JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
re: "4000 Harley Sportster, hangs $300 worth of chrome on it and now it's a $10,000 "Cruiser"
don't mean to quibble here, the flaw in the argument rears large, in that in Harley-speak, a 'Sportster' has certain design basics of considerable difference from 'Cruiser'.
Not to mention few Harley chrome pieces sell for under $300....
also have to admit there are few $4000 Sporters that are readily converted to actual "Cruiser" by chrome alone.
Only if you add the oh so important chrome catch pan to go under them.......

15B1E1D5-521B-414E-A49E-C28C2C12FA94.gif

Prime example is stippling and duracoating. Just cause you soak a few hundred into letting someone solder iron your frame or bake some funky powder coat on doesnt make it custom or desirable. Even worse are the home done stippling which ruins a pistols value to me even worse than supposed professional jobs.
I've "custom" stippled a couple of my handguns with plastic grips and frames without a blink by the people who bought them from me. I think as long as the stippler used good sense and didn't over do the job, it may not even be noticed. The only tool I had was a cheap wood burning outfit with several different tips to chose from. I masked off the areas I wanted to stipple and then used care as I did so. Sure increased the grippy-ness and reduced the amount of flip when I fired the guns, which helped with group sizes.
I haven't done it to my S&W M&P Shield as that gun fits my hand to a T. :D
I forgot to mention the first was a Ruger SR9C and the second was a Glock 26. It improved both pistols.

Indulge me a moment, and forgive me for somewhat of a thread hijack. I will introduce my avatar, a pistol I built. After I radiused, deburred, and polished it all, then having Turnbull color case harden the frame. I bought a 7 1/2" .357 maximum barrel and had it modified and fit to the 1968 Blackhawk by gallagherfirearms.com , they also did the trigger job. I welded and re-machined the cylinder to tighten up the end shake, as well as cutting the front cyl. chamfer. I fit an over-sized base pin, and refinished the grips. Then Gallagher did the bluing, sent me all the parts and I reassembled it. Can I please call this a "custom gun" ?

View attachment 838297
I would say so, for sure!
Gabby

Indulge me a moment, and forgive me for somewhat of a thread hijack. I will introduce my avatar, a pistol I built. After I radiused, deburred, and polished it all, then having Turnbull color case harden the frame. I bought a 7 1/2" .357 maximum barrel and had it modified and fit to the 1968 Blackhawk by gallagherfirearms.com , they also did the trigger job. I welded and re-machined the cylinder to tighten up the end shake, as well as cutting the front cyl. chamfer. I fit an over-sized base pin, and refinished the grips. Then Gallagher did the bluing, sent me all the parts and I reassembled it. Can I please call this a "custom gun" ?

View attachment 838297
No. You didn't stipple it.

Just like the guy that buys a $4000 Harley Sportster, hangs $300 worth of chrome on it and now it's a $10,000 "Cruiser"
that's called 'marketing'
You all realize that's what Detroit does with pickups, adding leather seats, a sound package, gold trim, lift kit and oversized wheels - that'll be $50K more, thank you very much....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top