JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have recently gotten into MTB heavily and will be biking some remote trails deep in the woods, and was wondering what handgun would you guys recommend for protection while in the back woods.

Also what do you think the best way to carry it would be so if i had to draw quickly from the bike i could do so. I was thinking just on the belt since there is no real need to CC in the woods, but wanted to get your guys opinion on it.

Right now i have an EDC pocket pack 9mm, but i don't think it would do the job if confronted by something more than a person, and am looking to possibly carry something different for the woods.

thanks guys.

JP

If you're looking for something bigger than 9mm have you considered the XDS in .45? It should be pocket-able fairly easily plus light enough to ride with.

My camelback has a small pocket in the back so I can reach around and pull it out if necessary pretty easily. That might work for you.

I picked up a Glock 20 to be my woods handgun. I think it will handle about anything I encounter carrying15 rounds of 10mm.

Put some consideration into where you carry while biking. Depending on your riding style and personal skill level be careful of wearing a gun somewhere you can crash and fall on it. I have crashed where I would have broken ribs if I'd been belt carrying, but luckily I was carrying in my pack that day. It probably goes with out saying but a holster with solid retention is probably on the must buy list for biking. Something with a thumb break or like a Safepacker maybe.

Put some consideration into where you carry while biking. Depending on your riding style and personal skill level be careful of wearing a gun somewhere you can crash and fall on it. I have crashed where I would have broken ribs if I'd been belt carrying, but luckily I was carrying in my pack that day. It probably goes with out saying but a holster with solid retention is probably on the must buy list for biking. Something with a thumb break or like a Safepacker maybe.

ouch i never thought about that. i doubt i could get to it fast enough if it were in a backpack.

I would suggest an FNH FNX either is 40 S&W or .45 ACP in a chest rig of some sort. The reason for the FNX is it can be carried cocked and locked (with the safety on), carried hammer down with the safety on or hammer down with the safety off. Rugged gun with options for how you carry. My only gripe with the Glock ( and I am a Glock fan) is the plastic sights. A nasty spill could really chew the rear site up, course it could damage a metal one as well.

Well you'll want the biggest caliber you can get if your worried about wild animals and the ability to have a large capacity. I'd say some +p FMJ 45s with a quality full size pistol. Just my two cents, I'd roll with an HK45, good luck :s0155:

As for how to carry, I'd highly recommend the Hill People Gear Kit Bag. I own the original Kit Bag and love it for hiking, fishing, etc. Keeps a pistol tight to your chest but very accessible. For MTB specifically, I'd get either the Runners or Snubby Kit Bag for a lower profile option. If you read some of the online reviews on these things, you'll see quite a few people mention using these for both trail running and mountain biking. I'm planning to order a Snubby specifically for Mountain Biking.

See hillpeoplegear.com

As for how to carry, I'd highly recommend the Hill People Gear Kit Bag. I own the original Kit Bag and love it for hiking, fishing, etc. Keeps a pistol tight to your chest but very accessible. For MTB specifically, I'd get either the Runners or Snubby Kit Bag for a lower profile option. If you read some of the online reviews on these things, you'll see quite a few people mention using these for both trail running and mountain biking. I'm planning to order a Snubby specifically for Mountain Biking.

See hillpeoplegear.com
I cannot recommend this enough, although I don't do much MTB anymore when I did I carried in every possible way imaginable and was never comfortable enough, it was either comfortable to carry or easy access. That is until hill people Gear, that kit Bag is the only way to carry for me in the backwoods now. Safe, secure, comfortable and easy to carry, and lightning fast to draw. As far as what I carry, well, I only carry to deter two legged creatures,

See hillpeoplegear.com
I cannot recommend this enough, although I don't do much MTB anymore when I did I carried in every possible way imaginable and was never comfortable enough, it was either comfortable to carry or easy access. That is until hill people Gear, that kit Bag is the only way to carry for me in the backwoods now. Safe, secure, comfortable and easy to carry, and lightning fast to draw. As far as what I carry, well, I only carry to deter two legged creatures,

I was going to get a Chesty Puller to go with my new holster for my FNX, but after looking into the kit bags, I am going that route instead. I was looking for an easy way to carry on a bike or with a pack.

I would take a look at a judge. You can have 410 shot shells, or 45 long colt. You can get it in multiple configurations and materials.

Yeah i was looking into a judge public defender or a glock 29 and am having a hard time choosing but am leaning towards the glock.
I am going top pick up a hill people runners bag and try it out thanks for pointing that out it looks like a great cycling pack. also going to add a vanguard whole system to it since i like the way it looks and will make the glock feel safer int he bag to me, an can use it for an iwb holster when not biking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top