JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm potentially in the market for a new gun dog and would appreciate hearing your experience with breeders/trainers. I have a bias toward Labrador retrievers or brittanys, but will consider others. Upland is the first priority, with waterfowl second. Actually family dog/companion is right up there in the priority mix. I also have a bias toward a Portland-area breeder/trainer (for the training), but would consider the right breeder from further afield, particularly if they provide finished dogs.

I thought I had seen a review of Minoggie Kennels on this site, but my searches aren't turning anything up. Can anyone speak to that breeder/trainer in particular?

Thanks

For an Upland and water dog, look at Versatile breeds like the GSP, Viszla, Brocco, etc. We got or GSP's from a breeder in southern Idaho. Quite the trip to go get pups, but well worth it. He raises quail and chukar on site, so the pups get worked with birds very early. I did my own training, so I cant advise on the trainer aspect. If you need some contacts for GSP's, I have a couple.

Last Edited:
We got an amazing chocolate pup from Windriver Labs. Almost 6 months now. Great temperament, not a crazy "meth lab" and very birdy.

"meth lab"..... :s0140:

These two (Dan & Millie) are total sweethearts and LOVE to "chase & retrieve!
A1225AAC-E7D9-40BA-AD02-6174F91C0CE2.jpeg

The problem is they're both gun shy, so no hunting for them! Millie (on the left) goes "psychotic" in a daily basis for a week prior to and a week after July 4th with all the fireworks everyone fires off during that time, trying to escape the fenced yard to "just run". We had a pretty loud thunderstorm with torrential downpours one night, and the wife found Millie in the backyard..... SOMEONE had a rough night!

DA587F0D-7EC0-4678-91CA-01F172856812.jpeg

My neighbor decided he's gonna be a duck hunter. Doesn't know much about hunting and less about any animals. Went out and bought the first silver lab pup he could find. Said he bought the most wild energetic pup they had cause he believes that makes a better hunting dog. Lol!!!! Intentionally bought a wild lab pup?! Lol!!!! Yea idiot!

I like the Brittany pointers as well. Same disposition as a GSP, but in a more compact size. Mine was naturally hunting and retrieving birds at just a few months old. There is one breeder in Veneta and another good one in Corvallis.

KeA6eT7.jpg

Very serious. There are a few people who love the silvers, charcoal, and other designer colors, but they are well known for having lots of health issues. There's a reason they aren't recognized, and you dont see them in trials, or in the field much.

I'm potentially in the market for a new gun dog and would appreciate hearing your experience with breeders/trainers. I have a bias toward Labrador retrievers or brittanys, but will consider others. Upland is the first priority, with waterfowl second. Actually family dog/companion is right up there in the priority mix. I also have a bias toward a Portland-area breeder/trainer (for the training), but would consider the right breeder from further afield, particularly if they provide finished dogs.

I thought I had seen a review of Minoggie Kennels on this site, but my searches aren't turning anything up. Can anyone speak to that breeder/trainer in particular?

Thanks
Generally, Labs have a poor nose (not always, but generally).
Brittany's are too "yappy".
Get yourself a German Shorthair, a little heavy on the bloodhound, if possible.
Dog has a great disposition and one of the best noses on the planet.
They're instinctive hunters so all the training you'll need to do is to teach them to fetch.
Sometimes they get a little rangy, but their breeding helps keep them in, so training usually comes pretty easy.
Good dog. Wish I had one again.

Dean

Generally, Labs have a poor nose (not always, but generally).
Brittany's are too "yappy".
Get yourself a German Shorthair, a little heavy on the bloodhound, if possible.
Dog has a great disposition and one of the best noses on the planet.
They're instinctive hunters so all the training you'll need to do is to teach them to fetch.
Sometimes they get a little rangy, but their breeding helps keep them in, so training usually comes pretty easy.
Good dog. Wish I had one again.

Dean
Rangy is a understatement! Lol!!
I've had one. Had a Weimaraner. Had a wire hair. They all seem to range.
I hear vizlas stay close.
Labs are nuts.

There is a lab breeder on S. New Era Rd about 8 miles south of Oregon City
I go by the sign all the time I'll look up the name and edit.Looks like a nice FARM.

Take some back turns out it is a retriever Kennel.All breed kennel.Gun dog training,Field training. I would call them and ask questions.

Carlgren Kennels.com 503 650 0023. Good luck it's important to start out with a lot of info, that dog will be part of the family for good years to come.

Last Edited:
Rangy is a understatement! Lol!!
I've had one. Had a Weimaraner. Had a wire hair. They all seem to range.
I hear vizlas stay close.
Labs are nuts.
The shorthair I grew up with was a good close hunter.
For a shot time, he seemed to get carried away with chasing the bird, but that only seemed to happen at one location and not until we got the other dog (a Weimaraner, btw).
He got over it soon enough.

Thanks
I expect this may start the bubble gum storm, apologies in advance.

We have a chocolate/meth lab, what I was pushing for was a pudelpointer. Some great breeders in the area you could reach out to.

1449509550.jpg

Welcome to High Life Pudelpointers | High Life Pudelpointers in Redmond

Breed info - Pudelpointer Dog Breed Information - American Kennel Club

I like their rules for breeding and keeping the stock good.

What is a Chocolate Meth lab?

Got to be more to it. We love our dogs, had a Canadian Field Trial Champion
English/GSH he would go out for a "run" and clear 600ac. Of whatever.
A true athlete. Hard wired bird dog. The Best Buy far.
I told him to stay close and he ran away 1/4 mi up the trail, when I got to him on the trail he was barking up a tree. 5 grouse flew out when I got there.
I missed them, he came back to the tree and he figured there would/ might be more. He always came back to the birds area to look for more.
Loved that Hunter.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top