JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm a big ole bubblegum...5'8 (can i cuss here?) and really feel more comfy with a double-stack, personally. I'd love to see your builds... I'm certainly not there. Just started collecting/shooting about a year ago. What a wonderful and loving tribute to your Grandad. Respect for his service. ♡
He passed in '89, but the thought is very much appreciated--I wouldn't be the man I am today without his bootprints on my butt. Funny thing, I'm a short guy but I'm HUGE for my height... more like a six-footer that somebody hacked six inches out of the limbs.

As for builds, here's the threads so you can follow along through the entire plan-build process...
Original rifle based on NWFA Site Logo bare lower - Build Thread - Diamondback's AR build (planning/construction)
"Project Gremlin" (discreet-carry PDW based on Mk 18 CQB carbine) - Build Thread - Help me plan an AR pistol build?
His & Hers service-rifle clones, if I can ever clear some of the legal issues since the GF is a Canadian citizen - Build Thread - Planning an M4gery, need advice
This last hasn't been updated in a while, though my spreadsheet on it gets a review-and-revise every month--between WA Alien Firearms License and State Dept. ITAR, there's gonna have to be a whole lot of lawyer work before parts get ordered, and she's going to have to start spending more time here before things go forward even if the Ambulance Chasers greenlight.

And a two-parter I wrote for my weekly column at RedState about 80% receiver blanks... a cordless drill, a steady hand and a good vise and you can actually knock one out in about a week's worth of lunch-hours. :)
Watercooler 5/17 Open Thread: The Lunch-Hour Lower
Watercooler 5/24 Open Thread: The Lunch-Hour Lower: Lessons Learned

He passed in '89, but the thought is very much appreciated--I wouldn't be the man I am today without his bootprints on my butt. Funny thing, I'm a short guy but I'm HUGE for my height... more like a six-footer that somebody hacked six inches out of the limbs.

As for builds, here's the threads so you can follow along through the entire plan-build process...
Original rifle based on NWFA Site Logo bare lower - Build Thread - Diamondback's AR build (planning/construction)
"Project Gremlin" (discreet-carry PDW based on Mk 18 CQB carbine) - Build Thread - Help me plan an AR pistol build?
His & Hers service-rifle clones, if I can ever clear some of the legal issues since the GF is a Canadian citizen - Build Thread - Planning an M4gery, need advice
This last hasn't been updated in a while, though my spreadsheet on it gets a review-and-revise every month--between WA Alien Firearms License and State Dept. ITAR, there's gonna have to be a whole lot of lawyer work before parts get ordered, and she's going to have to start spending more time here before things go forward even if the Ambulance Chasers greenlight.

And a two-parter I wrote for my weekly column at RedState about 80% receiver blanks... a cordless drill, a steady hand and a good vise and you can actually knock one out in about a week's worth of lunch-hours. :)
Totally killer. You made my night, brother! :D

Beware of Geeks Bearing Gifts... if you choose to join us who've taken the dive down the rabbit hole, you may not be able to find your way back up again. :) It's an expensive way to do things... but it gives you control over parts selection, quality and workmanship you don't get from off-the-rack or catalog-order.

:s0101:

Thanks, I figured it'd be a good idea to share something trying to walk through the process all the way from first deciding what's important through parts selection and into assembly. :)

Eden, you'll also want to pick up a copy of Patrick Sweeney's Gunsmithing the AR15: The Bench Manual if you get into building--what a Chilton or Haynes Guide is for your car, this is for your AR; lots of insider tricks forged by a lifetime's gunsmithing experience.

Oh, one other important piece of advice: Never, EVER, pay full MSRP! Find a few shops you like and sign up for their newsletters, and occasionally check out Site Supporting Vendor Gun.Deals' latest news. :) (The GF has cracked wise about me out-powershopping her at times on these things...)

Last Edited:
Have you seen the STI 2011? WANT the DVC Tactical. What a gorgeous firearm. ;)

Welcome from the free state of Colorado! Here is a special brand of gun nuts ( mostly harmless) and we share a serious addiction for which there is no cure! I see you are into the STI, DVI 2011 series, I have built 9 of them so far ( two for my son's, Matching pair) and they are addictive. My carry piece is ether a Gov. profile STI double stack 10 mm, or a 6 in Long Slide double stack also 10 mm! Once you go STI 2011 series 1911, you cannot ever look at another pistol! Nice to see a Lady with such fine taste in firearms!
If you ever need advice or have any questions on 2011 series, or standard 1911's I and several others would be more then willing to help you with all:) If you were to ever venture down the build road ( which is how you afford an STI) you can ask away!
We have a few outstanding Gun Smiths and supporting vendors here to make it super easy to go this route!
ba223f97bdf28a5e879fe1fe5468a6f8.jpg

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wolfesweapons.com%2Fgallery%2Fsti2011c.jpg

Welcome from the free state of Colorado! Here is a special brand of gun nuts ( mostly harmless) and we share a serious addiction for which there is no cure! I see you are into the STI, DVI 2011 series, I have built 9 of them so far ( two for my son's, Matching pair) and they are addictive. My carry piece is ether a Gov. profile STI double stack 10 mm, or a 6 in Long Slide double stack also 10 mm! Once you go STI 2011 series 1911, you cannot ever look at another pistol! Nice to see a Lady with such fine taste in firearms!
If you ever need advice or have any questions on 2011 series, or standard 1911's I and several others would be more then willing to help you with all:) If you were to ever venture down the build road ( which is how you afford an STI) you can ask away!
We have a few outstanding Gun Smiths and supporting vendors here to make it super easy to go this route!
View attachment 385435

View attachment 385436
You rock! Those are gorgeous! So pleased to meet you and much obliged! I truly appreciate the help, kindness and info. :)

Someday I'm thinking to have a 1911 finished like a WWII P-40: Olive Drab slide top and sides, Medium Gray frame and slide below front radiusing, and a sharkmouth in the radius. Tempted to make the top two-tone green/tan and add a "Hell's Angel" like the Flying Tigers' 2nd Pursuit... (I did say "history dork," didn't I? :D )

Someday I'm thinking to have a 1911 finished like a WWII P-40: Olive Drab slide top and sides, Medium Gray frame and slide below front radiusing, and a sharkmouth in the radius. Tempted to make the top two-tone green/tan and add a "Hell's Angel" like the Flying Tigers' 2nd Pursuit... (I did say "history dork," didn't I? :D )
Killer! Ha ha. Coolest "history dork" EVAR!!!

Killer! Ha ha. Coolest "history dork" EVAR!!!
The reason it suck is not the subject, but the people who teach it... dull, pedantic pedagogues who come off marginally more lively than the long-dead people they drone on about. MY idea of Vietnam History class: "Fire an M16 , and an AK, then write an essay comparing and contrasting the two weapons and their doctrines of use"--I even have a few smith friends working on figuring out how to rig an AR as a jamomatic "M16 Malfunction Simulator"... the goal would be to replicate all the tear-your-hair-out frustration of the Grunt Experience with none of the danger. (Well, other than the bad-tasting field rations, anyway...)

I did say "history dork," didn't I?
Um.................Yea! Your our special DORK, any one that can gunsmith in the bathroom is awesome in my book!:p
I like the idea of the P-40 build, Why not have the slide ENGRAVED with the Shark Nose at the muzzle end, and have the Pursuit Squadron emblem engraved on the left side and do the serial number like they did on the planes tail I.E. 39-14077!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top