JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I don't have any personal experience with their vault doors or creating a safe room, I do have one of their safes that you can assemble/disassemble that is a great safe with ratings that exceed many other safes for it's price point and even those above it (bonus, no need to bother friends to carry to upstairs location). SnapSafe is a Hornady company.

Check with the local safe and alarm companies, and any local
companies that demolish buildings and sell the materials.
Picked up a Diebold class A security/2 hr fire rated records vault
door (weighs about 700 lbs) cheap.

Check with the local safe and alarm companies, and any local
companies that demolish buildings and sell the materials.
Picked up a Diebold class A security/2 hr fire rated records vault
door (weighs about 700 lbs) cheap.
This is how my grandfather gets a lot of turn of the century (1900s) Redwood for carpentry. Most of the time they just give it to him.

I have helped build a couple of gun rooms with vault doors. One uses a door from Sturdy Safes, it was well made. another used a damaged gun safe that he cut away the back of the safe. He used only the door and frame. Watch for Scratch and dent sales or used safes that have the right size door. the safe door he used has him stepping over a curb and still ducking his head as he passes through the door. but his cost was only a couple hundred bucks. DR

With these vault doors, is there a way of getting out if someone closes the door on you accidentally? Last thing you'd want to do is build a Faraday cage where even a cell phone can't call for help.

For what it's worth, years ago when researching safes I came to the conclusion that SturdySafe was among the strongest with tons of options to the consumer (I just didn't want to deal with getting this type of safe upstairs). Some options listed at this link:

Looks like the Homeland vault door may be 10 gauge (right at 1/8"). The SturdySafe vault doors I think start at 3/8" and then you can add options to increase thickness and stainless steel (to add to torch resistance).

Besides the ability to open from the inside, I would recommend some sort of facade to hide the vault door. A vault door visible to anybody passing by it just advertises the fact that you have something inside worth the risk to try to break into.

The Snapsafe that was suggested does have a handle on the inside that locks and unlocks the door. This would be nice I'm thinking even in terms of personal protection.
The Snapsafe had a single bolt that you could close from the inside from what I saw in the videos. I didn't see where you could actuate all the bolts in the safe.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top