Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

H&R break action pros and cons

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Architect, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Architect

Architect Portland, OR Member

I've been wanting a shotgun for a while and have been waffling between a pump and break action. I'm looking for a gun that's fun to shoot and has all-around capability for shooting at the range and maybe some bird hunting down the road.

I've been enamored with the beat-it-up price and quality of the H&R Pardner break action (12ga). Have you folks run into any issues with these? I've heard of problems with the transfer bar breaking but was wondering if that was unique to this shotgun or if it was something that is just a general issue. Seems like it would take a lot of loads through the gun to break the transfer bar.

Still considering an 870 express, but I'm currently leaning toward the H&R.

2. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Everybody should own one or ten. I think there great for the money. I dont care if I forget it in my truck for weeks (wet). I will sand it down and paint it again.
    If your patient you should be able to get a single shot shotgun for well under 100.00. I think I gave 45 or 55 dollars for my worst one (the truck gun) from a gun shop.

Architect likes this.
  3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Single shot shotguns are fantastic:

*different caliber/gauge adapters can be used in a single shot shotgun.
    *you can purchase different barrels and even different gauges if you so choose (must send receiver for fitting into H&R)
    *less moving parts
    *easy take down
    *easy cleaning
    *Barrel "could"
    (against the law if under 18")
    be cut down if SHTF with ease.
    *can be had in pawn shops for
    $50-140

I purchased my rifled barrel slug gun from a pawn shop for $75.. Retails for $180-$200, barrel had iron sights and was in mint condition. These things are built like tanks, not a whole lot can go wrong with them. If you're planning on hunting or enjoying a full afternoon of shooting, get the longer barrel..

The shorter single shot shotgun barrels are unwieldy with a slug, and not enjoyable.. Not only for woman or kids.. Even I had a hard time enjoying the shorter barrel when shooting 00buck and slugs.. And Im 6'6 and 325.. Still not too fun, at least out of a single shot 20" rifled slug barrel.. Not enough length or weight to keep the barrel from rising, a longer barrel would help.

Anyhow, most of the new NEF/H&R shotguns are going to have SB2 receivers (hollowed out to lighten/ "strengthen" them) where as the SB1s are a solid hunk of steel.

The shotgun receivers cannot handle the pressures of a center fire rifle barrel (or so it states on the website)
    But I hear it'll work the other way around a rifle receiver can handle a shotgun barrel/pressure.

Its been a while since Ive been on H&Rs website so I may have got that last part mixed up.

All in all, buy one.. you wont regret it.

WilliamIV and Architect like this.
  4. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Longview, Washington Active Member

I like mine. Never had an issue. They're cheap, reliable, and simple. Every one should own one.

5. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I've got an 870 Super Magnum Express, I'm not a fan of the finish. That sucker will rust while you're looking at it. Keep it oiled, and she'll be fine. Remington definitely has cut corners on the shotgun, and on occasion has extraction issues, I think Winchester Super X maybe?

6. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

I have three H&R single-shot guns, a .410 that was my Grandfather's, a 12 ga that I bought at a gun show last fall and a Buffalo Classic (45-70, 32" barrel) that I've had for a few years. They're all great guns. Inexpensive, simple, reliable. Some day I'll send one of the receivers in to have more barrels in different calibers fitted. Its a great deal, $100-150 on average for each additional barrel!

7. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

Simple, inexpensive guns that you can do a great deal with. My suggestion to you is to ship it to Remlin as soon as possible to fit any new barrels you want. The way they are cutting calibers and options I fear it might not be long at all before they are discontinued completely. Being poor and on a budget they have really filled a lot of gaps for me in "needed " firearms. Got 2 deer caliber barrels, 1 elk caliber barrel, and 1 grouse/squirrel/etc. barrel all for less than $750. None of mine are tack drivers but all 3 rifle barrels hold around 1.5 MOA or so. Minute of deer, I'm happy.

8. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Vancouver Bang Bang

The break actionis great I have the Rossi matched pair which is 12g and swap the barrel for 223 paid 150 bucks and it's a wonderful little gun, but if you are just interested in the shotgun part is recommend the pardner pump by h&r it's a copy of the Remington police magnum and I've boughten two in the last few moths paid 100 for the first and 135 for the second that came with 3 sets of furniture

9. Architect

Thanks for the advice, folks! I'm definitely leaning toward a new H&R single shot. Found a decent deal on a new one, but MAN you guys seem to always find even better deals. It may be a couple weeks before I jump into it but I'm looking forward to it!

10. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Pawn shops!

11. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Vancouver Bang Bang

Armslist and here is where I find the best deals

12. jluck

And ask around. Most gun guys have at least one of them and are quite often willing to get another person started.

Architect likes this.
  13. Architect

I actually ended up going to 4 or 5 pawn shops today, but surprisingly none of them carried any break action shotguns. I did see an M6 Scout in great condition with the original box that I wanted but it was priced very high so I didn't even attempt to haggle.

I'm thinking I'll end up getting the H&R new from Fisherman's Marine.

14. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Makes you a better shot when you only have one chance.

15. Architect

Good call. Just posted in the Items Wanted section.

16. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

My daughter's BF recently found an H&R 12 ga. for $80.00

17. jluck

I actually found three I totally forgot about when going through boxes a while back. None I want to part with though, sorry. Gotta keep that stuff for boys and there someday families.

Architect likes this.
  18. Architect

Well...couldn't help myself and I picked up a new H&R 12ga. Ended up calling a Sportsman's Warehouse and they had it in stock unlike everywhere else that I tried over the last couple days. Nice, friendly, helpful employees at that place. I'll be going back.

Couple things about the gun that aren't ideal (purely aesthetic):
    1. It's a laminated wood stock now instead of solid
    2. The receiver seems to be parkerized rather than blued
    I suppose I can always shop around for a replacement stock and forearm (i.e. http://item.brownells.com/tertiary/hr-forends-handguards/index.htm)

jluck and JohnnyD like this.
  19. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Now you need to find an H & R Handi Rifle in a caliber you like. I finally found one in .223 and really like it. You don't see as many for sale recently but they occasionally pop up. I am looking for one in .357 Magnum and that seems to be a dream right now.

20. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Just picked up an old "Bay State" model H&R single shot 20 gauge. Beautiful old gun, now I have one in each of .410, 20 gauge and 12 gauge. They're cheap and reliable, can't go wrong!