JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some of the reviews stated that rude treatment did not always occur so I am willing to check and see if that is true. If not it is no skin off my nose and I will know that my decision not to go back is 100% correct, beside it is only 10 minutes from my house. I believe everyone or business deserves a second chance.

truth is they have never treated me right but have only been there once. There have been a few times when I was thankful that I had been given a second chance I was just having a bad day that day.

Some of the reviews stated that rude treatment did not always occur so I am willing to check and see if that is true. If not it is no skin off my nose and I will know that my decision not to go back is 100% correct, beside it is only 10 minutes from my house. I believe everyone or business deserves a second chance.

Seems reasonable to me. Actually, I like your style. Giving even a asshat like that a second chance shows that you are a person of good character in my book.

I agree about Ole's. Nice, friendly, intelligent gun people. His gunsmith does excellent work, but it is priced accordingly.

I went into gun crafters today to have my rifle checked I believed I had a bullet jacket stuck in the barrel but was not sure. I had a bit of trouble with some ammunition or the rifle but was not sure of the culprit. I had informed the manufacture of the ammunition and was told to take the gun in and have it checked. Upon entering the store it was well organized, stocked and clean. several people were chatting so I proceeded up to the counter with my rifle that is when the fun began the individual behind the counter ask what I needed and I proceeded to tell him that I thought I may have a bullet jacket in the barrel, he shined the light down the barrel and ask me if it was blocked I informed him that I had remove the lead and Teflon tip from the barrel but thought the jacket might still be in there. While describing what had occurred at the time that the jam had occurred I did not follow the exact procedure that the person behind the counter though I should have and I understood that his procedure would have been a better way to handle what I had done. as I tried to get back on course and get the barrel checked the person behind the counter proceeded to belittle me in front of my wife while not even attempting to check the rifle out after about 3 to 4 minutes of this I took my rifle and left the shop. I went to another gun dealer who did not have a gunsmith on the premises’ and ask if they knew of any other gun smiths in the area and Ole's was recommended. I was told a lot of customers come to them looking for a gunsmith or gun dealer because they have no intention of ever going back to Guncrafters of Salem. this was my first visit to Guncrafters of Salem so in a couple of weeks I may go back and see if their attitude towards the customers is the same but at this point I will only be going back one more time if they show the same type of arrogance that they displayed on my last visit. By the way I would highly recommend Ole’s to anyone who is looking for a good gunsmith and an friendly environment to do business they looked at my rifle gave it a clean bill of health and while I was talking to the gunsmith the other person behind the counter was nice enough to show my wife several handguns and we are thinking about a purchase from them in the near future.
I visited there when I bought a car from Oregon State Surplus once. It's just another trailer park masquerading as a gun store. Doug Raaf isn't a very good person in my opinion, and one of those specific "types" that need to be weeded out. Hopefully as gun ownership becomes more and more main stream places like this will go away.

I'd say a major difference Madderg between your experience and many of ours is that you've dealt with them 20 yrs. Many of us have dealt with him for 20 minutes and get treated as though he wished we never came in the store at all. Glad you have a gun store you like, I'll never set foot in there again and no, I have no affiliation with any "rival shop with an axe to grind"

I guess my point is Im unwilling to wait years and thousands of dollars to be treated cordially by someone who is allegedly on the service business and the same goes for many others on here

My son's Marlin Model 60 was having some issues. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it myself so I went down there to ask if Doug would be willing to try and fix it for me because I didn't know of any other gunsmiths in the area. When I started asking him about it he told me it was a junk firearm and it would cost more to fix than buy a new one. I explained that it was his first rifle and had sentimental value and he still said I was wasting my time with garbage. When pressed for a price he told me he wouldn't even look at it as he doesn't like the internal design. How is this joker still in business?

I ended up doing some more research and it was a very simple fix that I had overlooked in the first place.

I visited gun crafters a few days ago. I didn't read any posts about them, so I wouldn't have a bias opinion. I called them, don't remember who I talked to, I was asking about dillon 650 parts and accessories. I asked if he could tell me what was in stock for that press, he told me there was too much to list and that I would have to come down because he has a good stock of dillon accessories. So I drove down, couldn't wait for a local dealer to restock, and I was disappointed with his stock of dillon parts. He doesn't even sell 650 accessories. I wasn't mad or anything, but I wish he could of told me over the phone that he doesn't sell 650 parts. It's as if he didn't even hear my questions. Any rate, their customer service was not good either, but who's is. Maybe one or two shops and that's about it. It would never stop me from going back again, it's what I expect anymore. On a good note, I did find some Winchester srp for 31.00. I didn't think that price was too bad. I picked up 3k of them, he still had a 5k of them left.

First time in store was in the old north location by keizer
And went to the new location bigger place.... But still the same over priced, over cocky, over weight JERK!!!!!

I'm new to Guncrafters and guns in general. I initially spoke with Ron and he told me NOT to purchase a pistol until I had tried a couple and gave me some tips on what to look for as a woman. He did not even attempt to sell me anything. I've gone back several times since purchasing my pistol and they are ALWAYS helpful and informative. I find Doug to be very personable and knowledgeable. These posts bother him and hurt his business. It's too bad that the majority of people who speak out only do so after a negative experience. If you're looking for warm and fuzzy, then buy some slippers. If you're looking for good information, no-nonsense and straight to the point, then visit Guncrafters!!

Glad you had a good experience. I have had 2 bad ones, my wife had a terrible one, and as a general rule I don't know anyone that likes the place. I'm glad it's not terrible 100% of the time. I do however believe your experience is the exception not the rule

I've been going into Gun Crafters as far back as the early 90s. I've gone in for some minor ticky tacky crap and have been treated well. About a month ago in the current shop, I walked in saw a new Sig in the case, asked Doug if he would take $50 off and he did. I was out in 20 minutes, paper work complete, background clear, and gun in hand. Almost 18 years of being a tire kicker in a sense and my first gun purchased from Doug went off without a hitch and I am happy.

Last Edited:
I was calling around looking for a 7mm mag savage, I called guncrafters and all I got from the man who answered the phone was, I was going to have to come in and take a look. I asked again do you have any 7mm mags at all and again I got the reply, "I got a lot of guns but you'll have to come in and see what I got." The first and last time I will ever give guncrafters my time of day unless it is to tell people to not do business with them.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top