuable compared to what you paid for it, but on the other hand, you'd probably be further ahead if you'd invested the money in 1963. And for every gun that goes up because the manufacturer discontinued it or some government regulation makes it valuable, there are ten others that slowly slide down in price.

Perhaps an exception is NFA weapons, just because there is a hard, unchanging limit on the number now and for the future. There will never be any more civilian-legal M16s. I don't know if they'll appreciate at the same rate as a traditional investment, and of course they are not as liquid (you have to find a buyer who has the money, etc.)

That is a good point, though on the other hand, gun shops take credit cards.

I think a lot of people just have unreasonable ideas about what their guns are worth. If you buy a new Glock for, say, $500, fire 100 rounds through it, and then decide to sell it, don't expect to get $500 for it. I can buy one brand new for that price and I have a little bit of guarantee in that if it doesn't work as advertised, I can take it back to the dealer.

I dont know this guy at all but Im with him 100%

I couldnt have said it better.;)
and for the record, I dont own any NFW stuff but i do own an AR15, its value went from 1800 to 900 real quick..

So from what Im seeing doesnt make too much sense to me. Im seeing glocks used for just as much as new, I was just down looking at the Glock chambered in 357sig with the compenstaed barrel NEW at a local dealer, his price was 579 and the Non compensated barrel was 559... Why is it used i cant find this weapon less for 600 even used and there's absolutly nothing special about it, no rounds or acc' just regular stuff.. Im not tryin to be an *** but does this mean I can ask 30 bux off what i paid for my SW md 659 12 years ago? can I ask 300 for my walther p22 i paid 329 for? I just dont really understand.. Ive been on the hunt alot lately and im seeing that most weapons used are going for nearly new prices, so why wouldnt one just choke spend the extra 40 bucks on a new piece?? Please clarify if im totally missing something..:confused:

The reason you can't find any competitive pricing is because it is .357 Sig, They didn't make many because no one wants that caliber. If you look around you will find deals on 9mm and .40 cal Glocks since there is a huge market in Police trade in's. Coctailer had an in expensive Glock FS the other day.

a couple reasons. One- people still have the mentality that gun stores are empty and guns are hard to find. Plus it's easier to sit at home and shop the internet, then deal with some gunstore types. Also there is value to some people of having a gun "off the books".

The reason you can't find any competitive pricing is because it is .357 Sig, They didn't make many because no one wants that caliber. If you look around you will find deals on 9mm and .40 cal Glocks since there is a huge market in Police trade in's. Coctailer had an in expensive Glock FS the other day.

This is exactly correct. Glock 17 (9mm) everywhere, but still $300-$375 used. I had a Glock 21 (45acp) perfect condition, but had a hard time selling for $450.Why? because everybody wants a 9mm and everybody wants a 1911. 40's are even hard to sell, nobody has the ammo consistantly. Everybody wants a 9mm. Lucky, that the Glock 17 and 19's are the most produced Glock pistol. This keeps the price down when demand is up for them. Your not going to get a lot for a S&W 659, because of the new S&P's. You can have the nicest one in town, but nobody wants one.

A lot of people are listing there guns for a higher price than they are worth just waiting for the one idiot who doesn't price check to buy it.

There are a couple of guys on outdoorstrader that constantly list things for $100-200 more than I'd pay for them, but then again I don't have to buy them.

Do your job and shop on line and at the local dealers who sell for a fair price and you will do good, go to the Gunroom or NW Armory for over priced stuff.

a glock 27 at the gun broker is 499 normal i just got one used at fishermans for 460 with night sights and two finger extensions probably smarter to buy the new but i figured what the **** and got it used. it has proven to be a great gun wont back there prices on some stuff but i back fishermans 100%

everyone acts like its a 100% impossible to find ammo its no worst case scenario i have seen and me and my buddys get ammo every week is we call bi mart sportsmans(wholesale sports or whatever)or fishermans and one of the three always have it (always ) not trying to be rude or start arguments i just dont get the freak out over NO ammo sry

Free sales forums like this one do NOT accurately represent what weapons are going for. In free forums people often put stuff out at high prices to feel out the market. If you want to know what something is worth you have to go to GunBroker and see what the auction prices are on guns. The problem with GB is the shipping and FFL fee which will cost you about another $50. As far as wanting a gun that's unregistered, in a face to face transaction, I don't get it!

Would someone explain to me the advantage of not doing a FFL transfer?
Once a gun is in your name you can sell it to anyone in your state and not have to keep records of the transaction.
All a transfer proves is that you once owned that gun.
I don't think the government really believes that I still own 40 shotguns,200 long rifles and 150 pistols.These are conservitve number's I'm sure. I don't give a crop what happens to a gun once I sell it to someone who can legally own it. If they come to my door and ask for my assult weapons, the answer they'll get is ,I sold them all when Barack got elected and made a killing. I do still have this Kimber in my waist band though,and a permit to carry it.Wanna see it.

A lot of people panic buyed and paid way too much for guns,ammo,primer's and so on at the start of the year.It's hard to part with something for half what you paid for it less than a year ago. But a lot of people need the money more than the guns now, and there are some smokin deals out there, but not alot on this forum.

You have to know what somethings going for and what you'll pay. Cruze the gun classified forums and be ready to jump when you see that deal.They're out there.I find them all the time.:s0155:

Don't buy uncommon calibers (45GAP, 357sig, 40 S&W). They might be far more effective, but when ammo gets tuff to find. There is always 9mm hanging around.

9mm is the NATO round, along with 5.56 and 7.61 NATO. If the SHTF, those might be the ammo cans you might find? Anyway, I'm making sure I have one gun of each at least.

I too like the FTF sale and will pay a little more for it or drive a ways for it. Last two didn't even do any paperwork - just glanced at my CCW and took my money. Again, if the SHTF...

$.02