JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi There,

I want to convert Anti-2A/Fence sitters and am considering buying or building a .22LR. I also love high end "buy once/cry one" stuff. Is a built 10/22 noticeably better than say a Ruger bolt action or semi auto? If it is, what is your dream parts list for a build?

Dream build?

Vudoo single shot in an MDT Chassis with a TriggerTech Diamond and Razor Gen II. :D

Oh, you want the 10/22 dream build?

The 10/22 trigger is, IMO, junk. I've used a Ruger BX trigger, Kidd internals swap, and Kidd two stage. I'd gladly take the rebuilt trigger with Kidd internals over a BX and the Kidd Two-Stage puts them both to shame...but they're all better than stock and comprise different price points to fit your budget.

The stock 10/22 receiver and bolt are not polished real well - the machine tooling marks are there and deeeeeeep. There are more than a few companies who will sell you the whole receiver or just components in them, and they will be finished quite well...but is it worth it? Might be to you, maybe not others.

Finally, there's the barrel. Again, many different options here based on your needs or wants from target barrels down to lightweight rigs. (Green Mountain, Volquartsen, Kidd, etc. etc.)

Just for some examples, here's a 10/22 (older image, gun has since been painted) that I am putting together for speed steel:

IMG_7704.jpg

The above is a stock 10/22 receiver polished up by yours truly and modified slightly: heavier recoil spring, heavier bolt handle, nylon bolt buffer, Kidd trigger internals, Pike trigger housing...all sitting in a PMACA chassis using a Kidd lightweight barrel. This tips the scales at just under 5lbs.

And here's the more accuracy oriented 10/22:

60574335322__6A44460D-254C-42D2-86E7-F7725533ECD2.JPG

The above is a full Kidd rifle - their receiver, trigger group, bull barrel, and sitting in a Victor Titan stock. I haven't weighed it - it's a goddamn ton compared to it's brother above, though.

I had the pleasure of getting some friends into shooting before a lot of the 2020 crazy and these were the two weapons that I started them with. Specifically started them with the target 10/22 because it's really, really easy to hit a can at 50 yards with it and once you get someone to do that once, they like it ;). When some ego is built up, we then move onto the lighter 10/22 for some target transition / speed steel style shooting which then feeds well into handgun shooting.

My dream build for a stupidly accurate .22LR is a vudoo - but I would never use that to start someone new to shooting. Semi's are the way to go for that.

Realistically, though, if you just need a .22LR to get a new shooter into the game, then just go buy a decent stock 10/22 and call it a day. If you want Gucci, that's all for you...not your new shooter convert. Your wife is going to see straight through that one so I suggest you get a better excuse to drop $$$ on a .22LR :D

Dream build...?
The issue with "dream build" firearms is that one man's dream can be another man's nightmare....:eek: :D

If I were to have a .22LR rifle for teaching or introducing folks to shooting it would be a vintage
Remington 510 or 511.
If it were to be a new firearm....I'd choose one of the CZ 455 series.

The idea with the above is to start "simple" and master the basics of safe , accurate shooting.
As well as the understanding that one can indeed shoot accurately without a lot of gadgets or "upgrades" on their rifle.
Andy

10/22 buy a Kidd and be done with it, bolt gun buy a Tikka They shoot great out of the box and with a custom barrel and chassis they will run with the best of them.

When I was a kid, Gucci and Pierre Cardin started putting their name on T shirts, and people started lapping them up like hogs at the trough. To me, the joke was on the people, rich and poor alike. However, it didn't convert any "fence sitters" over to wearing fashion labels. Those who purchased were already of that mindset.
Build a "dream 10/22" and you'll most likely look like another mall ninja.
Taking "non-gun people" out shooting, the 22 never did get anyone excited. I would liken it to pecking at an old IBM Selectric keyboard.
The stuff that got people excited and huge smiles were the 1911 and CZ75, making plates ring with the AR, and hearing and watching the gong swing at 300 and beyond with the big gun. Later, when they saw the holes they made in the gong (aluminum SCBA tanks), they were amazed.
One person could see their heartbeat in the reticle, and commented, "wow, I have seen this so many times in the microscope I've been looking through all these years."

I guess it depends on what you want. I am 22 poor they are fun to shoot and I used to shoot a lot of 22 LR back when they were cheap to buy ammo for before things starting getting insane after Sandy Hook. Back in 2003 I went the buy once cry once route for my dream gun a Cooper Arms 22 bolt action.

It is not a bench est gun but it shoots like one , I have yet to find an accurized 10/22 that will shoot with it . If bolt gun's aren't your jam then get what ever semi auto makes you happy.

I put together a gucci AR15 in .22LR for introducing new shooters to ARs, and for my training on the cheap purposes, but I think the sweet spot for new shooters may be .223. I took a new shooter out and by far his favorite was the .223 AR - he happily mag-dumped that but not my 22s or my 9mm pistol.

I think it's cause .223 feels way more powerful and since it's in a rifle that's controllable and easy to shoot, maybe it hits that sweet spot of power/fun. He did not like the 9mm recoil and only put one round through a 1911 in .45 before saying no to that.

But to answer the original question, I think a stock 10/22 is more than enough to intro, and then move them onto other calibers if they are interested. But, if you only want to have one 10/22, then just build it up and use it for both purposes, to introduce people and be your gucci .22. A built 10/22 is likely noticably better than a stock one for someone using it often and assuming you want a higher precision standard, but to a new shooter a built one will be the same as a stock one. I don't know anything about building a dream 10/22 so I will leave that to others.

Your wife is going to see straight through that one so I suggest you get a better excuse to drop $$$ on a .22LR :D

Dang it man, you said the quiet part out loud!!! Lol

Jokes aside, I will either get a Tikka, Kidd, or a Ruger 10/22 and maybe swap out the trigger. I already own a pretty decked out AR that shoots soft, and if they can't handle the noise, I'll have a non decked out rimfire rifle handy.

Though my rifle is Gucci'd out, that Anschutz costs way more than it ... and it's a Knights at that

Last Edited:
I dream of a .22 that feeds, fires and ejects any bulk or premium ammo I can find and doesn't get a leaded barrel. Oh and I'll paint it hot pink because..... "Gucci"

I have more than my fair share of liberal/left/anti- converts. What's worked for me is having a variety of .22s to shoot. I'll break out the variety pack, let them pick what they want to shoot and walk them through each platform: Colt SAA and Ruger 3 screw Single Six, 1911 w/22 kit, Sig P series with 22 conversion, old Hi Standard Sport King. In my experience, lots of antis will pick up the beautiful case hardened colt SAA first, then they'll get a kick out of it and want to turn to a "naughty" looking black gun like a GSG-5 or souped up 10/22, etc. They never reach for my Anschutz Mannlicher, and that's fine by me :)

All that to say: buy a bunch of .22s and don't look back! New folks don't know what's what.

Tikka's spiffy but cheap[ish] .22 - has the feel of the centre-fire without the cost. HUGELY popular hereabouts, and my pal in the gun store tells me there is a waiting list on the next twenty, and into the next twenty after that.

I've tried one out for size and it's a cracker, for sure. Darn thing had a S&B PM2 on it as well!!

Dream build?

Vudoo single shot in an MDT Chassis with a TriggerTech Diamond and Razor Gen II. :D

Oh, you want the 10/22 dream build?

The 10/22 trigger is, IMO, junk. I've used a Ruger BX trigger, Kidd internals swap, and Kidd two stage. I'd gladly take the rebuilt trigger with Kidd internals over a BX and the Kidd Two-Stage puts them both to shame...but they're all better than stock and comprise different price points to fit your budget.

I find the KIDD triggers to be exactly what I want when assembling a 10/22 clone, myself. When I can get a trigger pull in "ounces" rather than pounds, I kinda like that:

kb7aO36l.jpg

I prefer Tony's barrels also:

3hGrqcNl.jpg

Just put a Ciener Kit in an M-4 and let them kill a few tin cans.:)

Then take it out, put the BCG back in and let them do a mag dump.:p

That will light up their interest.:D

Last Edited:
I put together a gucci AR15 in .22LR for introducing new shooters to ARs, and for my training on the cheap purposes, but I think the sweet spot for new shooters may be .223. I took a new shooter out and by far his favorite was the .223 AR - he happily mag-dumped that but not my 22s or my 9mm pistol.

I think it's cause .223 feels way more powerful and since it's in a rifle that's controllable and easy to shoot, maybe it hits that sweet spot of power/fun. He did not like the 9mm recoil and only put one round through a 1911 in .45 before saying no to that.

But to answer the original question, I think a stock 10/22 is more than enough to intro, and then move them onto other calibers if they are interested. But, if you only want to have one 10/22, then just build it up and use it for both purposes, to introduce people and be your gucci .22. A built 10/22 is likely noticably better than a stock one for someone using it often and assuming you want a higher precision standard, but to a new shooter a built one will be the same as a stock one. I don't know anything about building a dream 10/22 so I will leave that to others.
An SBR in HERA CQR stock with a dedicated CMG .22 set up with suppressor? Plus I have 3 uppers with identical stocks, rails and foregrips and setup. My daughters LOVE it. It is actually a ton of fun and quiet. the 4.5 inch barrel under the handguard makes sure every 22lr you throw at it is a sub. And the sig suppressor just peeks out past the end.