JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
..............safe deposit box at the bank.

When they come to take our guns (Ya right......)

Would it be good to have one in the bank safe deposit box that is off the books (IE FTF purchase) I know that is a different debate.

It's not illegal, and I know from working in a bank, that tons of people store their handguns there.

I used to work at US Bank and I took people into the vault that were there to store pistols. I asked a couple why they did it at the time, and they were worried about them being banned or confiscated. I was a kid at the time, so I didn't get into the "Why would they do that" conversation.

I know, I know................The bank employees aren't supposed to know what goes in the box. The customers told me what they were putting in there and why.
Do you guys think its a good idea?

The banks will most likely not be open to access it if TSHTF.

I do keep one gun in a bank safe deposit box...two actually. They were both left to me by my grandfather. One is a near mint condition WWII Luger and the other is a MIB Colt nickle plated w/ivory grips SAA made in 1939 that is still in the original custom made presentation box.

I think there are a lot of unseeable problems with a bank holding property that is not insured by the fdic. Ha, I even have a problem with the bank holding the green stuff that is insured by the fdic but I do that anyway. What if bank policy changed today? We no longer allow guns in our facilities. I bet if you call them they'll tell you that they don't allow guns in the bank. Only now, they start checking. Tell me they can't change the rules at will. I don't have to worry about having anything rare or of value, but if I did I think I would invest in a better safe. I'm not one to trust a business who's owner I cannot meet with and measure.
You can buy secondary insurance for safe deposit boxes.

Why not just keep your gun and gold somewhere you know you can get it when you need it?

If the SHTF I don't want to have to go to the bank to get my stuff, I want it NOW.

fiscal interest? Hah, the government will OWN most banks the way things are headed now. And who SAYS they can't/won't change the rules? Local credit union, MAYBE. No, find a safe place accessible all the time. Besides, how can yo be certain you will always have access to the bankbox? What if they steal your account funds and you can't replace them soon enough to keep them from the mandated closure of your now-upside down account? They then hold hostage the contents of your box. I've had this happen. I'll never use one again. They arbitrarily pulled the line of credit for a credit card, then used funds on deposit (held there to make my next morgage payment, due in another week) to zero the card account....... I couldn't get my mitts on a grand before the five working day limit to be overdrawn, closed the deposit account as well. Now, no safe deposit box access, as I "owed" them money on the overdraft. The one THEY arbitrarily and unilaterally created. No, they think they are the emporer, never mind they've got no clothes. And that was fifteen years ago.

Permanent end of any relationship with Bank of Amerika, too.... I'll NEVER trade with them again.

I'd rather properly package the guns and ammo and silver and coins and _______, and bury it in my backyard, or under the house. Worst case, even if I'm evicted for mortgage default, I can still sneak onto the place sometime and dig it up......

My grandmother and grandfather told me that during the depression, the government froze all assets, including safe deposit boxes, demanded all precious metals be turned in and many other atrocities. I'm not trusting BO to be any different if we get there. I think you'd be better off burying one someplace, not the backyard, but someplace.

"Possession is nine points of the law." Of course that's not really the law, but it's certainly the logical rule of force, dominion and control, and it's been said for ages for good reason.

If it's in a safe deposit box, I don't have possession.

$.02

My grandmother and grandfather told me that during the depression, the government froze all assets, including safe deposit boxes, demanded all precious metals be turned in and many other atrocities. I'm not trusting BO to be any different if we get there. I think you'd be better off burying one someplace, not the backyard, but someplace.

You can bury one also.

If conditions are ideal, I would prefer "withdrawing" my gun, ammo, and silver from a nice clean bank.
If it gets siezed, then I have to dig the other ones up.:s0114::s0114:

not in your backyard? (NIMBY.....heh heh)why? I suppose it has a lot to do with what sort of backyard one has. I've got a five acre piece in a rural area. I can put something somewhere here and NO ONE, not with dogs, metal detectors, warrants, could ever find it.. and yet I could. Might take me a while to get to it, but I've got a feeling that, in the sorts of scenario we are preparing against, I'd haev a fair bit of time on my hands.

Now, if I lived in the modern suburan house, 3K square feet on a postage stamp lot, it wouuld be another matter. I've sometimes wondered if city governments haven't been approving the building of such insane housing tracts for the express purpose of herding thoughtless masses into tight, easily controllable enclaves, ghettos, camps..... most only have one, maybe two, road outlets. And folks are all in a knot about internment camps out in the boonies? Looks to me like we've been buidling and buying them for twenty years. No, if I lived in one of those circuses I'd definitly NOT bury anything significant in the backyard. If it comes round to it, I'd be hard pressed to access it, and even if I did, how far would I get with a few hundred prying eyes connected to blabbering mouths? (yes, I've read of how things went in Europe 1930's, and in the SOviet Bloc nations in the late forties through the eighties. Think that can't happen here? I wonder betimes if this sort of scenario isn't precisely what we should be preparing against......

safe deposit boxes? They're only as safe as the man with the key wants them to be. And if I don't have the hey, it ain't safe for ME.

fiscal interest? Hah, the government will OWN most banks the way things are headed now. And who SAYS they can't/won't change the rules? Local credit union, MAYBE. No, find a safe place accessible all the time. Besides, how can yo be certain you will always have access to the bankbox? What if they steal your account funds and you can't replace them soon enough to keep them from the mandated closure of your now-upside down account? They then hold hostage the contents of your box. I've had this happen. I'll never use one again. They arbitrarily pulled the line of credit for a credit card, then used funds on deposit (held there to make my next morgage payment, due in another week) to zero the card account....... I couldn't get my mitts on a grand before the five working day limit to be overdrawn, closed the deposit account as well. Now, no safe deposit box access, as I "owed" them money on the overdraft. The one THEY arbitrarily and unilaterally created. No, they think they are the emporer, never mind they've got no clothes. And that was fifteen years ago.

Permanent end of any relationship with Bank of Amerika, too.... I'll NEVER trade with them again.

I'd rather properly package the guns and ammo and silver and coins and _______, and bury it in my backyard, or under the house. Worst case, even if I'm evicted for mortgage default, I can still sneak onto the place sometime and dig it up......

fiscal interest? Hah, the government will OWN most banks the way things are headed now. And ((((who SAYS they can't/won't change the rules?))))

They are not following the rules now , They are changing them more often then they do their underwear.... Look at Our rights,Health care , What they are doing to small Business's ...We have a President that is NOT a natural born citizen...

Who ever thinks they will follow the rules has their head stuck in their , Well the sand... They probably think this will all blow over and the government is going to fix it all and take care of us the way we expect or hope them to...

Life as we Know & Knew it is in for a big change , It's gonna be a ride...

and just HOW did we cone to this pretty pass? Too many lulled to sleep in our comfort, dozing away, numbed by that square box in the livingroom, swallowing all the "news" it spews..... lost our spine, as a nation, thats what.

Three or four lawsuits to FORCE the big o to come clean with his certificate and proof... not one judge with enough spine to press it. "you have no standing, case closed".

Bank and insurance company bailouts.. people beginning to mutter "foul ball", yet they press on. Not enough rise up and make a fuss. Elections come and go, the worst slate ascends the throne and takes the scepter of power. Hunhh?

government takes over private enterprise.. "they're to big to fail". Oh really? And the Titanic was too big to sink, right? Oh, and she was brand new into the bargain. "Not even God can sink THIS ship" her builder declared....... yeah, right. Twenty four hours later she lay under three thousand feet of seawater, twelve hundred of her precious cargo dead.

General Motors should have been allowed to eat the fruit of their own corrupt and spineless business decisions.

Mortgages also bought.....

now "healthcare" as we've known it, sick as it was, is headed to the ashheap of history.

he war president has been awarded a prize for "peace". OH? Is THIS what they call peace, now? Oh good..... we can now count on more of the same, then?

a national police force seems to be growing.... totally counter to the Constitution. Oh, but that's a LIVING document, remember? (is that why they're working so hard to kill it?)

enough... yes, they HAVE thrown out the rules...... time to throw THEM out, find that rulebook again, and put it back in its proper place. Nothing wrong with it if we just USE it.

Ever tried to make a Honda run right using a General Motors Truck workshop manual? Uhhh.. not so easy, and "results may vary". Why not get the Honda manual and use that, eh? What an idea.........

I also would not store guns or gold in a bank deposit box. Too much history, even recently, of state governments (lets forget what the Fed can do for a moment) seizing the contents of 'abandoned' deposit boxes, even though said boxes were current on their payments. Burial is probably the better option. Having antique weapons (like Finn model 39s as an example) or privately purchased firearms (with no paper trail back to you) can be useful in the event of confiscation.

Confiscation is scary, but the reason we have so many St. Gaudens gold pieces today is millions of people said 'screw you' to Roosevelt and hid theirs. Guns would be no different.

Keith

If SHTF, then your emergency weapon should be easily accessible, like your daily concealed carry weapon. And if i wanted to stash one, id put one in a lockbox under a floor board or crawspace,your vehicle... not all the way at the bank.
thats part of being prepared, having what you need on hand, not having to go somewhere to gather things when its too late...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top