JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Everybody should own one or ten. I think there great for the money. I dont care if I forget it in my truck for weeks (wet). I will sand it down and paint it again.
If your patient you should be able to get a single shot shotgun for well under 100.00. I think I gave 45 or 55 dollars for my worst one (the truck gun) from a gun shop.

Single shot shotguns are fantastic:

*different caliber/gauge adapters can be used in a single shot shotgun.
*you can purchase different barrels and even different gauges if you so choose (must send receiver for fitting into H&R)
*less moving parts
*easy take down
*easy cleaning
*Barrel "could"
(against the law if under 18")
be cut down if SHTF with ease.
*can be had in pawn shops for
$50-140

I purchased my rifled barrel slug gun from a pawn shop for $75.. Retails for $180-$200, barrel had iron sights and was in mint condition. These things are built like tanks, not a whole lot can go wrong with them. If you're planning on hunting or enjoying a full afternoon of shooting, get the longer barrel..

The shorter single shot shotgun barrels are unwieldy with a slug, and not enjoyable.. Not only for woman or kids.. Even I had a hard time enjoying the shorter barrel when shooting 00buck and slugs.. And Im 6'6 and 325.. Still not too fun, at least out of a single shot 20" rifled slug barrel.. Not enough length or weight to keep the barrel from rising, a longer barrel would help.

Anyhow, most of the new NEF/H&R shotguns are going to have SB2 receivers (hollowed out to lighten/ "strengthen" them) where as the SB1s are a solid hunk of steel.

The shotgun receivers cannot handle the pressures of a center fire rifle barrel (or so it states on the website)
But I hear it'll work the other way around a rifle receiver can handle a shotgun barrel/pressure.

Its been a while since Ive been on H&Rs website so I may have got that last part mixed up.

All in all, buy one.. you wont regret it.

I've got an 870 Super Magnum Express, I'm not a fan of the finish. That sucker will rust while you're looking at it. Keep it oiled, and she'll be fine. Remington definitely has cut corners on the shotgun, and on occasion has extraction issues, I think Winchester Super X maybe?

I have three H&R single-shot guns, a .410 that was my Grandfather's, a 12 ga that I bought at a gun show last fall and a Buffalo Classic (45-70, 32" barrel) that I've had for a few years. They're all great guns. Inexpensive, simple, reliable. Some day I'll send one of the receivers in to have more barrels in different calibers fitted. Its a great deal, $100-150 on average for each additional barrel!

Simple, inexpensive guns that you can do a great deal with. My suggestion to you is to ship it to Remlin as soon as possible to fit any new barrels you want. The way they are cutting calibers and options I fear it might not be long at all before they are discontinued completely. Being poor and on a budget they have really filled a lot of gaps for me in "needed " firearms. Got 2 deer caliber barrels, 1 elk caliber barrel, and 1 grouse/squirrel/etc. barrel all for less than $750. None of mine are tack drivers but all 3 rifle barrels hold around 1.5 MOA or so. Minute of deer, I'm happy.

The break actionis great I have the Rossi matched pair which is 12g and swap the barrel for 223 paid 150 bucks and it's a wonderful little gun, but if you are just interested in the shotgun part is recommend the pardner pump by h&r it's a copy of the Remington police magnum and I've boughten two in the last few moths paid 100 for the first and 135 for the second that came with 3 sets of furniture

Now you need to find an H & R Handi Rifle in a caliber you like. I finally found one in .223 and really like it. You don't see as many for sale recently but they occasionally pop up. I am looking for one in .357 Magnum and that seems to be a dream right now.

Just picked up an old "Bay State" model H&R single shot 20 gauge. Beautiful old gun, now I have one in each of .410, 20 gauge and 12 gauge. They're cheap and reliable, can't go wrong!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top