JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would assume FFL's deal with this every now and then I have Winchester 22's that don't have serial numbers on them many less expensive guns didn't back in the day. If you want to know how they list it in their book call one up and ask.

Pre 1968 firearms may not always have a serial number on it. BUT....still might be subject to most laws as a, "modern firearm."

But, if it was manufactured prior to 1898, it's considered to be an, "antique."

C & R firearms.....mostly antique. But, the category also includes some rare modern firearms (the Feds have a list). So, although considered as a C & R........they might also be in fact, "modern firearms."

As always.......local firearms laws may vary.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
BTW......I can remember seeing a modern firearm with what appeared to be a home stamped serial number. NO.....it wasn't an 80% build.

Possibly done by the local PD. Registration or possibly a firearm with restored ser# number?

Anyway, I don't know if the story was true......but the guy said that the local law required it, for those "modern" firearms that were not marked with a serial number.

Yes, it sucks. But I guess it's either that or worst.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
The FFL explained it is a "background check" on the buyer, not a "gun registration".:rolleyes: I wonder how many people will get notices from the state if they pass any of these,

HB 1134. No activity (yet).
Washington State Legislature

SB 5050. No activity (yet).

SB 5444. Scheduled for a public hearing on January 15 at 1000am PT.
Also scheduled for Monday is:
Committee Meeting Documents

SB 5992 - Trigger Ban

SB 6049 - Magazine Ban

SB 5463 - Firearm Storage

and one of the most important....

SB 6146 - Eliminating State Preemption

From ATF form 4473 instructions, "Should you acquire a firearm that is legally not marked with a serial number (i.e. pre-1968); you may answer question 26 with "NSN" (No Serial Number), "N/A" or "None"."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top