JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I and the crew I worked with must be some of the few that's not had that problem. Have had to stakeout or move for hours in the dark, then light everything up and go. Agreed, not fun on the eyes...but very doable.

As for distance, never short change oneself in that operational area. A enclosed area such as rooms in a house won't require the lumens that an outside open area will.

Both are a very basic training issue.

I still run X300 Ultras. So what do I know? :p

I like enough usable light to identify the target. Anything more is just showing off and risking disorientation. But again, I'm not here to argue. YMMV.

I still run X300 Ultras. So what do I know? :p

Well...with 1,000 lumens heating up the room, I can see some issues. Put that out in an open pitch black area, and I'll be thanking Surefire for every lumen.

I like high power lights for rifles, up to 1,000 lumens. 400-500 lumens for pistols, which will cover easily out to 25 yards and then some if need be, yet not blinding in small rooms/areas.

Whatever you choose, it has to work as well as the firearm you place it on, and for the range intended.

The least lumens I would consider is 400 for a pistol, 500 would be better.

Please, do not buy into the "Don't get a light that's too bright, you'll blind yourself shining it on a white wall or mirror " Ugh...

Having done many night operations, lumens are your friend. Also, outside in pitch black those conditions can eat up lumens, and make a subpar light seem like an old incandescent light running on 2 c batteries.
Steve what do you recommend (and run) for both pistol and rifle?

Steve what do you recommend (and run) for both pistol and rifle?

I know I'm not Steve, and I look forward to his response. But I dont think there is an appropriate light for both.

Just me talking. A flashlight nerd with well over 20 tactical style lights and lots of experience with them. I have more money in lights than some do in guns. Just saying. :)

I know I'm not Steve, and I look forward to his response. But I dont think there is an appropriate light for both.

Just me talking. A flashlight nerd with well over 20 tactical style lights and lots of experience with them. I have more money in lights than some do in guns. Just saying. :)

I'm not actually looking for one for both.
And Steve has been working with a couple of three letter agencies and training the LEOs in Puget Sound for more years than I've been shooting. While he may not have the latest and coolest gadgets, I know that his bubblegum just works.

For rifle...I run the Inforce WMLx 800 Lumen light. It's very low profile so my 1-4 scope can see over it. I like my lights at 12 o'clock. Where the sight goes, the light goes with it...with no shadows.

Having the light hanging off the side or under at 6 o'clock, makes one have to put themselves farther out from behind a barrier to clear it.

For Pistol, I have a Surefire x300 500 lumen

Last Edited:
I also have an odd T&E Streamlight TLR-1 I got a few years ago that's rated at 400 lumens that I use on a pistol as well.

Like I said above, my opinion is Pistol 400-500 lumens, and rifle at least 500 lumens, with 700-800+ being better.

I've used 800 lumens in tight quarters such as in houses with no ill effects. One just needs to know how to use them, so they won't work against you.

LEDs have come a long way in a very short time. Seems like yesterday 200 lumens was all the rage...now look at it.

I'm not actually looking for one for both.
And Steve has been working with a couple of three letter agencies and training the LEOs in Puget Sound for more years than I've been shooting. While he may not have the latest and coolest gadgets, I know that his bubblegum just works.

Never said it didn't.

@Cerberus Group knows his stuff. And I'm certainly not going to question that. But I also think there is more than one way to skin a cat. I'd be happy to run lower lumens on my pistol with him anyday.

Again, YMMV. But 3 letter acronyms don't impress me much.

Streamlight or Surefire, you can bet the farm on them. I've had a TLR2 for years, it's solid as can be.

Having said that....if you want a much less expensive option that I'm impressed with, I just bought one of these:

Leapers UTG 400 Lumen Sub-Compact LED Ambidextrous Pistol Light LT-ELP123R-A

Bright as hell and on sale right now at Primary Arms (and other places, I'd guess). No, it's not a Streamlight or a Surfire, but for the price, it's pretty easy to recommend. Mounts up solid on my Glock, uses a CR2 Lithium battery....seems a very reasonable choice for the price. Up to your wallet and requirements. Will I be replacing my other lights....no. Is it a worthy light...yes, I'd say so. Hard to beat for the price.

As they say, another opinion.....

I had a chance to play with one awhile back. Its hot spot and spill are very usable. Not sure of its longevity, and how hard of use it would withstand, but its not bad for the price.

CMR-204 green laser & light from Crimson Trace. Good company, reliable product.

2B65B6E5-5E7D-4010-BFBA-B059E101A542.jpeg

My streamlight went kaput walking home from work in the rain or it'd be next to the surefire x300 on my list of dependable lights

New Olight Mini I picked up for black friday is looking promising but I wouldn't trust my life to it just yet until more testing

I like msot of my OLights, but I had one arrive DOA out of the box. I also had a Streamlight that the button got stuck on, then stuck off. I don't have enough experience yet with Surefire to know if it deserves the reputation is has. Also, the Streamlight weapon light may (hopefully) be much better quality than its flashlights? Time will tell, but since it is a weapon light I don't use it near as much as my flashlights.

@Cerberus Group knows his stuff. And I'm certainly not going to question that. But I also think there is more than one way to skin a cat. I'd be happy to run lower lumens on my pistol with him anyday.

Again, YMMV. But 3 letter acronyms don't impress me much.

That's ok. Have you ever taken a class from Cerberus? If not you really should consider it. What impressed me the most about his classes is his relentless focus on efficiency in a gunfight. Any piece of kit or movement that doesn't work reliably, he tosses out. He may not have the latest and greatest and definitely not the flashiest. I teach basic pistol classes and I'm in awe of Cerberus' courses.

Anyway, back on topic, thanks Steve for the recommendations. I'll use those as a starting point.

Having said that....if you want a much less expensive option that I'm impressed with, I just bought one of these:

Leapers UTG 400 Lumen Sub-Compact LED Ambidextrous Pistol Light LT-ELP123R-A

Bright as hell and on sale right now at Primary Arms (and other places, I'd guess). No, it's not a Streamlight or a Surfire, but for the price, it's pretty easy to recommend. Mounts up solid on my Glock, uses a CR2 Lithium battery....seems a very reasonable choice for the price. Up to your wallet and requirements. Will I be replacing my other lights....no. Is it a worthy light...yes, I'd say so. Hard to beat for the price.

As they say, another opinion.....

I own two of these for use indoors in my home. One is on my Glock in the nightstand, the other is on my AR pistol next to the bed. They've worked great in practice, never had to use one for a situation.

The xc surefire are great lights!! But they require additional training.

I think all lights require additional training. Going from no weapon mounted light to a mounted weapon light.

I don't get it... what kind of additional training? My lights are slung under the barrel and don't protrude past the barrel... the shoot where the center spot is at residential room distances. I don't wander around with a light on clearing the house. See a human... light him up to make sure it's not my wife, and shoot where the light points. Pretty simple to me... what am I missing?

Also, the Streamlight weapon light may (hopefully) be much better quality than its flashlights?

I bought a Streamlight 30 to replace my 4 cell Maglights I was using for home inspections. It was a big improvement since it didn't have much of a center dark spot and it had more lumens. Didn't have to carry a huge light under the house anymore. Today I'm retired and own some AA LED lights that outshine all the large flashlights I've owned. Now I have one in every vehicle and in every room in the house. BTW, that Streamlight is still working 30yrs later. Have gone thru 2 charges and 2 battery packs tho. I like the AA lights because it is so simple to change out batteries. I also have a few tactical lights that use 3AAA batteries. I don't like them as well.

In general I use a mounted light on my Glock in the nightstand, a separate tactical light in a nightstand with my Judge, and one in the other nightstand with my wife's .357 revolver. I'd say training is definitely needed for those using a separate tactical light vs a mounted light. It's that much different because of various methods of holding the light, and that you have to use your sights or a mounted laser or both... you can't just shoot where the light shines like you can with a mounted light at short distances.

For going out in the yard if I need to, I have a high lumen light under the barrel of my Mossberg 500 tactical shotgun. It's for illumination, for targeting I have a laser and a reflex optic.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top