JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heck, now days in Washington, I don't need a tag for deer/elk. I'll just jump in the flatbed 67 chev and make a road trip. Bound to have one jump out and commit themselves to my bumper :D

I believe very strongly that if you have kids in the house that the guns should stay locked up...regardless of how good the kid is. How many times have we all heard a parent lamenting after a shooting incident or a suicide that they didn't think their kid would ever do something like that or that they didn't realize their kid was in distress enough to take their own life?

The amount of pressure on today's kids is incredibly high. And they can go from being ok to not, incredibly quickly. You may not have time to see the signs. And even really good kids can be tempted by peer pressure. The kid's buddy who says, "come on, just show us your dad's gun." Or the kid who is showing off to his new girlfriend. Or just if your kid ever has friends over who may think it's fun to go snooping through your house while your kid is in the bathroom or something. Or any of a dozen of other scenarios.

Not to mention, of course, how much it would suck to come home and be shot by your own gun that the thief found in the nightstand or in that oh so top secret hiding place that "nobody would ever think of looking." :rolleyes: With so many good quick access lock boxes there is no reason not to keep your weapons secured.

Another reason to keep your kid off social media and the internet in general!
No smart phones!

Of course by the time my kids get old enough to have them who knows what will be out there.

I was really wanting to start spending some money on another firearm and ammo, but my next couple purchases will be a couple quick access safes. One for down stairs and an AR shotlock for the master closet.

Man kids make things complicated.

Another reason to keep your kid off social media and the internet in general!
No smart phones!

Of course by the time my kids get old enough to have them who knows what will be out there.

I was really wanting to start spending some money on another firearm and ammo, but my next couple purchases will be a couple quick access safes. One for down stairs and an AR shotlock for the master closet.

Man kids make things complicated.
StackOn makes a series of wall safes that are inexpensive and very secure. (they're California DOJ approved, if that means anything...). They come in a variety of sizes that will hold anything from pistols to rifles. They mount flush in the wall between to studs and are secured to the studs with lag bolts. Not everyone has the space or for a full sized gun safe and these units work great. Price for the largest one is around $100. You can order them through ebay, Walmart, etc and often score free shipping.
https://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-cabinets/products/75

I thought about those but I do like the AR shot lock.
Quick access and pretty secure.
https://www.shotlock.com/ShotLock_AR.php

They are around $200, but I wouldn't need to cut a hole on my wall.
I was looking at those and I like them. I may still get one. The thing with the StackOn's though is that when the door is closed there is nothing in sight. Also, you can store extra things in them. They come with a little shelf for ammo, passports, etc. I Gorilla glued a couple of Harbor Freight magnets on the door to hold magazines.

IMG_20160427_132734.jpg

When the oldest started crawling, we locked up everything not on my person. The qun vault is pretty quick access other than that.

And Eddie Eagle is your friend. My kids love the song and sing it regularly. At 3 and 5, they can both tell you the 4 gun safety rules.

And at least the mom on the episode defended herself at first. Yes I have a gun. There is nothing wrong with that. Back off...

The only thing I don't like about the stack on is it's a key lock. When it's 2am and dark and your fumbling putting a key in a lock? Also one more thing to keep hidden or out of reach from the kids.

I like the idea to just carry all the time, but when I'm at home it's T-shirt and under armor shorts. Not the best carry wear. Unless I get some waist belt or something.

The only thing I don't like about the stack on is it's a key lock. When it's 2am and dark and your fumbling putting a key in a lock? Also one more thing to keep hidden or out of reach from the kids.

I like the idea to just carry all the time, but when I'm at home it's T-shirt and under armor shorts. Not the best carry wear. Unless I get some waist belt or something.
Yeah I agree. I don't keep everything in the StackOn. I also have several Gun Vaults with the finger key things. Those work great. You have to think in terms of strategery when setting up you're house. StackOn also has some keypad safes.

So I'm embarassed to say because of my wife I watch Grays anatomy. Tonight's episode was about two 8yr olds that found one of their mother's guns and one of them accidentally gets shot in the stomach and paralyzed.
And of course most of it is about how we don't need guns, guns are bad, blah, blah, blah. And it was really hard to watch the liberal rhetoric in it.

But the one good thing is it's a reminder about making sure your weapons are locked up and out of your children's reach.

So where's the line between keeping firearms handy for protection and keeping them secure from your little ones?
I have two handguns not in my safe and available for protection. They are well out of reach from my 3 1/2 year old, but I know much sooner than anyone ever expects.

What do you guys and girls do with your firearms and children?
the issue is not to prevent kids from getting at them... except for the VERY young, the same ones from whom we guard poisons, knives, chainsaws, etc.

No, instill in them from the beginning that these are tools, can harm, and that they must only be handled properly. Once they are not a mystery, or some "forbidden fruit", it will be no big deal for them. I've read of a number of "children", aged as young as ten, accessing firearms and stragetically using them to end a serious threat to the home from an intruder. My favourite is of the 11 year old boy.... breakin, perp has Mum backed up to a kitchem counter with a big chef's knife (picked up in the same kitchen, and NOT "locked up safely out of harm's way"). Kid runs upstairs, fetches up his own Daisey BB gun, assures it's full runs back downstairs and begins pelting the perp right in the face with it from across the kitchen. Perp makes an informed decision and quits the house. Later arrested as he sought medicla attention for his "gunshot wounds". Just think... if Mum had kept her don's BB gun locked up, she may well have been raped and otherwise assaulted with that big knife.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top