JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a chance last weekend to sight in my Savage .17hmr. I picked it up from Dicks and placed a BSA Sweet 17 3x9x40 on it I picked up at a gunshow. It is the bull barrel with thumbhole stock.

Wife still is trying to figure out why I bought the scope first and then a rifle a month later...all I can say is my plan worked!!!:D

I sighted in at ~50yds, didn't get a chance to go out to 100 due to the weather turning bad.

I was happy with the results so far. One warning though, if you don't want your kid to be able to out shoot you, don't pick one of these up. I had to take him to the pistol range to remind who the boss was. He still fliches a bit when I load up the hot 45 colt loads :)

4447717275_6e5950eaf8.jpg

Last Edited:
Makes me want to take mine out and see what it will do.
What manufactuer of ammo is your Savage liking best,i have some of the Hornady Varmint,Standard,and Federal on th shelf.
RK

Doesn't seem too picky although I've never sat down and tried getting groups with different ammo, I typically use Federal 17gr Vmax but I've also used CCI Vmax/FMJs and some Remington Vmax as well.

Makes me want to take mine out and see what it will do.
What manufactuer of ammo is your Savage liking best,i have some of the Hornady Varmint,Standard,and Federal on th shelf.
RK

I have tried the Hornady and Federal and didn't notice a huge difference, granted I wasn't pushing the distance at all. I am thinking about trying the 200-300 yd range at TCGC just to see how it does and to try out the turret on the scope. It may be funny to be lined up with some of the big bores.

Niiice.

I have mine dialed in right now. I did use the scope adjustments when I plastered the rabbit.

keep us updated. Want to know how the scope worked.
I do want to know how 300 worked with the scope.

Thanks for fixing the pic. Shooting this round has been more fun than I thought it would be. My Son enjoyed it as well. :)

Its a very fun round whether your punching paper or digger squirrels:) Which I noticed a couple in the pasture today... too bad I had other things I had to do today, other wise I could have popped a couple diggers squirrels.

Definitely a fun little round to pop clays and marshmallows at 100 yards!! Rounds aren't as cheap as .22LR but for longer range (than typical .22LR) target shooting it's a lot cheaper than the centerfire stuff. :s0155:

I need to play with my Savage .17HMR more often me thinks... :D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top