JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Please forgive me if I am bringing up an old subject; I did do a search but didn't come up with anything.

I am sick of messing around with cheaply made scopes on my .22 (a Marlin Model 60 semi auto). Is there a quality scope that you guys like, but won't break my wallet - say around $100 or less?

Weaver Classic RV7 or Sightron SI.

I am still deciding between Weaver RV7 or RV9.

But beside all that, what is the rifle for? Hunting? Target? Target Match?

Most rim fire scopes have parallax set to 50 yard.

However, if you want to shoot accurate at 10-20 yard, you might consider getting scope with an A/O.

If you are shooting mostly at 50 yds. or less, you might want to consider a scope designed for air rifles. Their parallax is typically set closer than 50 yds., so if you want to shoot at closer ranges, particularly at power settings less than 4X, they will focus better.

They are also more durable than the typical bargain .22 scope because they have to be able to handle the recoil characteristics of an air rifle.

The best info here is to find a scope that is either pre-adjusted or adjustable to be parallax-free at rimfire ranges (50 yards or so). Ideally, you'd want one that is adjustable for your chosen range of shooting. The $100 mark might be tough to make for a scope with parallax adjustments, but some of the more economical brands may well offer it.

As a die-hard Leupold fan, I took a chance recently and bought a BSA for my .17HMR. It is one of the newer models (early ones were rumored pretty troublesome), and I put that scope through every torture test I could dream up before I put it on the gun (figuring I could get my money back if it failed). It did not fail. Then I mounted it on my .45-70 Guide Gun and shot the hell out of it (a rimfire scope!!). It did not fail. "Shot the squares" to test for adjustment accuracy and repeatability. It did not fail.

It is now on the .17, and has not failed. I keep staring at it suspiciously, and I really keep hoping it does fail, so all my previous convictions about "cheap scopes" can be confirmed. Its failure to fail is its only failure in my eyes.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top