JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for something to use on the workbench for doing rifle/shotgun maintenance and mounting/leveling optics. What are you guys using?

I've looked at a couple Tipton and Caldwell options, but they seem to be mostly plastic and pretty weak.

I'm not looking for a bench rest for shooting from, just something for using on the workbench.

Most of the time I just use my regular bench vise with rubber jaws. If I'm really worried about the finish I put a piece of hide between the gun and vice jaws for extra protection.

Most of the time I just use my regular bench vise with rubber jaws. If I'm really worried about the finish I put a piece of hide between the gun and vice jaws for extra protection.

That's what I've been doing. I'm looking for something with a little more utility to it, mostly for mounting optics since I'm going blind and seem to need them on everything now!

That's what I've been doing. I'm looking for something with a little more utility to it, mostly for mounting optics since I'm going blind and seem to need them on everything now!
I've tried the rifle specific ones (a Hyskore Vise), however locking it down in a regular vise using a level always worked better so I gave it away.

Unless you plan on bolting the rifle specific type vise to a workbench? I almost did this, but it takes up so much room.

This one is working well for me.

F83A8071-6AA6-405F-9EEE-FEA342F9B002.jpeg

I was eyeballing that one, but a lot of the Amazon reviews don't shine it in a good light for durability and construction. How has it been working for you and how long have you had it?

I've had it for about a month, and so far it seems well-made and sturdy. I saw the reviews that said the clamps wouldn't hold a rifle in place, but that's not my experience. It tightens down and holds just fine for me.

I have a version of the Tipton design. It says Winchester on it but it's only a label. It cost me 49 cents a pound at the Goodwill, weighs about 7 pounds so I guess I'm into it for about $3.50. It's worth what I paid for it. I've used it quite a bit.

I hadn't planned on it, but I could clamp it down on my welding bench when needed since it has t-slots.

What didn't you like about the Hyskore?
Bulky, for using it on occasion. I never used it to clean guns. Just mounting scopes. It was overkill.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top