JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I been looking at getting one myself. I have heard not to really pay attention to the markings on the discs as they were marked almost 100 years ago and who knows how much they beens hot since then.

I been looking at getting one myself. I have heard not to really pay attention to the markings on the discs as they were marked almost 100 years ago and who knows how much they beens hot since then.
Just given ya my experience. It's a keeper and more. Happy face

I finally bought, from a long-time gun-show contact of both myself and my Dad, a gorgeous 1904-manufacture M/96. Early gas-escape hole in bolt, twice "crowned," or re-furbed, as evidenced by the two crowns on the underside of the wrist, and a "1" on the bore for wear. I like it quite a bit and am only sorry I didn't have the inclination, knowledge, and funds, to buy more of them when they first began to appear in profusion at gun-shows back when I was a teenager in the nineties. Back then I spent much of my time researching, drooling over, and amassing Japanese rifles - to the relative exclusion of much else mil-surp-related. I still love a Murata, Type 30, Type 35, Type 38, Type 44, or Type 99 - and variants thereof - but I am more and more into Mausers now so the '96 was a piece I finally got a hankering for and am very glad that I did.

Last Edited:
Paid $39 for one back in the 1980's. Haven't fired it and It's been sitting in the safe ever since. It'll probably go to my grandson some time in the future. They are nice hunting rifles. My son dropped his first deer with one.

Paid $39 for one back in the 1980's. Haven't fired it and It's been sitting in the safe ever since. It'll probably go to my grandson some time in the future. They are nice hunting rifles. My son dropped his first deer with one.

See, I just don't understand how you have a gun hidden away for a lifetime and not shoot it...autres pays autres facons, I guess. o_O

tac

Tac,

Woody06 might possibly be referring to selling it on-line to those in other states - in which case a C+R FFL is needed and a minimum of book-keeping as in tracking date of your sales work as per govt restrictions. You make a good point though as the amount of "red tape" incumbent upon one in such a context in the States here remains many orders of magnitude lower than in most of the rest of the world.

Our (read: "'Murica's") STILL - even in this glorious "post-Western, 'living document Constitution'" age that our own elite's tell us lies with greater and greater restrictions on our rights - comparatively more cynical view of many Federal government blandishments, at least regarding firearms transactions, means that not even the most vociferously anti-gun rights Democratic administration has yet been able to stop face-to-face un-papered gun sales.

Best,

Gunnar

Tac,

Woody06 might possibly be referring to selling it on-line to those in other states - in which case a C+R FFL is needed and a minimum of book-keeping as in tracking date of your sales work as per govt restrictions. You make a good point though as the amount of "red tape" incumbent upon one in such a context in the States here remains many orders of magnitude lower than in most of the rest of the world.

Our (read: "'Murica's") STILL - even in this glorious "post-Western, 'living document Constitution'" age that our own elite's tell us lies with greater and greater restrictions on our rights - comparatively more cynical view of many Federal government blandishments, at least regarding firearms transactions, means that not even the most vociferously anti-gun rights Democratic administration has yet been able to stop face-to-face un-papered gun sales.

Best,

Gunnar
What he said, I think

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR