JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK I know this has been beat to death already, but here is what I am looking at.

I want to buy about 4 handguns for house duty, they would stay in the house for HD.

I have trouble deciding what I would want. Here is some of what I am looking at. ( the .40 would be a new caliber to us )

Ruger SR40 or SR9

Sig Sauer SP2022 .40 or 9mm

Taurus 24/7 G2 .45 or .40

ATI 4.25" 1911 .45

I also tossed around the idea of .357 revolvers also

I like the DA/SA that the Sig and the Taurus has.

So out of the ones listed what would you pick for you and your wife/girlfriend to use, or do you have any other options??

Just something I have been thinking about.

This Thread can now be Closed....

Depends on whether Wife/Girlfriend has shot a handgun before and whether she was comfortable with the .40 Smith or .45 ACP chambering. Given that, I would recommend a Benelli M4.

This Thread can now be Closed....

Depends on whether Wife/Girlfriend has shot a handgun before and whether she was comfortable with the .40 Smith or .45 ACP chambering. Given that, I would recommend a Benelli M4.

Oh she can shoot, you wouldn't want to be down range. Already have a SG in the bedroom, a little harder to stash 4 SG's through out the house.

I just thought maybe someone would have some insight on why or why not to pick one of the ones listed, I guess not.

Hi John H,
I would go and fine a friend or someone that has the weapons you would like and Fire them. Make sure that you and you other half Firer them
And see which one is the best for you and them. You can rent them at some of the shooting range. Clackamas Shooting range, The place to
shoot North Portland, and Tualatin Shooting range there. As for me I would go with Dunerunner as for a shotgun does not need as much training
as do Handguns.
Hope this help,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

My 2 cents. Opinions will vary...

I like .45acp for HD... 9mm is more likely to penetrate drywall and hit somebody in the next room...

.40 is new to you... Snappy caliber... Good choice but i'd stick with .45acp... Since your wife can handle it...

I have 9mm for my wife, .45acp in my bedside safe. My wife doesnt like .45.

Ever thought of xd's. Thats what i have, as well as px4's

Even if you have no kids, get small gun safes... Last thing you need is an inyruder finding your weapon and using it on you...

Three cheap guns, and a 1911. This isn't really a list of guns I'd go with personally, and I would focus less on trying to stash 4 guns throughout the house. Instead think about other security to give you time and stash one or two in appropriate locations.
Look at- Glock, Springfield XD/XDM, Sig P226/229, S&W M&P, etc.

Not a fan of guns you listed.

check, M&P series or XD series, Glock series, CZ 75 or SP01

also go to the gun shop with her, so you and her can feel the guns. It doesn't matter how expensive firearm is, if it does not fit well, it's not a firearm for you.

Oh she can shoot, you wouldn't want to be down range. Already have a SG in the bedroom, a little harder to stash 4 SG's through out the house.

I just thought maybe someone would have some insight on why or why not to pick one of the ones listed, I guess not.

In that case...

In .40 S&W... I have shot the Springfield Armory XD and find the ergonomics to be a natural fit for me. The guns I shot both operated flawlessly and were very accurate. I would not hesitate having one as a go to gun. Both were 4" XD .40 California compliant with 10 round magazines. They run about $450

In .45 ACP... I own a Colt 1991A1 Stainless full size Government and have never had a FTF after nearly 1000 rounds. It is accurate and my primary carry pistol. 7 round magazines but larger capacities are available. I carry 7+1. The Colt 1911 Series 1991 commander looks nice at about $900

Springfield Armory makes some very nice 1911 series pistols as well priced from $550 - $1300

I will not recommend polymer in .45 but that is me. No real reason, I just like the way an all steel gun feels when firing the .45ACP round.

I apologize for being flippant in my other post, John.

john someone suggested asking a friend who has guns to take you and your wife shooting to try out different guns, this as well as the suggestion for renting at the range is good also. i took my wife shopping for her first gun the day after we were married as my wedding gift to her from me. we tried out a large number of weapons since she was having trouble with her arm at the time. we wound up getting her a pt-22. (yes it is a 22 and not the most power but when being hit in the face with rounds of it it tends to take the fight right out of you) anyway i told her for women i tend to lean towards revolvers simply because the time it takes to get from the front to door where a couch is located in the avg living room is 2.3 seconds, if an automatic misfires the slide will have to be racked to chamber a new round, with a revolver all she has to do is pull the trigger again thus rotating a new round into sequence and having a good chance of it firing. yes on occasion a revolver may jam but the frequency is much lower than with an automatic.
she now has a 38 special and even though she actually owns more automatics than revolvers she recommends the revolver for a woman as well as a man for the same reasons.

if you feel the 38 is too low powered airsafe makes two breeds of ammunition that are similiar to magsafe one has better penetration and will go thru heavy clothing that maybe experienced in your part of the country during the winter.

i myself also have a revolver in 357 and it is a taurus and have never once had it fail on me. it was reasonably priced and does carry a lifetime warranty. i recomend training for both yourself and your wife so that if you do wind up in a situation that requires the use of deadly force it is instinctive rather than something forced. this means dont just use the sights at long range or mid range bring the target to a standard combat range that would be faced in the home and use instinctive alignment and get used to being able to hit your target this way. yes sights can be important but if you have a weapon trained on someone breaking into your home dont think they will hold still and allow you to line the sights up to be sure to hit them.

I think either Sig or Ruger.... you probably want to have some weapon lights mounted on those pistols so you can ID your target and not shoot fluffy in the middle of the night. I think a 9mm with good JHP ammo would do the job.... I don't buy into that whole .45 is better argument. I personally run .40 cal talons or HST (I would go with Cor-Bon but too darn expensive) and I have a blackhawk light on my Glock with a 22 round factory mag. If things get really hairy, the hardest part will be if I wanna go to my AR or AK lol. I have soft tips in either so.... but I would think twice about using either rifle because I live in apartments.... I'm not trying to be NYPD and shoot a bunch of innocent people.

I'd go with .357 magnum revolvers. The .357 magnum can shoot .38 Spl, .38 Spl +P, .357 magnum light load, .357 magnum moderate load and .357 magnum heavy load. This might more easily accomodate diferent folks such as children, spouse, parents, grandparents, and even open the door for a lever action carbine in the mix.

There is nothing wrong with the Ruger SR series, they're pretty good. I have a Springfield XDM and love it.

I guess my first question would be do you care about magazine capacity? Because you may want to factor that into your decision. Also, you may want to mix it up and get a few different pistols based upon the preference of your wife and you. I would rather have four diiferent pistols than four of the same kind. As they say "variety is the spice of life."

If your gonna stash some handguns around the house, get a couple of the same ones. Same ammo, magazine and they handle exactly the same. That will leave less room for error when you don't have the time!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top