JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These guns have been around forever so I'm hoping there are some opinions. I'd like to pick up a 20 gauge version to have a relatively cheap, reliable, compact, fun plinker that could also be used in the field if needed. I'm wondering if anybody can comment on their experiences with them. I've owned the Rossi 20 gauge before but since it had a hollowed out plastic stock it is so light it kicked way worse than my 870 12 gauge. I also didn't like the way it pointed. The way the barrel tapered down made it impossible to get a line of sight straight down the barrel and I always shot high. I know the H&R/NEF are also fairly light but can't be as bad as the Rossi. I already own the aforementioned 870 as well as a Savage 24 chambered in .22lr over 20 gauge. I don't have any rational explanation why, but a single shot break open just has a lot of appeal to me.

Get one. They are cheap and will work as you wish. I have one with both 20 ga. and. 30-30 barrels. Its my favorite loaner grouse/deer gun. Will shoot sub 2 Moa with rifle barrel and Rem. Core Lokt 150 gr. bullets.

Ok so that answers a question I forgot about, which is the interchangeability of the rifle/shotgun barrels. Can you buy the barrels individually, or only by sending the gun in to the factory? I'd love to have one with barrels for 20, .410, .223 and .357.

Ok so that answers a question I forgot about, which is the interchangeability of the rifle/shotgun barrels. Can you buy the barrels individually, or only by sending the gun in to the factory? I'd love to have one with barrels for 20, .410, .223 and .357.
In my dealings, for extra barrels or ones in different gauges/calibers i had to send it to the factory. They hand fit them.

But the Xcaliber would allow you to utilize those mentioned calibers.
However, accuracy in using them wouldn't be as accurate as a full barrel.

I recently bought a used one in .223 and am so far impressed. I do not have it completely 'dialed in' yet but initial accuracy results are promising. I WILL be performing the mod to eliminate the the spring action on the shell ejector though!

The new ones, post Remington need to be sent in for rifle barrel fitting. This can only be done with the newer SB2 frame. The old SB1 type such as I have, I am not so sure about. Best check with them. I hear they somewhat prefer rimmed cartridges although many people do have good luck with rimless cases too. Excepting the .243. For some reason the. 243 is universally disliked in the Handi Rifle. Dont know why, just what Ive read. I plan on buying one in. 357 mag. and reboring to. 357 Maximum to experiment with paper patched cast bullets. Good luck with yours.

bringing thread back from the dead.

Im thinking about a H&R single shot break action in 444 marlin. I was initially looking at 45/70 but the ammo is a $1 more a round and not as easily found. Anyone have experience with one of these in a larger caliber?

Mostly planning gopher hunting.

Im thinking about a H&R single shot break action in 444 marlin. I was initially looking at 45/70 but the ammo is a $1 more a round and not as easily found. Anyone have experience with one of these in a larger caliber?

I had one in 45-70 I put a 4x leupold on it, it shot extremely well, around 1" at 100 yards from the bench. Didn't kick bad at all, actually very mild recoil.

I am a big fan of 45-70 :s0155:
Lots of options available :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR