Good rifle bench vise

Reactions
I'm looking for something to use on the workbench for doing rifle/shotgun maintenance and mounting/leveling optics. What are you guys using?

I've looked at a couple Tipton and Caldwell options, but they seem to be mostly plastic and pretty weak.

I'm not looking for a bench rest for shooting from, just something for using on the workbench.

MannyGlocks

Reactions
I've got a basic Tipton for all my AR type guns.

Nuttin fancy, but it works and for cleaning it works quite well.

I'll be using today as a matter of fact.

Reno

Reactions
Most of the time I just use my regular bench vise with rubber jaws. If I’m really worried about the finish I put a piece of hide between the gun and vice jaws for extra protection.

OP
Nosferatu
Reactions
Most of the time I just use my regular bench vise with rubber jaws. If I’m really worried about the finish I put a piece of hide between the gun and vice jaws for extra protection.
That's what I've been doing. I'm looking for something with a little more utility to it, mostly for mounting optics since I'm going blind and seem to need them on everything now!

Reno

Reactions
That's what I've been doing. I'm looking for something with a little more utility to it, mostly for mounting optics since I'm going blind and seem to need them on everything now!
I’ve tried the rifle specific ones (a Hyskore Vise), however locking it down in a regular vise using a level always worked better so I gave it away.

Unless you plan on bolting the rifle specific type vise to a workbench? I almost did this, but it takes up so much room.

Howard1955

Reactions
I was eyeballing that one, but a lot of the Amazon reviews don't shine it in a good light for durability and construction. How has it been working for you and how long have you had it?
I’ve had it for about a month, and so far it seems well-made and sturdy. I saw the reviews that said the clamps wouldn’t hold a rifle in place, but that’s not my experience. It tightens down and holds just fine for me.

gmerkt

Reactions
I have a version of the Tipton design. It says Winchester on it but it's only a label. It cost me 49 cents a pound at the Goodwill, weighs about 7 pounds so I guess I'm into it for about $3.50. It's worth what I paid for it. I've used it quite a bit.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    1911 guru!
    Tim Copeland rebuilt and refreshed an old Colt 1911 Gold Cup for me that needed all new springs, new extractor & replaced a loose ejector. Found...
    • Knute
  • 36 Pit
    4.00 star(s)
    Went here this morning. This was my first time shooting on public land in Oregon. The guys from Trash No Land were there as well as other...
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Good prices, interesting items
    I like taking a drive through farm country to this spot... nice selection.
    • kbf64
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Good Friday!
    Had a great first time visit that included a transfer, a special order, and some trading. Can't wait to come back! Also I realized after I got...
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
Top Bottom